Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 AM

134 posts, read 287,502 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone had home depot help do a major renovation for things like kitchen or bathrooms. If so, what do you think of the quality of materials and the quality of their installation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:05 AM

154 posts, read 691,904 times
I haven't had HD do a reno, but made a BIG mistake a few years ago by hiring Sears to do a kitchen gut & replace. I expect the same problems would arise with HD. The big box stores contract with bottom-of-the-barrel local trades who can't get jobs on their own (or they would, because they would be paid better). After Sears locked me into a contract (which, it turned out, was way more than I would have paid hiring my own contractor -- live and learn!) they told me both my first AND second choices for the countertop were no longer available. The estimator also told me after the fact that another $2000 was required to bring the electrical up to code -- no mention made in the original contract. The finish work was crappy, and delayed several times.

I'll NEVER hire a BIG BOX outfit to be the general contractor again. The trades will be the employees of the BIG BOX, not you. Subscribe to Angie's List and hire a high-rated general contractor who will work for you.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
Not a good idea. Even if you should receive a quality end result, you'll almost certainly have paid too much for it (perhaps substantially so). You're always better off spending the time to find a quality, licensed professional at a fair price on your own (through informed comparison shopping), and subsequently contracting with the individual/business that you choose in a smart way.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM

134 posts, read 287,502 times
How about Lowe's? Better?

Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Neighbors had an issue w granite install through HD. Took a bit of effort but the did it over and got it right. Hire a contractor directly. Go look at their work. Check that they are licensed and insured.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:13 AM

22 posts, read 30,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBWestside View Post
Just wondering if anyone had home depot help do a major renovation for things like kitchen or bathrooms. If so, what do you think of the quality of materials and the quality of their installation?

There are better ways to have that Kind of work done. I like them for finding Leads on Contractors. You can find their trucks in the Parking lot. I give them a call to determine what kind of work they have done and to look at some of their current project. BIG BOX may be good for certain projects. Like Garage Doors and some landscaping. I check HOUZZ.COM for project from locals and ask who did their work. It's fun to look at their designs and Ideas

Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Lowe's in my area contracts the work out to local contractors. The quality will not be consistent from area to area. Typically the people doing the work are not employees of Lowe's. Unless it's something easy, like delivering and installing a refrigerator, I would find my own contractors.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
It probably depends on where you are located and how much local building is going on.

If there are tons of housing developments springing up around you, most of the contractors and subs are working on those. Folks who are good but want to be their own bosses create their own little companies, and don't work through the big boxes. So places like HD in growth areas have a more limited pool, percentage wise, of experts to choose from.

If you are in a town with limited growth, many of the contractors from HD will be the local experts and probably do a great job.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,925,195 times
You get what you pay for - I am sorry to say I have to learn this lesson every few years or so.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Just say no to big box stores

Go local.
Go with a single source.
Reduce headaches.
Hold back at least 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate