Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,679,952 times

Advertisements

I wasn't really looking to buy a house, but one has caught my eye. It's a 1920's craftsman bungalow that was listed as a three bedroom/two bath. When I called the listing agent, she said that the third bedroom would actually be better as an office because it is in the basement, the ceilings are kind of low, and it doesn't have an acceptable (for FHA and HUD, I think) egress window. All of this is fine because it's just me and my husband and we wanted a smaller home.

The problem is that I think it is more of a two bedroom/two bath home with a finished basement, but priced as a 3/2. The kitchen needs to be updated and there is other work that needs to be done as well, but the home has a lot of craftsman charm and potential. I cannot tell, from the pictures, whether the second bath is in basement. Based on the ceiling height, it looks to be on the first floor.

I'm going to see the house today and, assuming I'm understanding this correctly, do you think that it should be priced as a three bedroom or close to it? If not, what is the value of a finished room in the basement? Even though we would be fine with the home, this is a concern for us because we are thinking of its eventual resale value and the realtor has already told us that the younger couples who have looked at it have passed because it doesn't have the modern upgrades that people want, but I think the reason is the supposed "third bedroom" location.

One other thing...the seller bought it for less than half of the listing price, as a flip, and the price has dropped a little. According to the realtor, he is not a normal flipper, but really puts a lot of work into the homes he buys and does the appropriate amount of work for this type of home.

One other question: Given that this is nearly one hundred years old, we don't want to hire a regular home inspection professional should we decide to go forward on it. I was thinking that we should hire a structural engineer or some other professional that would really dig deep into what possible issues the house might have. Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,174,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I wasn't really looking to buy a house, but one has caught my eye. It's a 1920's craftsman bungalow that was listed as a three bedroom/two bath. When I called the listing agent, she said that the third bedroom would actually be better as an office because it is in the basement, the ceilings are kind of low, and it doesn't have an acceptable (for FHA and HUD, I think) egress window. All of this is fine because it's just me and my husband and we wanted a smaller home.

The problem is that I think it is more of a two bedroom/two bath home with a finished basement, but priced as a 3/2. The kitchen needs to be updated and there is other work that needs to be done as well, but the home has a lot of craftsman charm and potential. I cannot tell, from the pictures, whether the second bath is in basement. Based on the ceiling height, it looks to be on the first floor.

One other question: Given that this is nearly one hundred years old, we don't want to hire a regular home inspection professional should we decide to go forward on it. I was thinking that we should hire a structural engineer or some other professional that would really dig deep into what possible issues the house might have. Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.
Big question I have here: does the finished basement have a CO (Certificate of Occupancy)? Since the mortgage debacle, this issue has become quite important when getting a mortgage.

And if the ceiling height isn't up to code, it can't officially be a bedroom--so the value should reflect a 2-bedroom; at least that's the way it is in our area (don't know where you are).

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Big question I have here: does the finished basement have a CO (Certificate of Occupancy)? Since the mortgage debacle, this issue has become quite important when getting a mortgage.
I have no idea, but I will definitely ask today.

Quote:
And if the ceiling height isn't up to code, it can't officially be a bedroom--so the value should reflect a 2-bedroom; at least that's the way it is in our area (don't know where you are).
Very good point. Again, I'll ask today.

These are the things I need to know.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,002,838 times
Without proper egress....it is NOT a bedroom.

Don't care where you live - US or Canada.

Absolutely, check for CO's, permits, etc. Just go to Town/City Hall.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM

3,080 posts, read 8,430,031 times
Quote:

I'm going to see the house today and, assuming I'm understanding this correctly, do you think that it should be priced as a three bedroom or close to it? If not, what is the value of a finished room in the basement? Even though we would be fine with the home, this is a concern for us because we are thinking of its eventual resale value and the realtor has already told us that the younger couples who have looked at it have passed because it doesn't have the modern upgrades that people want, but I think the reason is the supposed "third bedroom" location.

One other thing...the seller bought it for less than half of the listing price, as a flip, and the price has dropped a little. According to the realtor, he is not a normal flipper, but really puts a lot of work into the homes he buys and does the appropriate amount of work for this type of home.

Thanks in advance.
For any room to be considered "habitable" it must have a minimum ceiling height of 7', it either must have a source of conditioned air or natural ventilation through an openable window that is at least 8% of the floor size in that room. As already pointed out if the room is being called a bedroom it must have an egress window of appropriate size and if located below ground level an egress method to reach and use it.

The value of the home if this is not a "Habitable" room and/or bedroom is best left to the appraisers but your Agent should be able to run comparables to give you some small idea.

As for the home inspection regardless of the age you should hire a Professional Inspector for a whole home inspection. If the structural aspect concerns you enough you can hire a Professional Engineer to inspect that part of the home.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
For any room to be considered "habitable" it must have a minimum ceiling height of 7', it either must have a source of conditioned air or natural ventilation through an openable window that is at least 8% of the floor size in that room. As already pointed out if the room is being called a bedroom it must have an egress window of appropriate size and if located below ground level an egress method to reach and use it.
Is this a national standard or your local standard?

Quote:
for the home inspection regardless of the age you should hire a Professional Inspector for a whole home inspection. If the structural aspect concerns you enough you can hire a Professional Engineer to inspect that part of the home.
This is what we plan on doing, but I don't know much about it. Specifically, how to find an appropriately qualified engineer or what kind of costs I should expect to pay for such a service.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,174,546 times
Quote:
Is this a national standard or your local standard?

Standards can vary from one municipality to the next. Looking at your posts, you appear to be in Nevada. Google your Town or City (Town/City of xxxx) and look for Building Codes on the site; you should find the information there.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,933,976 times
> The problem is that I think it is more of a two bedroom/two bath home with a finished basement, but priced as a 3/2.

If your perception of the area market is correct, then it is overpriced.

> the seller bought it for less than half of the listing price, as a flip,

You don't care, or it doesn't matter. Now if he had done an exceptional job in renovating that might warrant a higher price.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

> the seller bought it for less than half of the listing price, as a flip,

You don't care, or it doesn't matter. Now if he had done an exceptional job in renovating that might warrant a higher price.
I know it doesn't matter if he did a good job; I just added it because it's part of the whole picture. He did do some improvements. The listing realtor made mention that he had fixed some of the craftsman qualities of house and did something to floor that sounded like no small job. It could not have been completely rehabbed, though, because the exterior and landscaping is not improved, the kitchen is not updated, and there seriously ugly green paint going on.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,806,053 times
If you are getting a loan, it will be appraised for what it legally is. If it is not a bedroom, but looks like a bed room, expect it to still not appraise for the value of a bedroom. Since you have concern about resale value, you should consider it not a bedroom.

Someone living there for a while, might consider using it as a bedroom and will pay for it as such, they may have to come in with extra money, more than if it was permitted as a 3 bedroom.

You might end up paying for an appraisal,inspection, engineer, and then might not be able to finance it under your terms. What does your lender say about not doing a home inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate