Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,946,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I am an outside volunteer committee member for a local area condo community, [/color]
I know this isn't the thrust of your OP, but I have to ask.

Do I read that correctly? You are a "committee member" of a condo complex in which you do not live? What function does that committee serve? Do you have the right to vote on matters affecting that community? What is the motivation for someone not in that community to sit on the committee, and why do the residents of the community want anyone on the committee who is not an owner or resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
We've lived in Condo's for the past 11-years and I've served on 2-3 HOA boards (the last time as President). I can tell you from experience that actually working on an HOA board (vs simply paying a Management Company) is a difficult, unpaid, often thankless job. The view expressed by one poster that, "The HOA Board works FOR the owners" (... or that a Condo is like a hotel and the only owner responsibility is to pay their HOA dues on time) is both wrong and irresponsible.

While the HOA Board is elected by the owners, and can be replaced by majority vote, the actual role is to 'responsibly represent the best interests of the overall condo and all of the owners' (... NOT to simply 'jump through hoops' (like a waiter) any time an owner 'snaps their fingers!' -- A primary role of the HOA Board is to ensure that the HOA remains financially solvent (difficult when owners are late or delinquent in their HOA dues); - that operating expenses get paid on time -- an that sufficient reserves are available to pay for planned and necessary repairs and upgrades.

Most HOA Boards are authorized to increase annual dues by a pre-specified amount or invoke 'special assessments' (without separate membership vote) to keep the HOA financially solvent. Large HOA increases/assessments are typically subject to 'majority owner vote.' However, past due expenses (even those caused by delinquent owners) cannot simply be ignored by an HOA ... any more than by an individual (without recourse).

In this case, it may seem 'right' for the Board to reduce HOA fees in the amount budgeted for water , but, the real question is: 'Does the HOA have the funds to both pay the delinquent bills ... and to reduce the HOA fees?' (From another perspective: "Suppose an individual 'needs' a vacation, but, cannot otherwise pay their bills?"). Not all HOA's are 'good' or the same, but, they are necessary and provide a significant and essential service. IMO, folks who seek only to avoid ALL property ownership responsibilities -- are a far bigger HOA problem, than volunteer HOA Boards who try their best to represent them.

Last edited by jghorton; 08-20-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,226,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I know this isn't the thrust of your OP, but I have to ask.

Do I read that correctly? You are a "committee member" of a condo complex in which you do not live? What function does that committee serve? Do you have the right to vote on matters affecting that community? What is the motivation for someone not in that community to sit on the committee, and why do the residents of the community want anyone on the committee who is not an owner or resident?
I do not "vote" on anything. I am simply someone the community contacted to help identify and research resources. This community does not have a lot of financial resources so they reached out to their local business community for help. I am one of the business people who agreed to help.

As far as my motivation, I am trying to help prevent over 100 senior residents (who are on a fixed income) from losing their homes or having to pay increased water fees they cannot afford.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,668,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

Homeowners have stated that if they are going to be responsible for paying their own water bill than they want a reduction in their monthly HOA fees.

The current board members on the other hand want to keep the current fee amount as is so they can pay other remaining past due bills and address deferred building maintenance and repair issues.

Its time for a new board if there are unpaid bills, maintenance has been deferred, etc. If something isn't done you will need an increase in fees and an assessment.

I would explain that the separate metering will be better in the long run. Paying for what you use is always better. I realize that will be hard to explain to them since people don't like change. Its time to get out the charts, show the members the numbers, the future numbers, and the worst case numbers. When people disagree , ask for specifics on what they disagree on. Don't let it turn into a ***** session.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times
How does the community have "Past Due Water and Sewer Bills"? How can that happen?

Assuming nothing nefarious....the HOA didn't collect enough to pay, because the homeowners didn't pay their dues, for instance....in which case you hire a lawyer and go after the delinquent Board Members or the folks who didn't pay their dues. You have an obligation to at least attempt 'clear the air' or homeowners are forever going to be crabbing about paying for someone else.

Then, you turn over the meters to each individual homeowner.

Then you eliminate the current water charge as part of the HOA dues.

Then, you implement a new charge to cover the water pipe infrastructure, if any, which is not covered by the new meter arrangement. For instance, the pipes coming in from the street to the meter bank need to be 'funded' for repair/replacement, just like a roof or paint.

Then, you figure out what the arrears are, and you institute a charge, net of anything collected by your law suits, to each of the homeowners through the HOA Dues.

You DON"T try to make this go away, or bury it, or otherwise pretend that their is no shortfall and that the money will magically appear to solve the problem. Not everyone wins in these deals, and some get hurt. It is called life. You don't have to be mean about it, but a certain percent will not make it, and that is not your burden.

God bless you for helping. It is thankless. Keep it business. Don't let it get personal.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,631,809 times
How about the media?

Are there senior ombudsment/rights groups....although you are probably among those judging by what you're doing.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Its time for a new board if there are unpaid bills, maintenance has been deferred, etc. If something isn't done you will need an increase in fees and an assessment.

I would explain that the separate metering will be better in the long run. Paying for what you use is always better. I realize that will be hard to explain to them since people don't like change. Its time to get out the charts, show the members the numbers, the future numbers, and the worst case numbers. When people disagree , ask for specifics on what they disagree on. Don't let it turn into a ***** session.

I too think individual meters will be better in the long run...

Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
How does the community have "Past Due Water and Sewer Bills"? How can that happen?

Assuming nothing nefarious....the HOA didn't collect enough to pay, because the homeowners didn't pay their dues, for instance....in which case you hire a lawyer and go after the delinquent Board Members or the folks who didn't pay their dues. You have an obligation to at least attempt 'clear the air' or homeowners are forever going to be crabbing about paying for someone else.

Then, you implement a new charge to cover the water pipe infrastructure, if any, which is not covered by the new meter arrangement. For instance, the pipes coming in from the street to the meter bank need to be 'funded' for repair/replacement, just like a roof or paint.

Then, you figure out what the arrears are, and you institute a charge, net of anything collected by your law suits, to each of the homeowners through the HOA Dues.

You DON"T try to make this go away, or bury it, or otherwise pretend that their is no shortfall and that the money will magically appear to solve the problem. Not everyone wins in these deals, and some get hurt. It is called life. You don't have to be mean about it, but a certain percent will not make it, and that is not your burden.

God bless you for helping. It is thankless. Keep it business. Don't let it get personal.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions -- very helpful.

I really do enjoy volunteering my time for something like this.

Last edited by LynnHarris; 08-20-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
How about the media?

Are there senior ombudsment/rights groups....although you are probably among those judging by what you're doing.
Thanks for your suggestion and concern. We have gotten some support from a few local organizations.

Although the community is not made up entirely of seniors, I feel that the ones that are there are worth volunteering my time. In addition, I have noticed that it is primarily the "senior citizen" residents who show up to the community meetings.

I also want to note that I had no idea how much work was involved in managing a HOA community.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,364,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
... I would expect a refund of the amount the HOA had budgeted for water, and then the HOA to go through the process of levying a special assessment or otherwise increase fees to pay the maintenance.
I am not in a condo but I am in a cooperative and in cooperatives the same thing generally happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

I think this is good advice. I would really check-up on the bolded part, especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate