Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't. But, more important than the number of renter occupied units, are the number of units owned by the same person or entity. If there were a lot of REOs in the building, it's possible an apartment company negotiated low prices for many units in the complex, which may have more or less turned it into an apartment complex. When a large chunk of units are owned by the same entity, that entity effectively controls the association, which is a much worse problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I wouldn't if they are vacation renters.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM

141 posts, read 234,731 times
Thanks for all of the replies

Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I looked at some lofts for sale and as I was touring the building the property manager stated that the building is over 50% renters.

Would you buy in a building that has 50% of it's units being rented?

I am sure the units are being rented out by loft unit owners.
Most likely not. The interests of renters and absentee landlords, on the one hand, don't line up well with occupying kwners. This usually translates into a lower quality of life for owners.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
I would, and actually intend to do so within the next year. It is a good thing as far as I am concerned, in the respect that it keeps the HOA fees from getting out of control.

Although it does depend on the size/location/intent of the buy. In my situation we are talking a 1 BR condo that I intend on renting out after I cease living there.. If I was buying a nice 1200 square foot condo I intended on living in forever, I might be concerned.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,523 times
Typically it would need to be an all cash purchase so you should be able to get it for a big discount because banks will not lend in a less than 50% owner occupied community. The only problem is you will only be able to sell if you owner finance or find and all cash buyer unless you wait until the owner occupancy rate comes up over 50%

Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,898 times
The lack of financing, or at least affordable financing, on a unit with a high % of renters really takes down the value. I'm an appraiser, and the complexes we have in our market with high %'s of renters are usually among the lowest priced units out there.

Most condo mgt companies try really hard to not allow the % to exceed a certain thresshold in order to maintain values. Once you force buyers to pretty much have to have cash then you've eliminated the majority of typical buyers and values will react accordingly

Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Completely depends on what market segment you are talking about. I.E. Places like Manhattan, where everyone is renter because to buy in the city is expensive....it may work out for you. Depends on the demographics, Economics, Area.

As RE Agents say..location location location...and while it may not apply in your case since you want to buy, you may want to rent it out later so the numbers should be strong for that, likewise, if you may need to sell, you will need to "pitch" that idea to a potential buyer.

If its in an area/city..where rentals are quite common (major metro in the US)..then may be worth considering, if not...I personally wouldnt...only because I wouldnt want to deal with the transient population.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I looked at some lofts for sale and as I was touring the building the property manager stated that the building is over 50% renters.

Would you buy in a building that has 50% of it's units being rented?

I am sure the units are being rented out by loft unit owners.
No, I think that would be a poor investment in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate