Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM

93 posts, read 326,055 times

Advertisements

I'm reading here, and trying to keep myself grounded.....

But I can't help feeling a bit excited! It's been a GREAT day!

I met with my agent last night to finalize the listing of my house, and he put up the sign as he was leaving at around 8Pm last night.

This morning, he calls, and wants to tour today - I told him to feel free, all he wants -

Just spoke to him, he's done two tours already today - one wants to come back tomorrow with his wife, another is considering it for an investment property (to rent out), and another agent is having yet another tour in it at 2:30.

The house isn't even on the MLS yet!! (agent didn't have a chance to upload this morning, he expects to have it up around 3pm)

Is it normal to have an initial 'spurt' of activity? Or do I owe my agent (as my son would say) 'mad props'?? :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
Both!! and you owe yourself mad props too!! I hope that something comes off the activity. and it doesn't, you should get some good feedback early on to adjust to. keep us posted.

Shelly

Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Its a good thing that you have some activity. However you cannot get your hopes up, especially in this market. You're house is on the "hot" sheet for a little while in realtor speak.

Are you prepared w/a counter if you receive an offer?

How about a lowball offer? Do you have specific $$ amounts to counter with?

You need to think about all different types of scenerios NOW before they come up.

There will be saavy buyers out there looking to purchase your home for a song and a dance most likely. Are you willing to sell it for a lot lower than your intended price point?

Make sure your realtor gets HONEST feedback from the Realtor's who tour your house.

good luck and keep us informed.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Yeah, we're pulling for feedback, though so far it's all positive (some constructive negative would be nice :P). As for offers, we've considered them all and made a chart from $0 - $asking and what we'll counter with We're priced just below average sale price per square foot for our neighborhood, and we can "easily" take as low as 12% below asking. Below that we're willing and able to go another 7-8%, but want to avoid it if possible. And of course, we're willing to revisit those numbers if things aren't moving in a month or so. Having said that, we have the capacity to hold on to this house nearly indefinitely (not fun, but possible), so at some point it becomes a cost/benefit analysis - will we be better off dropping the price further, or just taking it off the market and waiting 6 months or something?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
I think taking it off is the worst thing a seller can do if they HAVE to sell. I honestly don't get that mentality at all?? What is the BENEFIT of waiting 6 months?? The market obv is going to be flooded w/foreclosures and tons of inventory in the spring. If sellers think its bad now, wait...

(this is not directed at you, personally..)

I would seriously work w/what you have now and get aggressive w/selling now...

Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM

well, being the end of the first day on market, not really a question I have to face yet :P But if showings slow I'll keep that in mind I do 'have to sell', but I'm not in any way limited on time. I see what you're saying about foreclosures; good point there - my earlier comments were simply 'thinking out loud'. The only thing we've planned right now is our immediate workable price range ... Which I think still leaves us plenty of maneuvering room in the short term.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 PM

27 posts, read 123,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiance View Post
I'm reading here, and trying to keep myself grounded.....

But I can't help feeling a bit excited! It's been a GREAT day!

I met with my agent last night to finalize the listing of my house, and he put up the sign as he was leaving at around 8Pm last night.

This morning, he calls, and wants to tour today - I told him to feel free, all he wants -

Just spoke to him, he's done two tours already today - one wants to come back tomorrow with his wife, another is considering it for an investment property (to rent out), and another agent is having yet another tour in it at 2:30.

The house isn't even on the MLS yet!! (agent didn't have a chance to upload this morning, he expects to have it up around 3pm)

Is it normal to have an initial 'spurt' of activity? Or do I owe my agent (as my son would say) 'mad props'?? :P
Congratulations Defiance!!! That's fantastic that you've already got some activity. Just think... some people can't get anyone to come so you're already part of the way there....Showings and interest is a great thing

I don't want to say you should get your hopes up but you should definitely be happy and excited... Just because the market sucks, it doesn't mean that things can't still happen quickly! I'm in a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE market and my house sold in 36 hours!! So it CAN happen!! And not everyone will make a low ball offer or ask for closing or try to walk over you. Good things can still happen so think positively and hang on for the ride

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Well, so far mostly so good... Still no offers, but the 7th tour is going on as we speak, with another scheduled at 5:30 today and yet another scheduled for 4:30 tomorrow...

Unfortunately feedback as been pretty sparse. One tour from the first day said he loved it, but his wife was at a convention and he wanted to show her when she got back. No word from him since. The other agent from the first day said her buyer thought it was 'too small' ... can't fix that - we've done all we know how to make it look bigger, but some people just need more room, which is fine, others can be very comfortable in 900 sqft as long as it's not a family with kids or anything. Anyway, other than that, one of the people who toured it yesterday said they wanted to bring their parents in from out of town to look at it next weekend (not sure why, but ok...), and not one of the others has given any feedback at all, regardless of my agent pestering them for it... Actually, as I was typing this, my realtor texted me that another previous tour responded that "The closets were too small and not enough cabinets in kitchen, but LOVE location"

So we're going to try to figure out ways to make the closets look larger and maybe clean out some cabinets? Probably not much I can do there, but we'll try optimizing how we have our clothes to look more spacious and maybe pack away all the dishes we don't need in the short term...

Anyone who wants to critique, feel free:
View Listings (http://carmls.fnismls.com/publink/default.asp?GUID=549906ab-3f7f-4467-9ef5-8f3dcfc19340&Report=Yes - broken link)

But given the amount of traffic, I think the listing is probably fine, we just need to find ways to 'close the deal' so to speak Or more likely, we just need to be patient - a young couple who loves the neighborhood, or a single professional (especially a guy, since I think they're probably less likely to care about cabinet space) would really be a GREAT fit for this place.

*edit* - agent just called again - in addition to the 5:30 today another one is squeezing in at 5 and he also set another one up tomorrow at 10... I think that's more than 10 total tours scheduled... whew...

Last edited by defiance; 10-15-2007 at 02:56 PM..

Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
When I make a listing presentation, I always warn the seller that there might be the guy on the street who is looking for exactly what the seller has to offer, so don't be surprised if we come up with an offer right away. When that does happen, it's hard to convince the seller that the price wasn't too low after the offer is made. Sounds like you have a great property with all the activity. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Just be patient, your getting plenty of activity so "your" person will show up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate