Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

231 posts, read 327,237 times

Advertisements

The seller to the house we're buying wants to close as soon as possible, but there is no incentive to me and, actually, it would be a huge burden including financial. Is there any reason to do it? Can it be used to renegotiate price or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
You didn't indicate how much of a time acceleration you are talking about, BUT, most closings are driven by the time required by the bank and title company to get your mortgage approved and complete the paperwork (typically 30-45 days)....OR are you still in the negotiation (vs closing) stages?

In any case, inasmuch as you can control the closing date, this is a negotiable point and you can either decline or ask for whatever concession seems reasonable (is there some concession you would like to have from the seller?).

Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
a huge burden? Then you should reconsider owning.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM

231 posts, read 327,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
a huge burden? Then you should reconsider owning.
I already own. It wouldn't be a huge burden to own, but to close super early. We'll be selling or leasing out our current home and closing early means staging early in the midst of a retirement party I'm throwing along with my wife taking an exam. It's just too stressful.

So to bend over backwards to make the seller happy, what's in it for me? We'll also be losing valuable time for our current house to be on the market in the weeks prior to closing.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Most contracts have a "Time is of the essence" clause in them. Which means if all parties are ready to close before the contract date, they should.

If the OP isn't ready to close due to any number of factors that are spelled out in the contract, he need not.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
> Most contracts have a "Time is of the essence" clause in them. Which means if all parties are ready to close before the contract date, they should.

I don't think that is what is meant by that clause. I think it means that you are promising to close on time, not later.

> So to bend over backwards to make the seller happy, what's in it for me?

If you can accommodate the buyer, at least part way, your only benefit is giving the buyer minimum opportunity to change his mind or come up with objections.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM

115 posts, read 368,755 times
I'd stick to the schedule. It's what you wan and are comfortable with. What's the timeframe you have now and are being requested?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Like others have said, go ahead and close early if they can make it up in other ways...maybe they lower the price or something similar.

This person isn't your friend. There is nothing personal, it's just business. If you don't want to close early, then don't. You have perfectly good reasons why you can't.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Are you saying there is already a contract with a date and they want to close earlier or you are still negotiating the date? If the first one I wouldn't close earlier if it would cost me any kind of significant money. If it is the second one I would want them to compensate me in the form of a reduced purchase price/help with closing costs.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM

166 posts, read 411,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
The seller to the house we're buying wants to close as soon as possible, but there is no incentive to me and, actually, it would be a huge burden including financial. Is there any reason to do it? Can it be used to renegotiate price or something else?
If its already going to be inconvenient, then don't close earlier. Respectfully say that you wish you could accommodate it as you have made plans surrounding the current closing date. "Is there any reason to do it?" - yes, otherwise the seller wouldn't be asking you but they haven't shared insight to you. Besides it means you get keys earlier and can casually move in over a longer period.

You can certainly ask for something in return to change the closing, such as contributing towards closing costs as a credit/concession etc. I wouldn't suggest a 'simple price change' b/c more than likely it would trigger your whole loan file being sent 'back of the line' and underwritten all over again and you might then be facing a loan deadline, new closing date or whatever, which you can't meet and potentially jeopardizing earnest money .... and then its you sheepishly going back to the seller for a request where they could counter back 'monetarily' to you. Funny how karma can happen in RE. I had a transaction once where it escalated into a tit-for-tat mentality due to the initiation of 'what's in it for me' and both parties nearly lost in more ways than one as it nearly didn't close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate