Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

Should we bring a inspector to our walk through. The seller is not trust worthy. We think he is going to remove many built in items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
where are the agents - yours and his? An inspector doesn't pass judgement on a fixture being removed.

If you really feel that way, and have time (Seller hasn't moved out) then you should get your friendly agent to speak with the Seller's agent to say clearly "please remind your Seller that all of the fixtures remain. we'd hate to delay the closing or even find him at fault for breaching the contract"

Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
4+ year old topic. OP Last Activity: 01-07-2013.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Andrade View Post
Should we bring a inspector to our walk through. The seller is not trust worthy. We think he is going to remove many built in items.
Are you going to pay for an inspector to be there?

The walk thru is to make sure the home is in the agreed condition at the time the deal was made with any appliances that were in the contract. It's also to make sure there is no one living there and that it's clean and everything has been removed. You can also check to make sure everything works like the electric, water A/C and heat. IF anything is wrong tell them you need it fixed before you close.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM

This is a sell by owner. He has hired a realtor to do all the paperwork.
The seller says he is taking all built in kitchen appliances including built in Sub Zero fridge.
The home cost is over one million dollars. I do not think he has sold anything before.
He inharated the home.
Has us worried

Old 02-27-2017, 05:46 PM

One hint Laurie. Do your final walk through LATE on the day before closing. Even better, see if you can set your signing appointment for late closing day, then do your final walk through on the MORNING of closing day!

Then see if you can convince your realtor to hand you your keys as soon as it's recorded. Same day as COE. Have a 24 hour locksmith on hand and have the house re-keyed.

Laurie if you are buying a million dollar house you surely have it together enough to tell for yourself if anything is missing when you do your final walk through. And you'll have your Realtor with you to help jog your memory or spot out of place things.

Oh and here's another great, calming idea. Take a camera and shoot, shoot, shoot on your final walk through. A good digital cam will let you shoot faster and more, but use your phone if that's all you got. I can shoot like 300 pictures an hour using my DSLR camera. With a big memory stick I think it holds like 10,000 pictures!

And your inspector won't be of any help. His job is to find broken or out of code things, not count refrigerators, and inspectors need to get paid. Your inspector has probably seen 100 houses since the last time he saw your house.

I sure hope this post isn't a troll. Most of the 1st post dead topic revivals turn out to be trolls. Not to say yours is. Only you know that.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:12 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Andrade View Post
This is a sell by owner. He has hired a realtor to do all the paperwork.
The seller says he is taking all built in kitchen appliances including built in Sub Zero fridge.
The home cost is over one million dollars. I do not think he has sold anything before.
He inharated the home.
Has us worried
what does your contract say about these items? If they are not specifically excluded, typically fixtures would convey. If you want them and your understanding is they are part of the purchase, then you'd better have your attorney on notice, not a home inspector.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 PM

I am not a troll (what is a troll)
Thank you all for your advice. My husband and I have purchased many homes before, but never by owner!
Realtors are worth their weight in gold!
I will now sleep better because of all your advice

If it does not feel right, don't do it.

Thank you all and have a good night!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 PM

We get a lot of people posting just to stir up topics. It appears you are not one of them. I suggest in the future it is better to start a new topic rather than adding on a very old one. If nothing else you are not limited by what went on before you resurrected the topic.

I agree that a good Realtor is a very good thing. I am sure your Realtor will be very happy to advise you during your final walk through. (Besides, you can't get in without your Realtor!)

Your Realtor can also be a legal witness as to what seen on final walk through. And if it makes you feel better take a lot of pictures. If something is missing during your final, your Realtor will be able to halt the COE until your concerns are addressed. If something disappears during closing your Realtor and your camera will be great evidence and testimony of seller's wrongdoing.

For what it's worth, I too would be very nervous buying a FSBO.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Is there anything stopping you from doing a walk through right before closing? I always walk the house with the buyer literally on the way to the attorney's office to sign closing documents.

I would also have my Realtor let their Realtor know that any contractual items removed from the property are going to be an issue and cause a delay in closing, so please review these items with the seller.

I had this last month...a seller removed light fixtures, drapes, etc (those items convey per our contract) from the house. Pottery Barn drapes. In. Every. Room. They replaced chandeliers with cheap builder grade lights. The agent's response was they just didn't go over the contract with the sellers because "we use electronic documents so we aren't sitting down in front of our clients anymore". Um, ever heard of a PHONE?? By that time (this was the day before closing) those items were halfway to Florida on a moving truck. Seller had to pay some $$$ at closing to replace them. Still frustrating for my clients, and would have been avoided had the agent just gone over the dang contract with his clients.

Make sure you are clear on your contract and all agreed upon terms. I have not heard of sellers taking built in appliances...unless that is contractually agreed to I would not think he could do this. This is specifically spelled out in our contract docs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate