Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

Does it matter what color the curtains are as long as they are a solid color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Yes. Thinking of black curtains? Or fire-engine red? Color can make a room look larger or smaller, warm or cold.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
I think it matters. We just listed our home (finally) this afternoon and I tried to stay in the off-white family. I'm not a professional decorator, so I decided to be as neutral as possible. I think pros (and semi-pros) can get away with more daring choices, though. I'm just a hanger-onner type, so I needed to play it safe.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM

We have darkening curtains in the bedroom. (black and blue) I can open them and let plenty of light into the room but are those colors OK?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
If they match your decor and are nice and clean and left open they are fine. If they are black just to keep the light out and make the room look like a Satanic worshipper lives there, get rid of them during showings. And yes, I have seen houses with black curtains that don't fit the decor and it looks REALLY CREEPY.

I had darker curtains in my LR of my last house that I never really loved. I swapped them out for curtains I found at Big Lots (seriously) for like $5 a set. You don't have to spend a lot to stage your home. If you take an objective look and they aren't suitable for showings, just do a cheap swapout.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What did your RE agent say?
New mini-blinds? Sure. But I'd say NO curtains at all; especially not new ones.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Maybe for my wife and her mother. But for me I'm looking at all the inner workings of the house. I'm more interested in the doors, windows, cabinets, walls, ceilings, plumbing, utilities, overall yard condition. Those rank higher than appearances because paint and draperies can always be changed.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
There is no right answer for "all" houses. Depends on the house. A contemporary in miami will have a totally different color scheme than a country house in North Dakota or beach house in the hamptons. If it matches the decor and house, that is all that matters.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If they match your decor and are nice and clean and left open they are fine. If they are black just to keep the light out and make the room look like a Satanic worshipper lives there, get rid of them during showings. And yes, I have seen houses with black curtains that don't fit the decor and it looks REALLY CREEPY.

I had darker curtains in my LR of my last house that I never really loved. I swapped them out for curtains I found at Big Lots (seriously) for like $5 a set. You don't have to spend a lot to stage your home. If you take an objective look and they aren't suitable for showings, just do a cheap swapout.
I know, I love Big Lots, Family dollar and Dollar General for curtains. You can't beat the prices! I have some sheer beige curtains I can put up but it sucks when you're trying to sleep. LOL

I agree that I can look past that stuff and I'm more concerned with the more major things but some people make a decision on things like that. IMHO, that's crazy.

I think they match the decor. I also have mini-blinds.

Thanks for all the great opinions!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What did your RE agent say?
New mini-blinds? Sure. But I'd say NO curtains at all; especially not new ones.
Curtains frame the windows and make them look better in photographs, generally speaking. You don't want curtains to block a view or anything, but they do impact how good a room looks when you take pictures for marketing purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate