Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times

Advertisements

I live in a tiny house now and hate it. That's why we are looking to buy a bigger home (at least 3 bedrooms, just for my husband, me and a future pet). You don't realize how easy it is to outgrow a small space. My luggage alone takes up a good chunk of the storage space in our basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
LegalDiva- out of curiosity- how tiny?

For the past 3 years (until Dec 2012) DH & I lived in a 650sqft house with 2 bedrooms, no basement. Adequate storage in that place was a NIGHTMARE but for some reason our main living space at least never seemed too cluttered. I think it seems tinier in retrospect now that we're in a 1600sqft 3 bedroom property (with a 650sqft finished basement area). Mind you, by 'modern' standards even our current house is small! Definitely a lot bigger than the property we rented for 3 years though!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I live in a tiny house now and hate it. That's why we are looking to buy a bigger home (at least 3 bedrooms, just for my husband, me and a future pet). You don't realize how easy it is to outgrow a small space. My luggage alone takes up a good chunk of the storage space in our basement.
Um, just how much luggage do you HAVE? (Or how tiny is your basement?)

I wouldn't mind having a smaller house (mine is just over 2,500 square feet), but only if it could be on a large lot (at least an acre). I definitely need a buffer in case some noisy person moves in next door!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
LegalDiva- out of curiosity- how tiny?

For the past 3 years (until Dec 2012) DH & I lived in a 650sqft house with 2 bedrooms, no basement. Adequate storage in that place was a NIGHTMARE but for some reason our main living space at least never seemed too cluttered. I think it seems tinier in retrospect now that we're in a 1600sqft 3 bedroom property (with a 650sqft finished basement area). Mind you, by 'modern' standards even our current house is small! Definitely a lot bigger than the property we rented for 3 years though!
We are in a 2 bedroom home. 760 sq feet, 1 car garage and a 3/4 basement (enough room for a washer/dryer and a small work space and 2 crawl spaces at either end). It's the perfect size for 1 person (m husband bought it when he was single) but with 2 it gets crowded, and very cramped if we had a kid. My gripe is really not having an extra bedroom and bathroom. We can't have any friends sleep over unless we move half our living room furniture around to accommodate space for a sleeping bag.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Those little houses are cool, but not for me.

With my issues with claustrophobia and having grown up with lots of space, I need a big house with a lot of natural light.

So that's what we bought.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
I grew up in homes around this size. I work hard so I would not have to go back to that. Having space is convenient. When family and friends come to visit, they don't have to get a hotel room or sleep on the couch. They get their own room with their own bed.

People live in homes this small or smaller because that is all they can afford. Now it is cool to pay over $300K for a tiny home??

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
We are in a 2 bedroom home. 760 sq feet, 1 car garage and a 3/4 basement (enough room for a washer/dryer and a small work space and 2 crawl spaces at either end). It's the perfect size for 1 person (m husband bought it when he was single) but with 2 it gets crowded, and very cramped if we had a kid. My gripe is really not having an extra bedroom and bathroom. We can't have any friends sleep over unless we move half our living room furniture around to accommodate space for a sleeping bag.
Yup, having a kid would definitely necessitate a move! Our last house was smaller than yours (no garage or basement)- and we had guests stay in the 2nd bedroom. However I think it would have been frustrating had we tried to raise a family there- because there was literally nowhere to store anything extra (let alone baby things!). Now that I'm expecting baby #1, I'm thankful for 3 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and the extra square footage! I honestly wouldn't want anything too much bigger though- I grew up in a 4000sqft+ house and I wouldn't want to have to maintain / clean that amount of house myself! Also, I always found it 'creepy' being there by myself- even though it wasn't an extremely old house. It was just too big IMO.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Who needs a big house? Tiny houses on the market nationwide.

It would seem that the "Who" that thinks they 'need' or want one can have it ... if they are willing to pay the price. Or are you questioning the housing choices of others? (I'm willing to stay briefly in a 400 sft hotel room ... or perhaps a week in a similarly sized beach condo -- but, beyond that, what's the point of paying regular house prices for a permanent place in 'Munchkin Village'?)

Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post

People live in homes this small or smaller because that is all they can afford. Now it is cool to pay over $300K for a tiny home??

$300K doesn't go far in most major cities. Having an actual detached house for that price is preferable to a condo for some people, even if it's small. As far as it being "all they can afford" - you have to take into consideration many houses at that price point need substantial repairs, even if they're only a few hundred square feet.

Personally, I'd have a good deal of respect for anyone that was able to simplify their life to the point where living in a 500 sq ft house worked for them. Even better if they were spending less than 15% of income on housing.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
Your house isn't too small. You have WAY too much stuff!

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate