Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I wish all real estate agents had your attitude.

Here are snippets of my conversation with the real estate agent:

Me: So what kind of heat does it have? Hot air (pointing to vents)?
Agent: I'm not really sure. I think so.
Me: Does the property go back to that line of bushes?
Agent: I don't really know. It looks like it.
Me: Is there gas in the house?
Agent: Beats me.
Me: Where are the renovations that the listing talked about?
Agent: (chuckle)

Here are rough snippets of our e-mail exchange:
Me: It looks like we might have a serious offer on our home, so we would like to take a look at
[specific addresses of two properties for sale]. We would like to see them between
[specific dates and times]. Please let us know if this works for you and the sellers. Thanks.
Agent: Sure. Just let me know when you're available.
Me: We are both taking days off during the holidays so we have flexibility on [specific days].
Please let me know what days or times work best. Thanks.
Agent: Sounds good. Let me know when you're available.
There was a little girl, Who had a little curl, Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, She was very good indeed, But when she was bad she was horrid.
— Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM

10 posts, read 16,558 times
We were told the only disclosure needed was on the P & S. We never received the typical seller's transfer disclosure. Both listings and the inspection indicated NO septic. Also appears the sellers were both realtors and owners of the property which is supposed to be disclosed in writing. I found this out later on in my research. We had no lids or any indication there was a septic at all.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM

In NH there is a a question about the sewer system and it has to be disclosed. The inspection listed public water and sewage disposal.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 AM

Report indicated public water and public sewage system.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM

We would have had an inspection had we known as we did with our home in NH. We did have an Agent who knew the listing agent and sold many properties in the area we bought so she was quite aware of there being a septic. Through research I found out the sellers (real estate agents) are big into flip flopping houses in Southwest Florida. Our neighbors said that no one in the area had any problems in 20 years so we figured let it be. Within months there was an odor and puddles in the lawn. I called various departments and finally was told there had been complaints by neighbors in thepast about odors coming from the front of our lawn. We had it pumped out and got three different septic companies and they all said it had to be replaced including the drainfields. We never knew about the septic and when we did my husband said let it be since no one seems to have any problems. Well, we did.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Listing said county water. Inspection said public. Why would we ask if there was a septic>

Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congresso View Post
Report indicated public water and public sewage system.
This is the important part right here. If you have something from someone that says you have public water & public sewer on the property, then you had no reason to attempt a septic inspection. You relied upon the written information given to you. So your issue is with those who provided that info. Based on the facts you've presented here, I would suggest it looks like you were INTENTIONALLY misled (though I may certainly be wrong about that.) I would pursue a remedy from those who misled you.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I think you're saying is that the house was hooked up to a public system but still has the old tank in the ground and it needs digging out/filling in before it collapses? And since the house is no longer hooked to the old system but is hooked to the public system it probably didn't say it on the report, but if the agent knew, to me that should be a part of proper disclosure. "just so you know, the old tank is still in the backyard and will require about $5000 to fill","maybe we should make that part of the contract".

It may be too late, I don't know, perhaps worth a call to the state board to find out what to do.

For my rented home I know there is a public sewer now available, but it will cost me something like $8,000 to hook into it and thousands more for the digging filling of the old tank, and its County required that to hook to the sewer the home owner HAS to neutralize the old tank. Can't do one without the other.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Ummmm have you been paying for public utilities all this time?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Thank you Bill. We bought the house the day before we were returning up North which was the day we saw it.We bought the house with the intention of it being where we are planning to retire next year. Our agent said she knew a great inspector and we agreed to that. We had a contingency that if the inspection found any issues we could back out. We relied on that report and both listings we received. We were not from the area and had no knowledge that the entire area was on septic. She sold other houses on the same street so our agent and the listing agent both had to be aware of this. According to the Statues if the sellers (who are realtors which we did not know at the time) are also the owners of the property it should be divulged in writing. Is that correct? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate