Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 26,607 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a couple of questions that I hope so can one answer for me.

1. I went and located a new subdivision today, that I am very interested in purchasing a home in. However, they are still in the building phase and we do not really want to wait the six months to a year that it could take to build a home. Could we put in an offer for the model home even if the builder has not sold all of their sites yet or is this not even possible?

2. If we can put in an offer on the model home, can we put in the contract for the house to include all of the furnishing that is in the model home? (I'm a sucker for good decorating skills :-) )

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
doubtful the builder will sell the model that early. they'd have nowhere to sell the other lots out of if they had to wait 6 months for a new suitable model to be done.

most times, people will buy the model and allow the builder to rent it back for a predetermined amount of time.

and yes, you can sometimes buy a model with the furnishings, but those are typically written into a separate agreement, not your standard purchasing agreement (as the lender would have to justify value etc for the furnishings)

Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Status: "I didn't do it, nobody saw me" (set 13 minutes ago)

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
If they are still building homes, why would they sell the model home ?? Wouldn't make much sense to me unless they could move the model center to another location.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times
Why don't you just purchase the same model on a better lot and ask for the contact information of their decorator?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
doubtful the builder will sell the model that early. they'd have nowhere to sell the other lots out of if they had to wait 6 months for a new suitable model to be done.

most times, people will buy the model and allow the builder to rent it back for a predetermined amount of time.

and yes, you can sometimes buy a model with the furnishings, but those are typically written into a separate agreement, not your standard purchasing agreement (as the lender would have to justify value etc for the furnishings)
Okay that's what I was kind of afraid but I can surely check into the rent back option depending on how long it is taking for them to build. I'm currently waiting on a call back from their agent. Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
If they are still building homes, why would they sell the model home ?? Wouldn't make much sense to me unless they could move the model center to another location.
Well I know I see some new subdivision that have the little trailers for their centers but I see where you are coming from. Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Why don't you just purchase the same model on a better lot and ask for the contact information of their decorator?
We didn't want to wait the time for a new home to be built. I am assuming that it is probably a ways out since they have more than twelve other lots that are under contract and have not been built yet. I don't know the first thing to building so that might not be the case. Thanks for suggesting the contact information for decorator; I didn't think about that. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thank you all for responding!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Considering the extra $$ the builder probably put into the model home, plus the markup on the furnishings, I would rather be patient and wait on my own home to be built than live in the first complete home and suffer through a year of construction going on around me.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Do you really want to live in a construction zone- lol ? Me, I'd wait until most of the homes were built.

If you're the first one in, then you get to have dirt and dust flying and swirling all over the place. You have any idea of what your windows and siding are going to look like? Then there's the heavy equipment revving up at 7AM or earlier, non-stop noise plus beep, beep, beep as they back up, even on Saturdays, sometimes on Sundays too. Diesel fumes all over the place. Roofers nailing away at the crack of dawn.

Lots of contractors and workers, lots of trucks and more noise up and down the street ( more beep, beep, beep) The road probably isn't fully finished either. IMO, not worth the hassle.

If you like the model, build the same thing, take interior photos so you can match the paints and trims. The furniture is often rented, just get the name of the supplier. Also, if you buy a model home, it's not new anymore, it's used.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Considering the extra $$ the builder probably put into the model home, plus the markup on the furnishings, I would rather be patient and wait on my own home to be built than live in the first complete home and suffer through a year of construction going on around me.
I think we're definitely going to wait. All of the great feedback so far had us to re-think our decision and I don't think we're prepared to deal with that much construction day in and day out so we'll just wait until they are close to being done and get a newly built one so hopefully it will all work out. Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Do you really want to live in a construction zone- lol ? Me, I'd wait until most of the homes were built.

If you're the first one in, then you get to have dirt and dust flying and swirling all over the place. You have any idea of what your windows and siding are going to look like? Then there's the heavy equipment revving up at 7AM or earlier, non-stop noise plus beep, beep, beep as they back up, even on Saturdays, sometimes on Sundays too. Diesel fumes all over the place. Roofers nailing away at the crack of dawn.

Lots of contractors and workers, lots of trucks and more noise up and down the street ( more beep, beep, beep) The road probably isn't fully finished either. IMO, not worth the hassle.

If you like the model, build the same thing, take interior photos so you can match the paints and trims. The furniture is often rented, just get the name of the supplier. Also, if you buy a model home, it's not new anymore, it's used.
Lol thanks for pointing all of that out. I certainly don't like being woke up to a bunch of talking children on the weekend so it is a definitely no to the construction noise. Thank you so much for all of the information and the construction zone imagery. I didn't quite think of all the construction work that would be required to get the other 50 or so homes built around us lol.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
keep in mind, as new construction communities get further and further along, builder pricing tends to increase..

in addition, you may have to settle for a less desirable lot

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM

118 posts, read 488,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

Your beep beep beeps made me laugh lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate