Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Adverse possession? LOL. She is playing with your ignorance of the law. The only way it would be adverse possession is if you went to court and they gave the land to her. Start posting no trespassing signs.
I would have a property survey done. If the nasty neighbors trees are on your property....make her move them. When one allows individuals like this an inch....they just keep pushing the boundaries .....I too have an insane neighbor like yous...been putting up with their violations for 10 yrs....and they are my only neighbor. Property developers with too much $$$$$....and no morals... I could write a book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
I would have a property survey done. If the nasty neighbors trees are on your property....make her move them. When one allows individuals like this an inch....they just keep pushing the boundaries .....I too have an insane neighbor like yous...been putting up with their violations for 10 yrs....and they are my only neighbor. Property developers with too much $$$$$....and no morals... I could write a book
This is a very good idea - have a survey done.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Yes, I think you and TexasHorseLady are right. Just need to have a survey done and address any issues, if any exist.

Some folks get this "entitlement mentality" going and I will never understand it. The thing is . . .hubby and I have probably lost more money than this gal has made, LOL. She was an unmarried - in her 50s school teacher til she somehow hooked up with her Exec hubby, who was (I have been told) on rebound from a divorce.

BTW - talk about writing a book - her husband, who was Mr. Saintly Christian Guy - used to sneak down the hill and peek in my windows when I was here alone. I finally caught him doing it one day (and I sneaked outside and went around the house) and told him that, although I could understand his being fascinated w/ me and wanting to catch a glimpse of my gorgeous naked body, it was really tacky and disconcerting and if he wished to have an illicit affair with me, this was not the way to go about it - creeping me out. He was completely abashed and of course, terribly embarrassed and started saying he was just trying to see if anyone was home, blah blah blah. Yeah, by peaking in my BEDROOM window. Uh. I don't think so.

Just b/c folks have a little $$$, it doesn't mean they aren't totally wacked.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
[quote=TexasHorseLady;25799422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post

Apparently you didn't read the OP's post (#41) in which she says:

Yes, that is certainly something we have thought about, luv4horses. And I would put the price way up there - the land itself would be a nice hunka cash. But the truth is . . . I love it here. We are at the edge of Pisgah National forest and the land actually has virgin timber on it - HUGE trees and indigenous rhododendron all over. It is magical (for me, anyway). Plus, my elderly parents have a summer home about 20 mins from here and until they sell their place, we like being nearby to check on them. Most of all, my son has a job here and they live less than 10 minutes from this house, so we often have meals together. I am enjoying it as long as I can.

As far as an investment, the smart thing to do is sell it now and make as much money off it as possible but my heart says no. Maybe I am foolish but I keep thinking - things are going to change . . . folks die, get divorced, have serious illnesses . . . this crazy crap can't continue forever. Maybe I am wrong. I will give it some serious thought b/c I know you are advising the rational move to make and it would be nice to make enough money to pay off the rest of the mortgage on the main house and have no debt going into retirement, which is still more than a decade for me, but not so much for hubby.

Seems she has very good reasons for not turning tail and selling a property that in all other respects is perfect for her situation and that she loves.
Yes, I read that, too. I still don't understand it. There are many other fantastic places to summer.

Bottom line is: if the OP doesn't want to change anything she shouldn't whine about it. Just my humble opinion.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Many other fantastic places exactly like this with her elderly parents 20 minutes away and her son 10 minutes away. Plus the post about how she watched the ground being broken for this specific community when she was very young and decided at that point that that was where she wanted her summer place.

I can get how someone with close family ties would find that a location with everything they want in that proximity to family would be worth fighting for. Your mileage may vary.

And the OP does appear to be wanting to change things, just not to turn belly up and sell the place she loves because of one truly obnoxious neighbor. Who's to say there wouldn't be another obnoxious neighbor in whatever other "fantastic place to summer" she found? Is the idea to keep running from obnoxious neighbors, rather than taking action when they step over the line from obnoxious to illegal (as trespassing and destruction of property most certainly is)?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
perhaps he can not read....
After yesterday, we've decided he's just being downright obstinate. Hubby placed several fallen branches down the strip of land that "neighbor" mows to keep him off of it, and didn't he go and remove them!

Called the police, who stated:

I'm not sure, but I heard somewhere that you can't do anything because it's a PennDOT right of way. Bullsheet.

He's trespassing, plain and simple. You can bet that if we went across the road and started mowing his land along the 'right of way', there'd be hell to pay.

anifani, sweetie, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but want you to know you are not alone.

When "neighbor" collapses in the heat, gets hit by a speeding gas 'fracking' truck, or meets some other misfortune on our land, there better not be a WORD said. I will go off like a NASA rocket.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
After yesterday, we've decided he's just being downright obstinate. Hubby placed several fallen branches down the strip of land that "neighbor" mows to keep him off of it, and didn't he go and remove them!

Called the police, who stated:

I'm not sure, but I heard somewhere that you can't do anything because it's a PennDOT right of way. Bullsheet.

He's trespassing, plain and simple. You can bet that if we went across the road and started mowing his land along the 'right of way', there'd be hell to pay.

anifani, sweetie, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but want y
ou to know you are not alone.

When "neighbor" collapses in the heat, gets hit by a speeding gas 'fracking' truck, or meets some other misfortune on our land, there better not be a WORD said. I will go off like a NASA rocket.

If the police say is is right away.....then....does that make the city or county liable for any misfortune that might befall an individual trespassing on your side of the road....curious about this....

Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, I think you and TexasHorseLady are right. Just need to have a survey done and address any issues, if any exist.

Some folks get this "entitlement mentality" going and I will never understand it. The thing is . . .hubby and I have probably lost more money than this gal has made, LOL. She was an unmarried - in her 50s school teacher til she somehow hooked up with her Exec hubby, who was (I have been told) on rebound from a divorce.

BTW - talk about writing a book - her husband, who was Mr. Saintly Christian Guy - used to sneak down the hill and peek in my windows when I was here alone. I finally caught him doing it one day (and I sneaked outside and went around the house) and told him that, although I could understand his being fascinated w/ me and wanting to catch a glimpse of my gorgeous naked body, it was really tacky and disconcerting and if he wished to have an illicit affair with me, this was not the way to go about it - creeping me out. He was completely abashed and of course, terribly embarrassed and started saying he was just trying to see if anyone was home, blah blah blah. Yeah, by peaking in my BEDROOM window. Uh. I don't think so.

Just b/c folks have a little $$$, it doesn't mean they aren't totally wacked.
Boy have you got that right about the $$$$ does not necessarily = sanity

Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
It seems you're around a lot when "people" are coming to check your Jeep, so trot out there with your camera which takes dated shots and click away from various angles so that the person who's doing the checking can be seen as well as the exact location of the vehicle on your property.

As far as the invisible GM who has allegedly made a comment or two, no reason why you can't find who he is and where he is. Then write him a certified return receipt letter telling him what you've heard he's said about your situation and asking him to confirm. As far as the nosy old "b" neighbor, go online to a gag shop and purchase a bunch of stink bombs and then place them along the borderline of your property where she comes across. When she steps on a few of those nasties and releases their foul odor she'll soon stop.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Many other fantastic places exactly like this with her elderly parents 20 minutes away and her son 10 minutes away. Plus the post about how she watched the ground being broken for this specific community when she was very young and decided at that point that that was where she wanted her summer place.

I can get how someone with close family ties would find that a location with everything they want in that proximity to family would be worth fighting for. Your mileage may vary.

And the OP does appear to be wanting to change things, just not to turn belly up and sell the place she loves because of one truly obnoxious neighbor. Who's to say there wouldn't be another obnoxious neighbor in whatever other "fantastic place to summer" she found? Is the idea to keep running from obnoxious neighbors, rather than taking action when they step over the line from obnoxious to illegal (as trespassing and destruction of property most certainly is)?
Thank you for understanding that there are many reasons as to why I do not intend to give up this property -- or at least, when I do sell, it will be on my terms, not b/c of a neighbor.

I could not replace this home for less than $500K. There simply are no comparable properties (view, acreage, ingress/egress) where I am close to both my parents and my son. That's the thing about mountain/resort property - we can't make more. So I would have to shell out the money for a $500K property -- and that would be out of my price range. Way out of it. And who wants another mortgage going into retirement?

So no, I can't replace it. If I sell this house, I will never buy another second home.

We had considered adding on to this house and making it our primary residence at retirement. We still may do that.

I really appreciate the helpful suggestions (and the moments of humor!) on this thread. Alarm system will be installed this coming week. One camera is up; more to come.

I have a little "alligator" (pruning instrument w/ a tiny chain saw on the end) and will continue to clear the volunteer saplings on my property (trees less than 3 inches in diameter) so that no one can approach my property without being visible. In the last month, I have managed to clear what I would estimate to be about 900 square feet of property around my house. The big surprise was finding a native species of ground cover wh/ is on the endangered list - and which is flourishing since removing those saplings. I also found two beautiful wild cherry trees, a sasafras, three locusts, and a hemlock - and now they have room to spread out.

It is nice to know that while I am thinning out some of the volunteers on the property, I am also ensuring the longevity of some of the really desirable hardwoods that Mother Nature placed here.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-26-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate