Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times

Advertisements

Okay. To cut to the chase, I wonder what these particular agents' homes look like. I know that some home staging videos and classes are for the average wallet/simple decorator. Ones who would not even consider Orientals nor be quite sure what "teal" even is. This is HGTV brought to the masses. This seems to be the class these people took.

Neutral used to be the way to go. And still is in some price ranges, some neighborhoods, some size homes. But not all by any stretch of the imagination.

I wonder if you can get a better realtor who does not think by community-right-or-wrong. I wonder if you can get a realtor who realizes you are paying her. Or is that not the case here? (And maybe someone who has been around and decorated a few homes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 PM

936 posts, read 2,203,150 times
It sounds to me like her listing agent is the one with the problem. The agent had a tour of the house and solicited comments from the other agents who went on the tour. Fine. But to then remove a photo from the MLS because of the color of the valances seems a little extreme.

The comments from the touring agents needs to be taken in context. If they were requested to fill out a form then you need to realize that many of them are just going to think of something to put down. Where that information becomes really useful is when you see a lot of the same comments on a certain aspect of the house.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Okay. To cut to the chase, I wonder what these particular agents' homes look like.
I can't imagine what relevance that has to the issue at hand. These agents are likely not currently trying to sell their homes. Decorating to your taste and staging for a home sale are two entirely different animals.

Quote:
Neutral used to be the way to go. And still is in some price ranges, some neighborhoods, some size homes. But not all by any stretch of the imagination.
Overwhelmingly, neutral is still the way to go. I'm not a believer in blanket solutions or statements though and I would agree with you that neutral is not the right solution for every house. Neutral is still the right choice for the majority of homes though because neutral appeals to the largest audience. Of course, some do neutral better than others. There's more to effectively staging home than simply painting every room a shade of beige.

Quote:
I wonder if you can get a better realtor who does not think by community-right-or-wrong. I wonder if you can get a realtor who realizes you are paying her. Or is that not the case here? (And maybe someone who has been around and decorated a few homes.)
I'm not a huge believer in "group think." People should have their own ideas. If the OP's agent really needs every other agent in town to tell them what's right and what's wrong then maybe they're just not a good agent.

Also, I hate when people say on this site "remember who is paying whom here." Yes, I am employed by my clients. Why do they employ me? Because I know what I'm doing and what I do I can do better than them. If they were better at my job than me, likely they would not hire me. So, to be one of those obnoxious people who says "you work for me do what I tell you to do" in this situation is ridiculous. When you hire someone for their expertise, it's probably not a great idea to force your own ideas on them. You'll only make the person you're paying less effective.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
My gut feeling after reading through all the OP's comments is that the she is not yet emotionally ready to let go of the house.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,102,242 times
I could see it goiing either way. If you got nice floors show them off, when I see a big rug for no reason my first thought is whats under there or what are they covering up. That said I know some people think big stretches of wood floor are cold.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
"[quote=MikePRU;32455532]I can't imagine what relevance that has to the issue at hand. These agents are likely not currently trying to sell their homes. Decorating to your taste and staging for a home sale are two entirely different animals."

Imagine no more. Just read my second sentence. And third. And fourth. I question their ability to judge. And in such numbers. After all the back and forth about this with Staywarm, didn't like this, didn't like that, they just took a clase...well, that's a whole lot of education right there...taking off a picture, they really need to give better credentials than that class and stop making Staywarm their first foray in staging and bad manners I will add.

Staging depends on where one lives and the style and price range of the house and neighborhood. I would never have presented well my traditional or historic homes (or ones that looked so) if I did so with bare unadorned unappreciated floors. And my valances in a historic old world but not "cabbagey" pattern and, yes, overstuffed teal down chairs and a hint of rose in the couch stripe etc etc brought out the red hues in the cherry columns and lighter colors only served to highlight the high quality wood floors.

And then you have simpler places. And then you have simpler places but a stylish neighborhood. And beachier places and mountain places and lake places. And one stages accordingly.

I'm all for community and sharing of opinions. But that cult-like group think thing has people in enough trouble.

"Overwhelmingly, neutral is still the way to go. I'm not a believer in blanket solutions or statements though and I would agree with you that neutral is not the right solution for every house. Neutral is still the right choice for the majority of homes though because neutral appeals to the largest audience. Of course, some do neutral better than others. There's more to effectively staging home than simply painting every room a shade of beige."

"I'm not a huge believer in "group think." People should have their own ideas. If the OP's agent really needs every other agent in town to tell them what's right and what's wrong then maybe they're just not a good agent."

Neutral is a "group think".

"Also, I hate when people say on this site "remember who is paying whom here." Yes, I am employed by my clients. Why do they employ me? Because I know what I'm doing and what I do I can do better than them. "

But in this case, staging only came up after a class or video. Didn't Staywarm say they had just taken a class or seen a video or something. These people had to be informed. So they are newbies. I'm not against Realtors or even agents. I work with many and have many who are friends. But they don't dabble. This is an extension of what they already know and love and desire in life.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Do the right thing

Replace all the Oriental carpets with Occidental carpets.
This is America, dammit.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,984 times
We recently looked at a very nice house that had several antique-y decorations (most of which would not convey). The owners just love them (I wasn't turned off but didn't think they helped the home's appearance, and they were a distraction). They have also, not coincidentally (IMHO), been a bit inflexible on lowering the price over the 4+ months the house has been on sale (another couple recently made an offer, and the sellers countered, but with very little change). They love their house. They haven't yet made a firm decision on where to go next. I think that they are, at least emotionally, reluctant to sell.

I've also seen houses that had rooms painted in outlandish colors. The owners loved the colors, which is just fine, but they're not selling to themselves. Sometimes owners are too in love with a home to see any drawbacks, and sometimes they feel that "the right buyer" will see unique colors or furnishings as a plus in terms of value. When we sold our home, our realtor advised painting most of the rooms beige or otherwise neutral. We followed her advise and did not regret the decision.

Attractive wood floors in good condition are a plus. Unless the rugs are in great condition, would appeal to anyone, and convey, I'd take them away. But that's just my opinion.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:17 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of this? We have beautiful oriental carpets in our living and dining rooms. Underneath are original hardwood floors in good condition. When we had an agent's caravan, a number of the agents said we should remove the oriental carpets to better show off the hardwood floors. There is a 15" to 19" border of hardwood around the carpets that shows the hardwood.

We don't want to remove them. First, they are very heavy and would be difficult to move and secondly, I think good-sized rooms with only hardwood floors (and no area rugs) look unfinished. There is furniture in both rooms, but not it's not crowded.

What do all of you think?
This just "floors" () me. I have never heard of this being done but in reality, not that many people have these heavy rugs. I have a gorgeous oriental in my LR - it's wool and it takes about 3 people to move it.

What next?

Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Here's the funny part: we have had a number of Asians look at our home. So I doubt oriental rugs would offend them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate