Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Most inspection reports I've seen are just another tool the buyer has...

They are boilerplate and call out so many possibilities...especially with older homes.

I've reviewed many for family and friends and most have the language down to a science.

The thing is a unmolested older home only has to meet the requirements applicable at the time the Certificate of Occupancy was issued with a few exceptions.

Many sellers get annoyed to upset and I point out they should look at the report in limiting comebacks later.

One buyer wanted the seller to pay for a new water heater with drain pan as now required a couple of weeks after the closing.

The seller said the report clearly stated the water heater was 14 years old and typical water heaters here average 12 years... plus the note about the catch pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I think the qualifications for home inspectors should increased, and Realtors encourage them to understand who they work for. I've experienced off the cuff remarks made on issues their not qualified in cost the people paying them money. Owners who are qualified should not be allowed to send unqualified employees out unaccompanied. These reports are at a comparable cost to the appraisal, and sometimes being done by someone who worked at an auto parts store that took a weekend crash course.
Sounds like somebody had a bad experience with a home inspector!

When last I checked, most people don't hire a home inspector to make themselves feel better and/or to only have the inspector tell them good news. Instead, people are looking for an honest, trained, and experienced opinion on the structural and mechanical status of a specific residential property or business.

And the "...Realtors encourage them to understand who they (the home inspectors) work for..." comment flies in the face of both Realtor ethics and the professional ethics of home inspectors alike. You might pay the bill for the inspection service but the ethical standards are dictated from a much higher level.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 AM

299 posts, read 557,114 times
Thumbs up re: testing washer/dryer

Our home inspector did ... despite the home in question stating the washer/dryer didn't convey.
I even asked him what the purpose was of testing them. He said "It's the only way I know to easily verify that the utilities they connect to are in serviceable condition."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I've sold over 300 homes, never once seen the W/D tested in any way.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The appliances you are describing are mandatory tests required by the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Standards of Practice (SOP). The SOP is a minimum set of requirements that Inspectors must follow and many do only the minimum! A good Inspector will take every opportunity that they can safely take to exceed those minimums.
Escanlan, what is your source for this comment? A quick search of Texas home inspection criteria will identify Texas Admin Code Title 22, Part 23, Rule 535.232, which governs appliance inspection standards for home inspections. This standard does not list ANY of the OP's concerns, e.g., TV, internet, phone, and washing machine.

The list of minimum inspection criteria for appliances does include the dryer vent system but, again, not the washing machine.

Here's the link to the specific code in question: : Texas Administrative Code

Last edited by TexasDillo; 02-09-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
Escanlan, what is your source for this comment? A quick search of Texas home inspection criteria will identify Texas Admin Code Title 22, Part 23, Rule 535.232, which governs appliance inspection standards for home inspections. This standard does not list ANY of the OP's concerns, e.g., TV, internet, phone, and washing machine.

The list of minimum inspection criteria for appliances does include the dryer vent system but, again, not the washing machine.

Here's the link to the specific code in question: : Texas Administrative Code
TexasDillo,

I am glad to see someone other than an Inspector reading the TAC with regards to the requirements placed on licensed Inspectors. The source for my comment, which you did not quote here, is my reply to the initial comment from jameshardin which I will provide for your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I have never seen a W/D tested either. The only appliances that are typically tested in Texas are those which are standard inclusions (dish washer and stove/range). I know that inspectors have to carry insurance, so if he did break it, then I expect it would be covered under that.

I just don't know how he would have managed to break a washer, did he climb in it or something?
Just prior to that comment I made I also commented on the same thing that tw71 above commented on. For your review I will attach that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
As for the washer & dryer any good Inspector will use them not to test them but to test the attached plumbing and vent if it is possible and needed.
It is very unfortunate that we have many Inspectors here in Texas that do only the minimum required inspection criteria as outlined by the TREC/TAC/TOC rules and regulations. If you read Subsections 535.227 & 535.231 of that reference you will see that if a washer and dryer are attached to the utilities they use then the Inspector is not required to test these and can disclaim them altogether. As noted below even if they are not connected to a washer and dryer the Inspector is not required to test these utility points but only visually inspect them.

Quote:
Subsection 535.227

(a) Definitions.

(1) Accessible--In the reasonable judgment of the inspector, capable of being approached, entered, or viewed without:

(B) having to climb over obstacles, moving furnishings or large, heavy, or fragile objects;

(b) Scope.

(1) These standards of practice define the minimum levels of inspection required for substantially completed residential improvements to real property up to four dwelling units. A real estate inspection is a non-technically exhaustive, limited visual survey and basic performance evaluation of the systems and components of a building using normal controls and does not require the use of specialized equipment or procedures. The purpose of the inspection is to provide the client with information regarding the general condition of the residence at the time of inspection. The inspector may provide a higher level of inspection performance than required by these standards of practice and may inspect components and systems in addition to those described by the standards of practice.

(3) General limitations. The inspector is not required to:
(L) remedy conditions preventing inspection of any item;

[Note: The Inspector is not required to remove the hose connections from a washer or dryer, or remove electrical cords to directly inspect the utilities attached to it.]

(5) Departure.

(A) An inspector may depart from the inspection of a component or system required by the standards of practice only if:
(iii) in the reasonable judgment of the inspector, conditions exist that prevent inspection of an item;
And unfortunately for consumers the coup de gras!

Quote:
Subsection 535.231

(a) Plumbing systems. The inspector shall:
(2) report as Deficient:
(E) deficiencies in:
(iii) the performance of fixtures and faucets not connected to an appliance;

(3) The inspector is not required to:
(C) verify the performance of:
(ii) clothes washing machine drains or hose bibbs;
Any good inspector will attempt to use the washer and dryer in place to test the connected utilities for the reasons in my previous post. Also for those cases where a washer/dryer is not present any good Inspector will carry with them both a length of hose to test the washer plumbing connections and hopefully a multimeter to check the dryer electrical connection as the washer electrical connection can be tested with their standard outlet tester. Both of these simple tests exceed the Standards of Practice for any Inspector in just about any State whether licensed or not. I would fully expect that a buyer would want to know if the utility hook-ups that are present do function before they move in and find out otherwise? If the Inspector is unable to test these for whatever reason, regardless of whether a washer/dryer are in place, then I would also expect any good Inspector to advise their clients of that as well?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
I've sold over 300 homes, never once seen the W/D tested in any way.
They were just crappy inspectors. What exactly did the buyers pay for if they didn't inspect the electrical, water and sewer to see if they were functional? LOL.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Escalan, very good reply! Thanks for posting!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
OK. Let's say an inspector DID test a washing machine using normal controls and it broke during the test AND the drain hose came off and partially flooded the upstairs causing staining and some damage to the ceiling below. Who is responsible??

Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
OK. Let's say an inspector DID test a washing machine using normal controls and it broke during the test AND the drain hose came off and partially flooded the upstairs causing staining and some damage to the ceiling below. Who is responsible??
The homeowner is responsible for fixing (unless stated otherwise in the contract). When inspectors perform an inspection to verify functionality, inspectors are using normal operating controls under normal conditions, and assuming regular maintenance. Typically inspectors test all fixtures and faucets, by running the water.

If there was a known issue, the homeowner should put a big sign on it saying do not use! or disconnect it.

If the inspector left the tub running, left the house, and it overflowed causing damage, that would be his fault and he would pay. Depends on the scenario.

Last edited by 399083453; 02-10-2014 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
I must disagree with 399's comment above. The inspector's General Liability coverage should take care of any issues as the result of testing.

Escalon mentioned above that some inspectors carry a length of hose to test the washing machine drain even if there is no washing machine installed. If, while testing the drain, the drain back-flowed and flooded the laundry room or damaged the drywall, I would think the GL would cover that type of damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate