Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM

500 posts, read 1,174,592 times

Advertisements

I will be renting my home out in the fall to move to a different state, and I believe I will end up taking a loss because I'm underwater on the mortgage. I might be able to rent it for the mortgage, but paying the property management team, turn costs between tenants, and anything else unforseeable like emergency maintenance or court fees will all be over and above. (Not renting it out and staying in it is not an option.) I'm just trying to keep my head above water for 3-5 more years when I will hopefully be able to break even and not have to sell at a loss.

How will this affect my taxes? What will I be able to deduct to make the squeeze not as bad? The more detailed you can be, the better. I'm totally lost on this whole thing, just need to try to make the best of the situation and preserve my credit rating and not go into double digit debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate