Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times

Advertisements

I am an outside volunteer committee member for a local area condo community, which is having an issue regarding water meter installation and monthly HOA dues.

BACKGROUND

This community has had an ongoing issue with their local water company for several years regarding past due water and sewer charges. The other committee members and I were finally able to help the board of directors successfully negotiate a payoff agreement with the water company last month. However, part of this agreement involves installing individual water meters in each unit.

Homeowners have stated that if they are going to be responsible for paying their own water bill than they want a reduction in their monthly HOA fees.

The current board members on the other hand want to keep the current fee amount as is so they can pay other remaining past due bills and address deferred building maintenance and repair issues.

I want to also note that one of the reasons the Water Company implemented the clause regarding installing individual water meters into the final payoff agreement, is that this particular community has experienced a large influx of families (with kids) over the past five years. Prior to this the community was primarily made up of single professionals and young couples. It is the influx of families that has caused the monthly water bill to increase by almost 35%. The Water Company feels that if the meters are not installed, the community will end up in the same predicament within a year.

I would like to hear from a current or former HOA board member (or homeowner) who has experienced this type of situation (or something similar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Where is the community (State, County, City) ?? Hard to offer advice when rules/regulations/ordinances differ from city to city, county to county and state by state. Hard for anyone outside your area to offer specific advice without more information.

I live in a community within the city limits and our municipal utility will not take control of our fresh water system since the builder (30 years ago) got the city to sign off relieving him of the costs to "bring it up to code" and we are facing a potential HOA financial disaster if those underground pipes start to burst.

I feel your pain.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
In the HOA regulations, what are the rules for increasing the HOA fees? To me (someone who has lived in an HOA community but not been on the board), I would expect a refund of the amount the HOA had budgeted for water, and then the HOA to go through the process of levying a special assessment or otherwise increase fees to pay the maintenance.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Where is the community (State, County, City) ?? Hard to offer advice when rules/regulations/ordinances differ from city to city, county to county and state by state. Hard for anyone outside your area to offer specific advice without more information.

I live in a community within the city limits and our municipal utility will not take control of our fresh water system since the builder (30 years ago) got the city to sign off relieving him of the costs to "bring it up to code" and we are facing a potential HOA financial disaster if those underground pipes start to burst.

I feel your pain.
This community is in Atlanta, Georgia.

Regarding your situation, I hope that those underground pipes are in good shape and will last for more years to come.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
In the HOA regulations, what are the rules for increasing the HOA fees? To me (someone who has lived in an HOA community but not been on the board), I would expect a refund of the amount the HOA had budgeted for water, and then the HOA to go through the process of levying a special assessment or otherwise increase fees to pay the maintenance.

According to the by-laws, the board has the authority to increase HOA fees if there is a serious financial threat to the community.

If I were a homeowner I too would probably expect a decrease.

I am trying really hard to help this community because so many senior citizens live there.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Regarding your situation, I hope that those underground pipes are in good shape and will last for more years to come.
You are correct about that. My HOA has been setting up reserves very aggressively in advance for such issues.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
According to the by-laws, the board has the authority to increase HOA fees if there is a serious financial threat to the community.
In my experience/knowledge of HOA's there are two options, either raise HOA fees (which can be reduced later) or community assessments where each member gets a bill for their share of repairs.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
I am an outside volunteer committee member for a local area condo community, which is having an issue regarding water meter installation and monthly HOA dues.

BACKGROUND

This community has had an ongoing issue with their local water company for several years regarding past due water and sewer charges. The other committee members and I were finally able to help the board of directors successfully negotiate a payoff agreement with the water company last month. However, part of this agreement involves installing individual water meters in each unit.

Homeowners have stated that if they are going to be responsible for paying their own water bill than they want a reduction in their monthly HOA fees.

The current board members on the other hand want to keep the current fee amount as is so they can pay other remaining past due bills and address deferred building maintenance and repair issues.

I want to also note that one of the reasons the Water Company implemented the clause regarding installing individual water meters into the final payoff agreement, is that this particular community has experienced a large influx of families (with kids) over the past five years. Prior to this the community was primarily made up of single professionals and young couples. It is the influx of families that has caused the monthly water bill to increase by almost 35%. The Water Company feels that if the meters are not installed, the community will end up in the same predicament within a year.

I would like to hear from a current or former HOA board member (or homeowner) who has experienced this type of situation (or something similar).
The HOA does not have the power to unilaterally make agreements with the water company unless it is specifically stated as such in the Bylaws, and or CC&Rs of the property.

The board needs to call a general meeting of all of the members and put this to a vote. The HOA is not in charge of the subdivision, the HOA works for the residents and they have the final say in all this.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Homeowners have stated that if they are going to be responsible for paying their own water bill than they want a reduction in their monthly HOA fees............The current board members on the other hand want to keep the current fee amount as is so they can pay other remaining past due bills and address deferred building maintenance and repair issues.
Compromise. A reduction is fair. Then slowly increase the dues to cover the other expenses not related to the water.

PS. When people get their own water meters, are the water lines (repair/maintain) going to be turned over to the water company? Or does the HOA still own the lines?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Compromise. A reduction is fair. Then slowly increase the dues to cover the other expenses not related to the water.

PS. When people get their own water meters, are the water lines (repair/maintain) going to be turned over to the water company? Or does the HOA still own the lines?
Good question. That is something I hadn't thought about. I will bring that up at the next meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate