Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,222,629 times

Advertisements

Relative is selling their house and before putting it up for sale had it appraised by an independent fee appraiser. They came in at $382k. 4 Realtors said to list it at $385k - no higher. They were approached by a buyer going VA and agreed on a price of $395k. Less than 40 days after receiving the regular appraisal, the VA appraiser came in at.... wait for it.... $395k. No new sales in area.

How can this happen? Does not compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:40 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,942,515 times
That's a difference of less than 3%, which is considered acceptable when comparing appraisals. Appraising is not a black and white, not "this is how it must be"....but, an opinion of value and how that opinion was formed.

An appraiser does review the purchase contract and if it's within their methodology to support that sales price, they will. But they won't toss their process to make the deal work. Most appraisers I know will look good and hard before bringing in a low appraisal. But there are some contracts that are just plain, " ah hell no" when they are received, and the appraiser knows the area and knows it just is not happening. In the dark ages, if I sent such an order in (an ah hell no) to this one appraiser, I would invariably get the call asking what is everyone smoking before even scheduling the appointment. Lol, looking back, I think it was his schedule the appraiser was protecting, knowing it would be appeal after appeal before the fork would be put in the deal. That was how I knew a low one was in the works.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:35 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,623,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
That's a difference of less than 3%, which is considered acceptable when comparing appraisals. Appraising is not a black and white, not "this is how it must be"....but, an opinion of value and how that opinion was formed.

An appraiser does review the purchase contract and if it's within their methodology to support that sales price, they will. But they won't toss their process to make the deal work. Most appraisers I know will look good and hard before bringing in a low appraisal. But there are some contracts that are just plain, " ah hell no" when they are received, and the appraiser knows the area and knows it just is not happening. In the dark ages, if I sent such an order in (an ah hell no) to this one appraiser, I would invariably get the call asking what is everyone smoking before even scheduling the appointment. Lol, looking back, I think it was his schedule the appraiser was protecting, knowing it would be appeal after appeal before the fork would be put in the deal. That was how I knew a low one was in the works.
BINGO

Hard to believe the OP is in disbelief over a difference of 3%.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:35 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,774,875 times
An appraisal is subjective- it's not cut in stone. You've got a 3.5% +/_ difference in value. It doesn't mean much.

Example, relocation companies have two regular appraisals done on a home, plus a real estate broker's opinion of value. They are looking for price spreads of those three values within 5% of each other to base their buyout figure.

No one is expecting identical values, that would be unusual.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 AM

An appraisal is subjective but based on comparables - isn't it? So is the appraiser smarter than all the agents who wanted to list it at $385k? If he didn't know what the contract price was - do you think he would have come in at $395k?

It's a VA loan with taxpayers on the hook.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,152,595 times
So what would you think an acceptable +/- would be? 0%? less than 1%??

Old 11-17-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
An appraisal is subjective but based on comparables - isn't it? So is the appraiser smarter than all the agents who wanted to list it at $385k? If he didn't know what the contract price was - do you think he would have come in at $395k?

It's a VA loan with taxpayers on the hook.
Most agents realize that a lower list price means a quicker sale.

As far as the appraiser knowing the contract price....maybe and maybe not. But a contract offer is an action of the market and law requires that the appraiser must make every reasonable attempt to verify and analyze pending offers and contracts.

Also, you are making the assumption that the first appraisal was more accurate than the second. Why is that?

Last edited by ETex2; 11-17-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Most agents realize that a lower list price means a quicker sale.
A list price 13k lower than the appraiser came in at and the buyer offered?

Quote:
As far as the appraiser knowing the contract price....maybe and maybe not. But a contract offer is an action of the market and law requires that the appraiser must make every reasonable attempt to verify and analyze pending offers and contracts.
you contradicted yourself in the same sentence -- and they knew the contract price - said so in the statement of value.

Quote:
Also, you are making the assumption that the first appraisal was more accurate than the second. Why is that?
why wouldn't I ? I read the first appraisal and saw the comps.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,004,853 times
Yes it does compute.

Would you have been happier if one or both of the appraisals came in UNDER contract price?

Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
A list price 13k lower than the appraiser came in at and the buyer offered? (!)

you contradicted yourself in the same sentence -- and they knew the contract price - said so in the statement of value. (2)

why wouldn't I ? I read the first appraisal and saw the comps.(3)

(1) of course, assuming the suggest list price was before the VA financed offer

(2) You said "If he didn't know what the contract price was - do you think he would have come in at $395k?" I was merely answering your question regarding the appraiser coming in at the contracted value.

(3) And you agree with the reasoning and analysis? You are qualified to estimate and apply appropriate adjustments, etc.?

If you know so much about appraisals, maybe you should've just offered to do the appraisal yourself. Wonder how that would work out for you?

Bottom line - a 3% difference in appraisal values is within a normal range. You "seeing" the comps means nothing since you are not an appraiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate