Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,256 times

Advertisements

After sending a certified letter to the builder and getting no reply try getting his attention with a big yard sign. A simple 4x8 sheet of plywood with red lettering should get his attention. What ever you write keep it simple and truthful. If after a couple of days you don't get a call from the builder maybe a picket sign you carry up and down the sidewalk infront of his office. Still no reply how about picketing in front of the real estate office. How about a picture of you picketing sent to the local paper.

Just be truthful and stay on public property and you will be fine. No slander. Be prepared when contacted by the builder with a specific set of demands of what you need fixed and when you expect it to be fixed by. I can gaureentee when you start his new customers questioning him as to what is going on he will do anything to appease you. When you start to affect his pocketbook he will respond to you asap. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM

78 posts, read 109,396 times
"The_Loper"...I have sent you a private message. Thank you.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
When I bought my current house, we closed with a punch list. As a Realtor, I knew it was a bad idea, but they were 4 months late in the completion of the home as we went through 3 different superintendants, and we had to get here. My husband's accounts had already switched to Austin and I had already changed my license over to an Austin broker and was already working with clients.

It took 11 months to get our punch list completed and even longer than that to finish things that weren't punched correctly. What finally got results is that I have a highly read blog in the area. I wrote a post and emailed it to the VP of the company asking if he would like to proof anything before I posted it, and immediately I received a call to get someone over to fix things.

The problem there was we went through 4 customer service reps. Whenever someone was finally getting things done, they were sent to a new community and we had to start over. I would rewrite a post, and email it again for more response. They really do respond to the potential of bad publicity.

With that, I'll say you've been in the house barely a month. Most builders have an automatic 60 day customer service check up to come fix things, and then again at 10-11 months. They're probably waiting for you to get settled, use the mechanics in the house, and then come out and get things done. Threats by attorneys is not the way to go at this short time of ownership.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
When I bought my current house, we closed with a punch list. As a Realtor, I knew it was a bad idea, but they were 4 months late in the completion of the home as we went through 3 different superintendants, and we had to get here. My husband's accounts had already switched to Austin and I had already changed my license over to an Austin broker and was already working with clients.

It took 11 months to get our punch list completed and even longer than that to finish things that weren't punched correctly. What finally got results is that I have a highly read blog in the area. I wrote a post and emailed it to the VP of the company asking if he would like to proof anything before I posted it, and immediately I received a call to get someone over to fix things.

The problem there was we went through 4 customer service reps. Whenever someone was finally getting things done, they were sent to a new community and we had to start over. I would rewrite a post, and email it again for more response. They really do respond to the potential of bad publicity.

With that, I'll say you've been in the house barely a month. Most builders have an automatic 60 day customer service check up to come fix things, and then again at 10-11 months. They're probably waiting for you to get settled, use the mechanics in the house, and then come out and get things done. Threats by attorneys is not the way to go at this short time of ownership.
I would add neither is the yard sign. The minute you do that you start a war. It's one you may win (sort of) in the end but not before slogging through the proverbial waist deep snow with no shoes on.
We had a builder like that and what I did was find out where the office was (local thankfully) and paid a visit to the head honcho list in hand. I was polite in explaining that their site worker must be so busy and we must have been forgotten but we really need to get these things finished.
That worked really well and produced fast results.
If they're still building in your subdivision I agree with the poster that said "get to know the site foreman". We did that and afterwards could go to the trailer anytime and just ask for help which would be done right that minute (he'd grab his radio and send someone right then).
It does sound as though the leftover items while a big thing (to you) may actually be minor things. Things along the lines of a crack in the sheetrock or unpainted spots etc (you've not said what the issues were so it's hard to say if they're minor or not). Yes they said they'd take care of them, yes you paid lots of money for your house and want them done but does it bug you so much that you're willing to go to war and alienate the builder to get it fixed RIGHT NOW?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,706 times
OP, can you please list the issues? I know even some minor issues may seem major, but it may help put the whole situation in perspective for us readers.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
I cannot remember the last new construction purchase I have been involved with that did not have atleast one thing that needed to be sorted out after closing.. hell, the most recent one, it was too cold to paint the foundation touchups that were taken care of.. Every builder has a sheet that they fill these items out on to take care of as soon as possible..

shame this builder is dancing around the problems, but I'm confident they'll take care of it

good luck
This is correct. I'm building a house now, and before close, they will not be able to make a proper driveway, walkway, stain the front door, seed the lawn, and probably a bunch of other stuff, because it's just too cold right now.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times
The answer on any major undone issues is money in escrow. Attach an amount to each item rather then one single amount as they may need to pay subs.

Depending on costs, I would give consideration to sodding verus growing grass. I would also install a sprinkler system.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
The reason these things happen is because so many put up with it. Waiting is easy when you're not the one that paid for the house.

If people stopped letting builders take their sweet time fixing things, fewer would have problems. The wait and gentle approach is what causes these problems in the first place. This isn't some widget people are buying, it is their home and they pay dearly for them. To say that they should accept less than good performance only servers to allow the builders to do things on their own timeline, when they are good and ready.

If people took them to task right away, how long would it take before the standard of service was raised? You hit people in their pocketbook, public relations and see how fast they react.

What I see is Realtors giving the builders a play and probably because you know, business relationships come into play. These cozy relationships hurt everyone because someone is always making an excuse for the builder. Enough already.

Just how long do you think the builder would let the buyer slide if one of their funds didn't clear during the escrow? You think the builders and Realtors would be there saying "take your time...lets wait and see..." I doubt it.

Buyers have been getting the short ends for a long time with builders and Realtors are siding with the builders. Nonsense.

Funny how once the builder gets paid and the Realtor gets their commission, everything becomes a "it just takes a while". To that I say:

Time is of the essence. Remember that little phrase and everyone forgets as soon as they cash checks?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
I think you're getting some good advice and some bad advice here. Any advice that would fall under the "throw a fit" category is not good. The best approach is an unemotional, procedural set of steps, always in writing, always cordial, escalating as necessary. Be an adult. Painting red signs will lower your property value by driving away other buyers, which is dumb.

Without knowing your issues, it's hard to know the context in which to take this thread. If issues are cosmetic unfinished punchlist items such as touchup paint, etc. that's different than health and safety issues or things that prevent your full use of the home. I assume the home passed all final building inspections and was given a certificate of occupancy by your local authorities, so is it mostly cosmetic stuff?

It's not uncommon for buyers to close with an unfinished list of items. Happens all the time. "Book smarts" says you don't ever do that, but "real life" logistics and circumstances make it more common than not. It's important to have agreement on the list though, and a timeline on when it will be done. I've never had a buyer not have the builder follow through. It's a messy business, but that's part of building/buying a new home. Reasonable buyers and good builders seem to make it work.

What I've found is that people who let chicken sh*t things ruin their entire new home experience are that way in other areas of life. On the other hand, nobody wants to be a doormat, or feel blown off or ignored. You have to find your balance, pick your battles, and not overuse your "complaint capital". It's as much an art as a process.

Be cordial, professional and persistent, and you'll get what you want eventually. If not, you'll be able to say you were patient up to your limit before you take the gloves off.

Good luck, and do tell us what some of the items are please.

Steve

Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM

128 posts, read 123,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Without knowing your issues, it's hard to know the context in which to take this thread. If issues are cosmetic unfinished punchlist items such as touchup paint, etc. that's different than health and safety issues or things that prevent your full use of the home. I assume the home passed all final building inspections and was given a certificate of occupancy by your local authorities, so is it mostly cosmetic stuff?
In response to this question which was asked a few times, this description fits most of the issues I'm referring to except a couple. I mentioned that I contracted a professional home inspector and he also did a follow up, so these are not items that would make a home immediately unliveable.

-moderately sized indoor and outdoor paint issues
-Some borderline safety issues like blown insulation being closer to a flue than recommended by the fireplace manufacturer
-Broken bricks in a couple bad locations around window sills, that could potentially result in damage to the window and surrounding structure if I get water infiltration

I looks like we may have gotten somewhere in getting the attention of the builder, but i would like to get a resolution before I update this thread. It was relatively conventional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate