Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,932 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm currently in the process of purchasing a town home in Pennsylvania located in Bethel Township Delaware County. I'm scheduled to close on the property on 8/23 at 10:00 AM EST, I am the buyer. The sellers agreed to have repairs completed that were specified in the home inspection report and the wording in the contract states: "Above work to be completed at sellers expense prior to closing. Copies of completed work orders to be provided to buyers no later than 5 days prior to closing." My question is, since I have yet to receive the completed work orders, have the sellers breeched the contract since it is now Sunday, August 18th at 2:00 PM which is technically less than 5 days from closing? Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
I would just check with them to make sure you receive them by tomorrow. That should still be plenty of time before your scheduled closing. I trust that you'll be inspecting the work and not just the completed work orders.

I won't weigh in as to whether it might be an actual breach of contract. It could be that the closing date would just need to be rescheduled if it's really that much of an issue.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Maybe your buyer's agent received the copies in his office/e-mail. But, being a weekend, s/he will forward those to you tomorrow. Or it could be the selling agent who dropped the ball. Give your buyer's agent a call this afternoon. S/he'll will get to the bottom of it.

Are you having second thoughts about buying the townhome? If so, seems like you have a technical reason to walk away (talk to your agent). However, if you really like the townhome and the offer that was accepted, then give them one actual business day (a Monday) to comply.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
If you are trying to get out of the contract- the sellers could just send the stuff with a note saying that they are OK with rescheduling the closing.

Most of the time both parties want and intend to close and will show reasonable flexibility.

By the way, you mean breach not breech.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,932 times
Thank you all for your feedback!

After a debate with my realtor, we have decided to provide the sellers with an extension so that they can obtain the necessary supporting documents stating that the repairs have been completed. I'm still not convinced that we will be closing on this home but only time will tell.

Rational1, yes, I definteley meant breach not breech..thank you

Just out of curiosity, if a seller modifies a light fixture by replacing it with a lesser fixture or possibly doing the same thing with an appliance, is there any recourse for me the buyer? Thank you again!

Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewzze View Post
Just out of curiosity, if a seller modifies a light fixture by replacing it with a lesser fixture or possibly doing the same thing with an appliance, is there any recourse for me the buyer? Thank you again!
Unless otherwise specified in your contract, the seller should not be replacing anything in the house. Everything should remain as you saw it unless otherwise agreed upon.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> if a seller modifies a light fixture by replacing it with a lesser fixture or possibly doing the same thing with an appliance, is there any recourse for me the buyer?

You would see this at the final walk-through and bring it up at the closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate