Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Many Americans are not open to haggling as a pastime.
I think it very much depends on where you live. In New York, we have so many different ethnic groups with different cultures and customs. Some buyers and sellers come from cultures where bargaining is customary and expected, provided the parties do it with mutual respect. We recently bid on a home owned by Korean-Americans and I researched their culture to make sure I had a better understanding of how they would respond and why.

I think if you go back and forth with a seller in decent increments (say, $5K or above, depending on the price of the house) you can reach an agreement in several steps. If you're trying to bargain in $1K increments, that would be considered nonsense where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
What's your definition of an "american"?
Oh, dear. That would be "Americans."

Many are not wild about negotiation games. Now, ask me what I mean by "Many." More than a few. Less than all.

Don't read more into stuff than meant just to drag a post off on a tangent.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I think it very much depends on where you live. In New York, we have so many different ethnic groups with different cultures and customs. Some buyers and sellers come from cultures where bargaining is customary and expected, provided the parties do it with mutual respect. We recently bid on a home owned by Korean-Americans and I researched their culture to make sure I had a better understanding of how they would respond and why.

I think if you go back and forth with a seller in decent increments (say, $5K or above, depending on the price of the house) you can reach an agreement in several steps. If you're trying to bargain in $1K increments, that would be considered nonsense where I live.
Agreed.

Although, I don't mind the $1000 increments either. It is just smaller steps to a final destination.

Another difference, dependent on local custom:
We write an offer and handle further negotiations verbally and/or by email.
When we think we have a meeting of the minds, we either rewrite the offer or do markup, if it is very simple, and when signed, that becomes a contract.

I know in some areas it is the norm to document/sign counters back and forth, but we don't find that necessary here.
If we had to do that, those baby steps of $1000 would be more aggravating.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agreed.

Although, I don't mind the $1000 increments either. It is just smaller steps to a final destination.

Another difference, dependent on local custom:
We write an offer and handle further negotiations verbally and/or by email.
When we think we have a meeting of the minds, we either rewrite the offer or do markup, if it is very simple, and when signed, that becomes a contract.

I know in some areas it is the norm to document/sign counters back and forth, but we don't find that necessary here.
If we had to do that, those baby steps of $1000 would be more aggravating.
I totally agree with this approach and this how its normally done where im from.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM

27 posts, read 114,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Yeah thanks for your Comments. My original offer was only a starting point. It doesnt mean that i cant offer full price without seller assist. I prefer to close the deal and get the sale. Maybe they want to wait on the market till they get thier number and that their choice. I still think it better to counter with your number then make a deal but that just my opinion.
Its just hard to tell what will happen sometimes. Every seller is different. I too would of thought they would of countered at full price if they thought you truly were interested. Some people seem to believe if you don't offer 100% you are lowballing them, I guess.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Im looking for opinions on this

I offer full price for a house in PA with 4 percent seller assist. The seller rejected the offer and said the assist was too much. I was willing to negotiate the seller assist. However the the seller decided they didnt even want to negotiate.

Does anyone else besides me find this odd. Why would you not negotiate the seller assist??? Seems like such a small part for a major deal.
If someone else came along with no request for seller assist, would you counter the offer with a 4% seller assist? If you thought you could do better than the offer with 4% seller assist, would you counter?

Heck no. This really isn't hard to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate