Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,274,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

You are actually the only person in this thread who seems to be showing off with regard to where they live. That is the irony of the entire thread and clearly the purpose. You're not really interested in why others choose something different than you; you're more about validating your choice by disparaging others choices.
Nailed it.

Why is this even a thread topic? To each his own. Many people have simply tried to explain their lifestyle choices in regards to their housing needs....let me repeat that....THEIR lifestyle choices.....only to be ridiculed by the OP.

Why do you care so much? Its not your life, worry about you and yours. Stop demeaning others for choices THEY made for THEIR lives. Its called RESPECT FOR OTHERS.

And no one owes you any justification for the choices they make for themselves and their families.

There is nothing wrong with living in a small flat and there is nothing wrong with someone choosing a larger home. Guess what? Its America and thankfully for now we are free to make those choices for ourselves.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,856,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I completely understand what you're saying. I'm single, and I tend to be a bit of a minimalist. I'm just not one who likes to have a lot of "stuff" just for the sake of having "stuff." I don't need a lot of space, because I have no desire to acquire lots of stuff to fill up a large amount of space. I also try to be mindful of my carbon footprint and how it impacts my community, not just myself as an individual.

I find it interesting how defensive so many people got in this thread in response to your question. It's always amusing to me when people on forums like this respond to a question with "Why do you care?" Seriously, if people only posted threads about topics that impact them on a personal level, there would be very few forums at all. And those that did exist would probably have half the volume and traffic that they currently have. Besides, the answer to the ubiquitous "Why do you care" question is usually quite simple -- because human behavior is interesting. I don't see why that's so difficult for some people to comprehend. I've never met anyone who hasn't at least once in their life wondered why other people behave in certain ways, even if said behavior does not directly impact them. That's just human nature.

Usually when people respond in such a defensive manner, it simply means that you struck a nerve. Otherwise, why get so angry over a very basic question? Some people's lives revolve around conspicuous consumption. But if you ask them about it, then they become highly offended that you dared to question why they need/want a 5000 sf home for two people, and drive an SUV big enough to house a small family. How dare you, sir!!

I am not sure if anyone else read this post but I think many of the responders on here could stand to.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,634,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Not to offend anyone, but I think its absurd to need "dedicated space" because you somehow feel that a desk in the corner of a room is not quite good enough for your office. Are you running an empire from this home office? Are you Oprah? Martha Stewart? Probably not.

I do think if you have hobbies which require a lot of space, that is a decent reason to need more of it. Kids? Yes. Another decent reason. Because you are too spoiled to eat in the kitchen (heaven forbid!)? Come on now.
let me guess, I bet you do not see the need for more than one choice in vehicles for people as well. Everyone shall drive a identical Prius as yours. One store that sells the same size of pants for everyone.

Get over it. Everyone has different tastes and needs.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post

There is actually a very healthy movement to build smaller homes.
I read about it several times in various newspapers and magazines over the past few years. Plus the famous book about the small house. Those cute little houses.

But where are they actually being built? Seems it's a great idea on paper, but is it really taking place across the USA?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,856,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
let me guess, I bet you do not see the need for more than one choice in vehicles for people as well. Everyone shall drive a identical Prius as yours. One store that sells the same size of pants for everyone.

Get over it. Everyone has different tastes and needs.
Yes, tastes are different.

I think the "needs" question is the one being discussed (bickered about) here.

Nice that you think the OP drives a Prius. One could say that you are stereotyping about someone who lives in a smaller urban space in the same way that the OP is stereotyping about someone who lives in a large new construction suburban community.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM

15,587 posts, read 40,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I read about it several times in various newspapers and magazines over the past few years. Plus the famous book about the small house. Those cute little houses.

But where are they actually being built? Seems it's a great idea on paper, but is it really taking place across the USA?
It is happening here in Oregon. There are some proposals for tiny house subdivisions. It is a zoning and tax issue. I would expect Oregon or Washington to do

Portland also has a few micro living projects going on right now. 200 sq foot apartments that share a kitchen down the hall is one (60+ units) and then a 400 sq foot one that has their own kitchen. That one sits near the Max (light rail) since there is no parking.

Some of the micro unit designs are amazing with how things convert into different things. I couldn't share my kitchen by the 400 sq foot units were really cool. I could live in one of those if I was single and didn't need a home office.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,451,692 times
I live in a big suburban home, and I love to fill it with people. We like to host parties and family and have weekend guests.

We have 4 people (and a dog) and four bedrooms. We use all of our space every week, and we use most of our space every day. I like space and movement.

Since we got married, we have lived in homes that were (sq. ft) 600, 750, 950, 2,000, 3700, and 4100. I like the feel of our current house best. Could I live with less? Absolutely. And after both kids are in college, we plan to cut our space in half and move to a downtown loft condo or apartment. With that type of floor plan and fewer people, I think the space will not feel smaller. But we love our house and enjoy living, LIVING, in it.

As an aside, our decor is definitely minimalist. We have no clutter and few stored items. I drive a small hybrid, as does my husband. We are vegans who work hard to use the most environmentally-friendly products available. I'm not bragging about that; I'm simply countering the stereotype.

Last edited by roscomac; 03-07-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I am not sure if anyone else read this post but I think many of the responders on here could stand to.

I read it but since it didn't make sense I didn't respond to it. I haven't seen anyone being defensive about their large house. People explained why they chose them.

Some people objected to others thinking its any of their business what space other people live in. I don't think that's defensive. Its a valid viewpoint. It is still after all a free country and we are all free to live wherever we want.

As for the clutter/minimalist thing that's was already discussed. Its a personality issue and really has nothing to do with space imo. People are materialistic and consume a lot or they aren't/don't. Hoarders hoard wherever they are. Clutterers clutter wherever they are. If they have those issues and consider them problems fixed by a small space good for them. Large spaces don't cause those issues.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,451,692 times
Quote:
One could just as easily (and baselessly) argue that the OP and those in agreement are posting from a position of house envy. I don't believe that's true, and I don't believe in assigning negative motivations to people I don't know.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
Quote:
Yes, tastes are different.

I think the "needs" question is the one being discussed (bickered about) here.

Nice that you think the OP drives a Prius. One could say that you are stereotyping about someone who lives in a smaller urban space in the same way that the OP is stereotyping about someone who lives in a large new construction suburban community.
People have psychological needs as well as physical needs when it comes to space.

If we were all going to live in only the space we physically needed, then someone(I guess the nanny state) should determine space allocations by body size and allocate sq ft or hand out tents sized accordingly. No space for fido or kitty since we don't really need them.

Who is OP, you, me or anyone else to decide how much space someone needs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate