Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,411,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The two daughters who are selling, it's an estate sale, are total wusses. One of them actually told me on the phone tonight, "well the board told me we can't appeal this decision. So there's nothing we can do." I was like, who does she think this stupid board is, the supreme court?

It would be far more effective if they, the sellers, put up a stink, not me the rejected undesirable. They should be the ones calling the board, and threatening to sue, not me, but I don't think they're going to.

It just makes me livid.
Shrug, just take a jab at their greed and let it go.

"Yeah its too bad they're costing you money in a buyers market, but hey who knows, maybe the next offer won't be too much lower assuming the board ever approves anyone...."

And wander off into the sunset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,642,858 times
See if the CIC ombudsman has any ideas. Go to page 7 for Florida:

http://www.caionline.org/govt/news/P...%20(Final).pdf

Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,133,227 times
One possibility that has not been mentioned would be to go to the property management company - if the complex has one.

The property managers are professionals who serve in an advisory capacity to the board. They are usually very strict to make sure that procedure is followed regarding any type of board procedure because they will get caught up in any litigation the complex is involved in.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,102,454 times
I don't know anything about HOA's at all... but if you're really that interested in getting that place, go to a lawyer, tell him what's going on and have the lawyer write a letter to the condo association. You don't have to take it any further than a letter. Maybe a letter from a lawyer would scare the association a bit. It can't hurt. You've already been turned down.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,243,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
One possibility that has not been mentioned would be to go to the property management company - if the complex has one.

The property managers are professionals who serve in an advisory capacity to the board. They are usually very strict to make sure that procedure is followed regarding any type of board procedure because they will get caught up in any litigation the complex is involved in.
Every association has to have a manager with a certificate.
Write a letter to whoever this is .. If you have time , regular board meetings should be held also.
Submit a request to be listed for hearing at the next board meeting.
I'm not sure they have to allow a non-owner to do this but if that is so, maybe you can get it through with a friendly resident.
This would make it public that no discussion by the board was had , that his decision was unilateral and it would be entered officially into the minutes.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 682,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Thank you, yes it helps to know I'm not the only one. Did they tell you why?
Nope, I got nothing from them!

Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,223,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I would simply take my ball of money and go buy something else. Let the seller figure it out.
Yes, to that. Pay it no mind, and move on with the money.

If I had to legally bludgeon my way into a condo, I cannot imagine how it would be anything but an on-going unpleasant experience from that point on. Peace and goodwill in my life matter more than any particular condo ever possibly could.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,663,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
See if the CIC ombudsman has any ideas. Go to page 7 for Florida:

http://www.caionline.org/govt/news/P...%20(Final).pdf
thanks, will check that out.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

This condo is self-managed. (no surprise there)

Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I don't know anything about HOA's at all... but if you're really that interested in getting that place, go to a lawyer, tell him what's going on and have the lawyer write a letter to the condo association. You don't have to take it any further than a letter. Maybe a letter from a lawyer would scare the association a bit. It can't hurt. You've already been turned down.
That was my intention on Monday.

What I was thinking of doing was writing a letter to each board member saying that I had been disapproved by the board to purchase the condo, but yet they themselves, none of the board members participated in this, except for the Condo President. And ask politely if the board could actually meet and do a proper review of my application.

And then if no response from this get a lawyer to write a more forceful letter.

But the deadline for the sellers to sign the Contract for Sale and Purchase is April 7th, and if they don't get the contract sent off to the title company, then the deal is dead. One of the daughters has already signed.

The other one is hesitating to sign without "condo board approval" which she absolutely does not need until closing. If we send in the contract, I believe all this could be straightened out in the intervening weeks. But she is so scared of this Condo Board President who is a very intimidating guy, as I said a lawyer, ex-FBI agent who struts around the complex like he owns it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate