Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 PM

60 posts, read 387,296 times

Advertisements

I just signed a home purchase agreement for a house built in 2005. But our inspector found mold in the garage ceiling (the sprout above the garage is broken and may have caused this problem) The mold might exist in the bonus room above the garage as well ( although our inspector didn't find it there, he said mold might hide there.

Also, there is a loose joint of water pipe in the attic and that caused leaking and mold there. Our inspector told us he didn't check all locations in the attic for mold since the attic is covered by insulation. How likely will attic have mold somewhere else too?

Given the above factors, do you think it might be better for us not to buy this hous? Or those problems can be fixed easily and won't be a problem (as our realtor argued..) and, therefore, we can still keep this house in consideration?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tomorrow; 07-10-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
I'd be wondering about the construction quality of a 3-year old house has so many leaks, for sure.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I would say no - I dont mess with mold or any other type of water problem like drainage or living on a flood plain

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM

60 posts, read 387,296 times
Boomerang and Fairfax Mom, many thanks!

How hard to eradicate the mold? And after the repair, how likely will the mold be totally removed? Will the house still have health concern?

While the house is only 3-year old, the sellers have moved out for a few months. That might be the reason.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
EPA Mold Cleanup Guidelines (broken link)

Hidden Mold

You may suspect hidden mold if a building smells moldy, but you cannot see the source, or if you know there has been water damage and residents are reporting health problems. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation). Investigating hidden mold problems may be difficult and will require caution when the investigation involves disturbing potential sites of mold growth. For example, removal of wallpaper can lead to a massive release of spores if there is mold growing on the underside of the paper. If you believe that you may have a hidden mold problem, consider hiring an experienced professional.

Mold problems in a home should be taken seriously. Buy a different home without leaks or mold.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Like I said in the other post, I would walk away.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
I would not even consider a home with mold...just asking for trouble. It's odd that such a new house would have so many issues, just imagine the problems you don't know about. Walk away..

Old 07-11-2008, 07:03 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
I bought a house with mold. There was some in the attic on the trusses where it looked like they had maybe put the roof on while they were still wet from a rain. There was also mold in the ceiling of the garage where a soffit had leaked or maybe it was an errant gutter. ANYWAY... we bought the house about 3 years ago, and it was built in 1999.

We called in an environmental/ mold remediation group who sprayed it all with some sort of mold killing spray, then they covered all the areas with the white stuff that looks kind of like paint. I don't know how much it cost, because we just had the seller pay for it, but it was under $1000. Then, we replaced the drywall in the garage to make it all look good again. We have had no problems at all ever since, it was recommended that we have it checked once in a while but I don't think we have yet.

There is a house down the street from me that was abandoned, and there was a broken window. Of course, it rained into the broken window and it became known as "the Mold House" once it started growing up the walls and across the ceiling. The people who bought it got a great deal, then ripped out the old drywall that was effected, sprayed the stuff all over it, new drywall, and they live there happily now.

If it is taken care of, it is fine. You do NOT need to completely write off a house just because of mold.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 AM

17,419 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I bought a house with mold too.

Like with everything else, I think the media has made the word "mold" strike fear into every homeowner.

In our case, the mold was everywhere in the basement - 1/2 way up the walls. (Electricity had been off for months, the sump pump never worked and the basement flooded.)

We fixed the problem. (Turned the electric on.) Removed the drywall where the mold was - and the mold's "food". And voila - mold problem solved.

Finding mold in a home shouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker. Mold is everywhere - every house will produce a positive result if tested for mold spores.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
According to everyone on this forum, it is a buyer's market. The buyer should be able to find another house very easily. Why go through all this trouble? It is not like the houses are flying out of inventory with multiple bidders. In this market, the buyer should not have to go through all this turmoil and always worry about it especially if they have kids or plan to have kids.

If the OP has other choices, I would explore all of those first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate