Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:40 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times

Advertisements

My Realtor just got a couple calls from buyers asking if we were willing to close and vacate within 30 days. That's much faster than I anticipated and there's a significant hassle-factor. I'm thinking that it would take a full price offer + more to cover extra costs for moving, storage, possibly temporary lodging, etc. Say, $10k more (on $800k house). My guess is that it's cash buyers looking for a weekend house and they want use of it for the summer. What are the norms with this? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
Years ago it used to be that 2-3 month closings were common. Now it's getting to be pretty typical for a lender to be able to close in a month, sometimes less. I think you should anticipate this.

Don't over think this. It doesn't matter what the motivation of the buyers is. If you get a good offer on the house, I'd go for it. Put your stuff in storage, head for a short term rental or an extended stay hotel. Be thankful you got your home sold fast.

The alternative is to have it sit on the market for months, get shop worn and stale, then sell in desperation or have to drop the price. Isn't a real short listing every seller's dream ? So they want you out in a month. What's the difference between that and six weeks or so ? Sell your house and be thankful you've got buyers so quick. Good luck

Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Everything in a contract/offer is negotiable. You put your house on the market to SELL, not to continue to live there. If the contract wants you out in 30 days, get out. You should have already prepared for your next step as to what you would do when an offer came in. In the $800k price point, you're going to bicker over $10k? The buyer would probably laugh at you...

Old 05-23-2014, 11:33 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,400,755 times
What would be your preferred time frame? Is it that much more of a hassle to be out in 30 days as opposed to 6 to 8 weeks? Maybe you need some incentive to get out early and get it over with. It's better than having your house languish on the market. But, remember, closing dates are negotiable (even if they say they want to close in 30 days). Maybe a time in between would be acceptable.

Most Sellers would be glad to get a quick closing, so don't dwell on the extra inconvenience it may take to move quickly. Get packin'!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
What would be your preferred time frame? Is it that much more of a hassle to be out in 30 days as opposed to 6 to 8 weeks? Maybe you need some incentive to get out early and get it over with. It's better than having your house languish on the market. But, remember, closing dates are negotiable (even if they say they want to close in 30 days). Maybe a time in between would be acceptable.

Most Sellers would be glad to get a quick closing, so don't dwell on the extra inconvenience it may take to move quickly. Get packin'!
I dunno, say 60 days. We're glad, but out of breath! My wife and I have been working our butts off for months to get the house on the market and we're just kind of mentally worn out. After horror stories of houses languishing we hadn't quite wrapped our heads around the actual showings and SALE. It listed on Thursday. As of noon today there will 6 showings by Sunday + 2 calls from lookers who didn't want to visit if we couldn't/wouldn't be out in a month. So we're just kind of stunned by how fast things are happening. Obviously we want to sell, just hoping to catch our breath a little.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Be prepare to move as soon as you list your house for sale (if price is listed correctly). I would rather have someone close quick then dragging a contract for a few months. 2 Months is the standard but if an offer came in for quick 30 days closing at the price you want.. sign it. Don't nickel and dime now that you may be getting some interests.

Lots of emotions for buyer/seller during RE transaction.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:32 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
Go. If buyers want in for the summer and that's not available, then you probably won't be able to sell until next summer at the price you can get now. Timing is important!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I dunno, say 60 days. We're glad, but out of breath! My wife and I have been working our butts off for months to get the house on the market and we're just kind of mentally worn out. After horror stories of houses languishing we hadn't quite wrapped our heads around the actual showings and SALE. It listed on Thursday. As of noon today there will 6 showings by Sunday + 2 calls from lookers who didn't want to visit if we couldn't/wouldn't be out in a month. So we're just kind of stunned by how fast things are happening. Obviously we want to sell, just hoping to catch our breath a little.
I wouldn't worry about it until someone puts in an offer. Tell them possession is negotiable, then see what happens.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:09 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,417 times
30 days is standard where I live. People would laugh to think they have to compensate the seller additionally for the inconvenience of being out in that time frame.

Time to start packing

Old 05-23-2014, 01:11 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Yep, I gotta agree. Be glad if they buy the house, and get out of there.

An expectation that a seller is going to pay you more (as in OVERPAY) for the house just because they want to close in 30 days is a little naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate