Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,309 times

Advertisements

Trulia and Zillow are notoriously unreliable. Get the sold market comps or pay a realtor. Honestly, if you're going to take out a home equity loan, they will most likely require an appraisal anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
We're considering converting the attached garage to two bedrooms and turning one of the existing bedrooms into a bathroom attached to the master bedroom.
Will it be permitted? Are you adding a garage somewhere else?

If not, I think it s a bad idea, talk to a LOCAL lender or appraiser first, if you are concerned about value , being underwater, or spending extra money that give your home no additional value.

If nonpermitted, In my area an unpermitted garage conversion adds zero value and you can't count the rooms in the living space. I've seen a home where they had to remove a bath from a garage after they listed it in the MLS as an extra bathroom.

You might want to ask this in NJ forum or real estate forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
I would get in touch with realtors in my area and tell them I want to sell the house. give me appraisal. that is no charge. that ll give u some idea.
Or you could just tell them the truth, I know , tough concept.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
underwater is a meaningless term. never buy a house without a clear intention of paying off the mortgage in a relatively short period of time. the "leverage" game is a nasty little occupation americans have picked up in the last 20 years. dont be a player.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Underwater;at what point? It really only matters once you go to sell. Did you refi which can lower final cost? I know a lot who bought as interest rates are still at historics low range and Dodd/Frank rules on lenders documentation likely will tighten lending.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Trulia and Zillow are notoriously unreliable. Get the sold market comps or pay a realtor. Honestly, if you're going to take out a home equity loan, they will most likely require an appraisal anyway.
This. Zillow is a joke. Haven't used Trulia enough myself, but I'm guessing it's not much better if it just gives a vague "guesstimate" like Zillow.

OP, if you like your location and your current house, then why worry? The only concern I'd have about adding on to the house is that you might risk overbuilding for your neighborhood.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
The risk is an "unplanned" move...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate