Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times

Advertisements

Vedic Architecture, Maharishi Sthapatya Veda, Fortune-Creating Homes, Vastu Vidya

The vedic principles of orientation are explained here. I have a friend who has a home laid out in this configuration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
My house faces West. I like it because the master bedroom, and kitchen are in the back (facing East), so the sun rises in the morning and helps wake us up.

Also, during the afternoon, our house blocks the sun, so the deck is shaded (around 1-3PM), so that's helpful.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
i get this question alot, "which direction does the house face?" this is because certain cultures have superstitions about the way a house faces (front door) Chinese or feung sheui cannot have a north facing house and Indian like it to face south east
This is common in our area too. The listing agent will start the house narrative, "Beautiful south facing colonial........"

On open house Sunday, it is not unusual to see home searchers driving around with compasses on their windshields.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
We live in Texas, where the sun appears to be bright in all four directions. I like lots of light, so I don't mind east/west.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM

95 posts, read 169,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We live in Texas, where the sun appears to be bright in all four directions. I like lots of light, so I don't mind east/west.
I live in Texas too, and the sun definitely is everywhere lol. If it were possible, I would want less sun (contrary to most of you) just because of cooling costs in the summer.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:25 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It depends on your climate. Here in the south, I would not want a house facing south, the hottest direction. My house faces East and gets morning sun, but is shaded on the west against the afternoon sun. The south has no windows to shield against the heat. If I lived in a frigid climate, I would want the southern exposure.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:42 PM

16 posts, read 29,468 times
I live on the prairies and my house faces north however I have a porch with the entrance facing east, and the back (side) door is facing east. The sun rises in the east, into the kitchen and in the evening I can look out the west kitchen window and watch the sun go down in the mountains...
I do prefer a north facing house the south is at the rear and good for growing small amounts of veggies.

In the north windows I have rubber insulated drapes, keep the warm in during winter and the heat out in the summer....

they are open more in the summer and closed in winter, the south windows are the reverse, you would be surprised at how warm / cool the house is in appropriate seasons, seldom have the furnace above 68F (any time it goes below -25C I will go up to 70F) If the house gets hot in summer I know it is close to 100 then ALL windows and blinds drapes etc get closed down super fast! (no A/C) but I do have a swamp cooler and it is incredible and VERY inexpensive to cool things down, just make sure you have ice cubes for arid areas not for humid areas. Great for an RV too!

Last edited by Enokie; 10-02-2013 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It depends on your climate. Here in the south, I would not want a house facing south, the hottest direction. My house faces East and gets morning sun, but is shaded on the west against the afternoon sun. The south has no windows to shield against the heat. If I lived in a frigid climate, I would want the southern exposure.
You said it better than I could.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlyGoodInk View Post
I dunno. I like my houses to face all 4 directions. A house that faces only one direction is some sort of odd space-dimensional wormhole or something. :-P
If you built a house on the North Pole then all 4 walls would face only one direction (south).

I prefer a south facing house with a deciduous tree or two in front. The tree shades the house in the summer and lets in sun in the winter. Besides, in Colorado, it is usually sunny, so when the sun comes after the snow, I don't have to shovel the front walk.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:28 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
I'm in Utah now. A 'south' facing driveway is preferable here. We have one. HUGE difference. A foot of snow or more, and, with sun, our front, driveway is clear before noon. Across the street, feet of piling up snow.

I lived in Ohio for 32 years with all gray winters, with dirty snow. gray, no sun, direction isn't an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate