Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM

582 posts, read 2,010,308 times

Advertisements

The buyer of my home had her agent contact us about purchasing household items. We gave a list of items that we were hoping to sell at some point and replace (some older furniture) and the prices we need for it to be able to afford the difference on the price of new items.

The woman just showed up to my house with her friend to discuss how much cheaper the other homes in the neighborhood are and how one person has two of everything so they would have left the house furnished. She is buying my house, if she wanted to have a house full of furniture for free she should have just gone and bought the other one. We're 8 days from closing and she shows up in my house to try and guilt us into making things cheaper! I don't know, but something about that really bothers me. I tried to explain that we didn't have two of everything so we couldn't just give it away, and whatever we sold to her had to be replaced so we needed to be able to afford it.

Is it just me, or would that bother you too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

345 posts, read 1,579,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
The buyer of my home had her agent contact us about purchasing household items. We gave a list of items that we were hoping to sell at some point and replace (some older furniture) and the prices we need for it to be able to afford the difference on the price of new items.

The woman just showed up to my house with her friend to discuss how much cheaper the other homes in the neighborhood are and how one person has two of everything so they would have left the house furnished. She is buying my house, if she wanted to have a house full of furniture for free she should have just gone and bought the other one. We're 8 days from closing and she shows up in my house to try and guilt us into making things cheaper! I don't know, but something about that really bothers me. I tried to explain that we didn't have two of everything so we couldn't just give it away, and whatever we sold to her had to be replaced so we needed to be able to afford it.

Is it just me, or would that bother you too?
that would really bother me too!! I recently posted on another thread the "entitlement" issues of some people. I cannot believe that! I would never have said/done something like that. I just don't know where people (buyers) are getting their information from...that we (sellers) are supposed to lie back and let them completely walk all over us and our stuff!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Exactly! She should never have done that in person, she should have taken a look at what she could afford and made an offer through her agent. Worse part is it's my husband's birthday and per his request we were to have a nice relaxing evening with his favorite food and hockey on tv. All he wanted was a relaxing, not worrying about the move next week and closings and such, few hours. He was even ok knowing we were going to have to do some packing after the hockey game, he just wanted his time.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 PM

940 posts, read 1,368,290 times
That really takes some set!!! I think that was really off the wall and yes, I agree with momoffive, the buyers are just expecting way too much, some of us are already at a loss and it's to their advantage. When is enough, really enough now a days!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,320,811 times
Buyers want EVERYTHING in this market. Good for you for not caving in. Really-she shouldn't have even come without your agent being there.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 PM

She just walked on over, staying with her friend who lives nearby. Now, honestly, some of the stuff we were going to sell her was really extra stuff. BUT, that doesn't mean we want to give it away.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,347,487 times
She knew ahead of time what was/was not included. For everything else:
Madam, if you want this, make a check for an extra $XX.xx .

I know it is the buyers market but common, some common sense people.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:10 PM

She's supposed to be letting us know tomorrow how much she can afford... so whatever she can afford that is how much of the stuff she can buy from us. We're not giving it away, no chance of that. We already have a new sofa on order and will need to add to the order so we can replace anything else she buys so she's covering part of that.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM

631 posts, read 2,447,399 times
She should not have come over, but nothing in the law says she can't. It's back to dealing with the public and what comes with it. Hard to say how to handle it in your shoes on that day, but the best answer for the future is have your agent call my agent please.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
When we were buying this house, our seller did something like that. She called me to ask if I would buy her dining room set for $1500 ; it was only 2 years old, but I could get something like it cheaper.
Then she was harrassing everybody to move the closeing as soon as possible. Well our mortgage co moved very quick and we were able to close. However she called me screaming that she didnt have a place to live and wouldnt close for at least 3 weeks. I was all packed up. My idea was to have her move into my old house as we didnt sell it until she was ready. That worked and we moved as soon as possible.
She as also mad as she was getting divorced and also she thought we got a good deal ; we paid full price and she took her fridge.
some sellers eh?
dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate