Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times

Advertisements

My colleague and I had wondered about why the cost of houses in hilly or mountainous terrain was more expensive. Does it actually cost more to build in these type of areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Heck yeah! Foundations are much simpler on flat terrain, moving all construction materials around is easier, there would be a much greater likelihood of issues of access and storage of construction materials and equipment on hilly terrain, drainage design can be more complicated, terraces, porches and flatwork all are affected- access to the outdoor areas- many other issues.

As someone who designs houses this is one of the first things I point out when assessing a lot- that being said I think houses built on a bit of terrain have a much greater chance of being interesting architecturally.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Heck yeah! Foundations are much simpler on flat terrain, moving all construction materials around is easier, there would be a much greater likelihood of issues of access and storage of construction materials and equipment on hilly terrain, drainage design can be more complicated, terraces, porches and flatwork all are affected- access to the outdoor areas- many other issues.

As someone who designs houses this is one of the first things I point out when assessing a lot- that being said I think houses built on a bit of terrain have a much greater chance of being interesting architecturally.
How much more expensive does it run? 20-30%? Does putting in a basement make it easier or harder for you as a builder?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Site preparation costs a lot more. There is more bulldozer work. Driveways cost a lot more. It costs more to bring utilities in. Foundations might or might not cost more.

Once the foundation is in, everything above that level should cost the same, unless it is difficult to get materials into the site.

Another issue, building lots in hilly locations can cost more. if there is any sort of a view, the price of the land goes up. If there is some pretty forest, the price of the land goes up.

Lots are very likely larger, and the more land you get, the more it costs you. If there are noticeable hills, the builder is a lot less likely to be able to fit 10 houses on an acre,

Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM

Ok. I always wondered why houses cost more in SW VA.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Any other input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate