Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM

174 posts, read 313,157 times

Advertisements

A friend received an offer and after negotiations settled on a price about 6% lower than asking price. This is on a 100000 k house. The inspection report came through with no real issues on a 30 year old house except low insulation in th attic and no insulation on the ducts and pipes in the crawl space. Either the agent or the buyer is now playing hard ball about the insulation. They want her to do both. This will cost about 3 to 5 thousand on an already low price on a inexpensive house. Is this normal ? Insulation isn't a safety issue. I could see this happening on an expensive house but come on they are fetting the house for 95000 .This is ridiculous. She's asking me if she should do it, or if she has to do it. I don't think she has to do anything, But she could lose the offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
...low insulation in th attic and no insulation on the ducts and pipes in the crawl space.
They want her to do both. This will cost about 3 to 5 thousand...
Call their bluff.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Oftentimes shoppers for low priced homes have no extra cash for any kind of "energy saving updates" and poor insulation can lead to high utility bills in both hot summers and cold winters. Makes sense that this could be something the buyer feels is worth digging in their heels over.... There is no indication it is a "bluff". Frankly I would never WANT a seller to actually hire someone like an insulation firm as the quality varies far more than amongst trades where licenses are required for safety / insurance / code issues -- think about it, no sane electrician would cut corners but an insulation contractor could easily scrimpy...

The thing too is insulating an attic or crawl space is pretty easy DIY project. Maybe a good compromise is for the seller to offer to through in a grand or two for the new owners to go buy material at the local building supply yard and make this their first "personal touch"...

Last edited by chet everett; 06-19-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Insulating ducts in a crawl space isn't that easy for a DIY project. The attic, yeah but even the attic would cost about 1500 in materials. I have no idea how much for insulating the ducts. I basically just told her that the house is already low enough. It has a new hvac furnace and ac and new water heater, new appliances. For 95000 an inspector would probably find way more problems on other houses around 30 years old. Hope I told her right.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
A friend received an offer and after negotiations settled on a price about 6% lower than asking price. This is on a 100000 k house. The inspection report came through with no real issues on a 30 year old house except low insulation in th attic and no insulation on the ducts and pipes in the crawl space. Either the agent or the buyer is now playing hard ball about the insulation. They want her to do both. This will cost about 3 to 5 thousand on an already low price on a inexpensive house. Is this normal ? Insulation isn't a safety issue. I could see this happening on an expensive house but come on they are fetting the house for 95000 .This is ridiculous. She's asking me if she should do it, or if she has to do it. I don't think she has to do anything, But she could lose the offer.
What does her real estate agent say?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Call their bluff.
Seconded. There is always someone who will try to lowball you or get something for nothing. Tell her to stand firm.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If they are asking because the buyer is short on cash, tell the seller to do it, but the price will go up the amount it costs, and the buyer can finance the repair into their mortgage. With cheap rates, that's better than an 18%+ on a credit card.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If they are asking because the buyer is short on cash, tell the seller to do it, but the price will go up the amount it costs, and the buyer can finance the repair into their mortgage. With cheap rates, that's better than an 18%+ on a credit card.
Bingo.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
What does her real estate agent say?
Her agent says she shouldn't do it. Se agrees that the offer is already low enough.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Didn't think about that option. With it, I'm assuming this kind of repair isn't something she has to do in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate