Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times

Advertisements

from Reuters

BofA CEO: Owning a home is not an asset - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Thanks emilybh.....I have come to that conclusion....even though the market is so miserable, I am going ahead with selling my home and moving to my favorite vacation spot to retire, since there is no way to know if and when things will improve....while I will not lose any money with the sale, it will not bring what it once would have of course, so not a very "good investment" after all.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:27 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I don't think a home should be considered just 'an investment' either. It should be a place that belongs to the whole family that invokes pride of ownership and a love for the place. When it is only a financial stepping stone, this is when people find it easy to walk away when the going gets rough....instead of fighting for it. Hard to put into words, but I do understand the difference.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I read the article in the link.
Did anybody else read the article in the link?

The thread title and resulting conversation do not seem to reflect the thrust of the article.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,584,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I read the article in the link.
Did anybody else read the article in the link?

The thread title and resulting conversation do not seem to reflect the thrust of the article.
Right, the point was that population growth in some states is no longer driving appreciation of home values.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Realtors better start beng honest about home ownership just like TimeShare salesmen were forced to be. Buying a home is a lifestyle choice period.That is all it has ever been except for during the bubble period.

This is from an old lecture of Peter Schiff's author of Crash Proof; How and Economy Grows and Why it Crashes and Little Book of Bull Moves in a Bear Market. He predicted the Real Estate bubble long before anyone else did and he is a regular guest on CNBC; has his own investment firm Euro Pacific Capital
YouTube - Peter Schiff bursting the myth House = Investment

Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Of course, people refuse to read any farther. The man is spot on:

"They should be thinking of it as a great place to live."

If only people bought a home to live in it, we won't be in this mess today. Instead, a million folks got greedy and they fed the greed of their bankers and brokers.

I think he's been taken out of context (the usual media spinning, sensationalist headlining baloney). Nothing is good to invest in right now, except some BRIC ETF.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Here's further clarification by Peter Schiff of Real Estate that would be an investment . By the way, he ended up buying the home he was renting for lifestyle reasons though.

YouTube - Real Estate 101

Oh and here is one of the many many YouTube clips that people have made showing that Peter Schiff was right and all the "experts" that thought he was a Kook were DEAD WRONG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXkqGvd3gY

Last edited by emilybh; 04-17-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks emilybh.....I have come to that conclusion....even though the market is so miserable, I am going ahead with selling my home and moving to my favorite vacation spot to retire, since there is no way to know if and when things will improve....while I will not lose any money with the sale, it will not bring what it once would have of course, so not a very "good investment" after all.
After selling my home of 18 years at the end of 2007 and moving to where I thought I would want to retire, I'm still renting..and glad I haven't bought as I can't deal with the climate. However, I miss being able to make the changes and upgrades I want and I expect to buy my next place but I don't have any visions of making a killing on it when I, if I ever sell it.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Here's further clarification by Peter Schiff of Real Estate as an investment . By the way, he ended up buying the home he was renting for lifestyle reasons though.

YouTube - Real Estate 101
Peter Schiff did not write the original article that was misquoted in the thread title to make a point that is not supported in the article.

(Written by a real estate agent and REALTOR® from a perspective of intellectual curiosity, integrity, and ethics, none of which are admissible characteristics to some folks if their "facts" do not support their agenda.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate