Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 21,580 times

Advertisements

I was working with a broker for two weeks. he would usually find houses which I liked & he would show it to me. I found a house which I liked & put an offer on. The offer was rejected.
Now, I have parted ways with the broker & I did not have any buyer agency agreement with him.
I have started looking for houses with another agent but I have not found something which matches what I want. I cant seem to remove the first house from my mind, So I want to put an offer on it. Can I still put another offer on the same house with the new agent? Is there any time limit or so before I can do it.
Its not been much time since my first offer & also, would second broker get the commission or first one since he was the one who showed us the house first time.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Keep in mind that Real Estate rules and policies vary from state to state. In my opinion, the first realtor could file a complaint with their local board if the second realtor sells you the home. If that is the case, the second realtor could lose part of their commission, but it would not affect you directly.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house_confused View Post

I was working with a broker for two weeks. he would usually find houses which I liked & he would show it to me. I found a house which I liked & put an offer on. The offer was rejected.
Now, I have parted ways with the broker & I did not have any buyer agency agreement with him.
I have started looking for houses with another agent but I have not found something which matches what I want. I cant seem to remove the first house from my mind, So I want to put an offer on it. Can I still put another offer on the same house with the new agent? Is there any time limit or so before I can do it.
Its not been much time since my first offer & also, would second broker get the commission or first one since he was the one who showed us the house first time.

Thanks.

First, call the local Board of Realtors in that location and explain your dilemma, and take their advice.

Otherwise, unless you had a huge blowout or bad feelings with agent #1, why not contact Agent #1 who was actually showing you what you want, and did find you what you want. Call and tell him you want to put in another offer on that house, simplify your life and clear the air. Agent #2 was not showing you what you want.

If you want to be totally neutral, you might be able to call the listing agent and make an offer on the property with the listing agent. Frankly, I would not borrow trouble,, and would make the offer with Agent #1 who will appreciate your loyalty and avoid hard feelings. In other words, take the high road.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
First, call the local Board of Realtors in that location and explain your dilemma, and take their advice.

Otherwise, unless you had a huge blowout or bad feelings with agent #1, why not contact Agent #1 who was actually showing you what you want, and did find you what you want. Call and tell him you want to put in another offer on that house, simplify your life and clear the air. Agent #2 was not showing you what you want.

If you want to be totally neutral, you might be able to call the listing agent and make an offer on the property with the listing agent. Frankly, I would not borrow trouble,, and would make the offer with Agent #1 who will appreciate your loyalty and avoid hard feelings. In other words, take the high road.

I agree. Take the high road.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM

So, I can put an offer on the house. that's nice to know.
I was confused because like everyone said, I dont want to create bad blood with agent 1. But somehow I felt the deal on the house fell thru bcuz of him & if I try with another agent I might get the house(though I could be wrong about this).

Also, in reply to QuilterChick, the agent was not finding houses I liked. I was looking online on many sites actively & short listing the houses which I liked & wanted to see in person. So, he was technically just showing the house I found.

Feel like should forget this house, since so much anxiety is being created. Maybe after some time if I still feel the same for the house or have not found anything else should think about it.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by house_confused View Post
So, I can put an offer on the house. that's nice to know.
I was confused because like everyone said, I dont want to create bad blood with agent 1. But somehow I felt the deal on the house fell thru bcuz of him & if I try with another agent I might get the house(though I could be wrong about this).

Also, in reply to QuilterChick, the agent was not finding houses I liked. I was looking online on many sites actively & short listing the houses which I liked & wanted to see in person. So, he was technically just showing the house I found.

Feel like should forget this house, since so much anxiety is being created. Maybe after some time if I still feel the same for the house or have not found anything else should think about it.

Yes, you can put an offer on the house. BUT you need to check with your local Board of Realtors if you want to put an offer on that particular house because of the confusion caused. What is more important to you, getting the house you want, or further creating problems between agents?

At some point, please be loyal to ONE agent.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
...BUT you need to check with your local Board of Realtors if you want to put an offer on that particular house because of the confusion caused. What is more important to you, getting the house you want, or further creating problems between agents?

At some point, please be loyal to ONE agent.
Well, even though I'm an agent, If I were a buyer, getting the house would be more important than worrying about two agents that might have a compensation issue. Discuss your concern with your current agent and let him sort it out after you have him put an offer in. You have no responsibility to check with Realtor boards about an agent to agent issue.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Well, even though I'm an agent, If I were a buyer, getting the house would be more important than worrying about two agents that might have a compensation issue. Discuss your concern with your current agent and let him sort it out after you have him put an offer in. You have no responsibility to check with Realtor boards about an agent to agent issue.

Thanks for the reply...
Thats what i was feeling, house hunting,finding the house you love & putting an offer is already stressful & more important to me.
I just dont want myself stuck because of issues which might arise due to change of agents..

Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post

RJ? why are you replying to meeee ?? My reply to the OP about contacting the local Board was for him to check on what the repercussions, if any, would be if he went with Agent #2. In some Boards, it doesn't matter. But in others, it might. And in my 23 yrs. experience as a Realtor, compensation to the agent gets more attention that it should. Even after the NAR and local Boards make valiant attempts to educate the public as to an agent's fiduciary duty(ies). Even some attorneys don't like Realtors when they see the commission paid on the HUD sheet. LOL ! They have no clue how it gets divided up to a faretheewell.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
RJ? why are you replying to meeee ?? My reply to the OP about contacting the local Board was for him to check on what the repercussions, if any, would be if he went with Agent #2. ...
I was trying to point out that the OP should not be concerned with agent to agent compensation issues and contacting Realtor boards. There is no repercussion for the buyer, only the agents if one should try to claim procuring cause. The OP does not have an employment contract with the first agent to worry about. They also can't interfere with the buyer's purchase contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate