Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:52 PM

95 posts, read 169,964 times

Advertisements

We've already signed a contract and gone through the option period, inspections, etc.

I realized, after all of this, that the house I'm buying is slightly more expensive than similar homes in the area. And by slightly, I mean maybe 8-10k more. The home is in good condition and had a great inspection. It's the perfect floor plan for us and I think my hubby and I may have fallen in love with the house before we even signed the contract.

I think the fact that we loved it might have clouded our judgement, we didn't even look at the other pricing in that neighborhood before we made the offer.

My question is this: Is it a bad idea to buy a house that's more expensive than the other homes in the area of similar layout, size, age? What if it's in better condition or has better landscaping, appliances? Do those things affect price usually?

And would we have problems selling later on?

P.S. And I should add that we got the appraisal back at the sales price, but I noticed the comps they used were over a year old (and there are tons of similar sales within the last few months, so why? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans2 View Post
We've already signed a contract and gone through the option period, inspections, etc.

I realized, after all of this, that the house I'm buying is slightly more expensive than similar homes in the area. And by slightly, I mean maybe 8-10k more. The home is in good condition and had a great inspection. It's the perfect floor plan for us and I think my hubby and I may have fallen in love with the house before we even signed the contract.

I think the fact that we loved it might have clouded our judgement, we didn't even look at the other pricing in that neighborhood before we made the offer.

My question is this: Is it a bad idea to buy a house that's more expensive than the other homes in the area of similar layout, size, age? What if it's in better condition or has better landscaping, appliances? Do those things affect price usually?

And would we have problems selling later on?

P.S. And I should add that we got the appraisal back at the sales price, but I noticed the comps they used were over a year old (and there are tons of similar sales within the last few months, so why? )
You are having buyers remorse. $10K is not that much more even on a $100K home.

Stop with the remorse and enjoy your new home.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
That is close enough for government work.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
You can probably go find a house close by for $10,000 less that you wont like near as much.

You're living in it, no one else.

I did the same thing. I bought 10 acres in Florida, in a parcel of 10 acre tracts. Mine was $5,000 more than the rest of them, but it was nicer than the rest of them; perfectly square, and the highest parcel in the area. I didnt care that I paid more than the others, I was just glad I got it! And Im still on it. And couldnt care less what I paid for it, I LOVE it.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default OMG! Don't buy a house

You are stressing about $10K.
Do not buy.
You are suited to be a homeowner.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Our house is the biggest, nicest, and on the best lot in the area except for a few on water. I know that goes against the standard investment logic but we've loved our home and location. It does give us pause as we have upgraded it and continue to do so but realize we may not be able to get back what we put into it. THen the decision becomes how long do I want to live here.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
if you love it, then be happy.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:23 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
We were actually turned off of a house because it was the best around. And when I say that, I mean the house was like a diamond in the manure pit. It is still on the market (trending down in price) we still like it, but are very reluctant to buy what is clearly the best house in the hood.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 AM

189 posts, read 643,619 times
$10k is nothing! Buy the house and enjoy it.

I just walked away from a home that I really liked a lot, because it was a $350k home in a neighborhood of $200k homes. And the new subdivision across the way was going for $175k. I'm no investor, but I figured that these numbers were so substantially different that I'd have a problem reselling.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
You love the house, 10k is now a big deal. Enjoy your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate