Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM

67 posts, read 148,755 times

Advertisements

Many of you missed that there's nothing to fix. If there was anything that needed fixing, of course I would play a plumber to fix it.

But if I pay a plumber come "fix" what's already to code, they'll just put another brace on exactly like it already is. Then I still have the issue of needing to explain to the buyer that it's installed to code.

The question is what can I give the buyer to show that their inspector was incorrect.

Last edited by twia; 06-05-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM

353 posts, read 430,043 times
Why not just contact their inspector directly if you are adamant about doing nothing?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Get a licensed contractor to inspect it a put in writing that it is up to code. Have your agent provide that to the buyer.
Thanks. That seems like it should be good enough. I guess I'll show them the codes and the email from the city building official. If there's still a question, I'll hire a contractor to come put it in writing. Or a licensed plumber if one is willing to come out and just look at something and say whether it meets code.

The cheapest and easiest way would be for me to just move one of the anchor points of the braces to a different spot like the inspector said and throw on another strap that's not required or needed. It's not rocket science and it isn't required that a licensed plumber be the one to install the brace. I could do it myself for only the cost of another strap - a couple bucks.

But I'd rather pay someone more to verify it's to code than do some random, unnecessary things because of some inspector who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited by twia; 06-05-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
Why not just contact their inspector directly if you are adamant about doing nothing?
I'm adamant about doing something to verify that what's there is up to code instead of just moving things around to meet the recommendations of someone who's wrong (which I verified with someone who has more expertise and authority with codes than a home inspector).

People I talked to IRL indicated that home inspectors don't have any interest in talking to the people who aren't their client. Maybe those people were not correct. Do you have a different experience?

Though if he is willing to discuss it, I'm not sure how much difference that will make. If he's mistaken about the code, I doubt someone without authority or license is going to convince him that he doesn't know that part of his job that well -- even if he doesn't. I would think it would more than likely just make him mad even though though the codes and building official back it up.

Other than asking the inspector for additional detail on his opinion of what doesn't meet code, what useful would come out of contacting him?

Last edited by twia; 06-05-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM

9,157 posts, read 14,832,200 times
As long as you are sure it is up to code, I would just tell them in writing that according to those with you have consulted, it appears to meet the relevant codes at the time of installation (and if it is current code, that too) and leave it at that.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
As long as you are sure it is up to code, I would just tell them in writing that according to those with you have consulted, it appears to meet the relevant codes at the time of installation (and if it is current code, that too) and leave it at that.
Yeah, I'm confident that it meets the code. I spent an hour or two looking at the diagrams in the installation guidelines trying to figure out what was wrong in order to fix it. Since in CA the bracing being to code is a requirement for home sales, I didn't want to leave it open to a lawsuit if it weren't to code. Even if I hired a plumber to do it instead of doing it myself, I'd still want to know what's right since it's my arse on the line if it isn't done to code.

But I couldn't see what needed changed. Everything seemed to indicate that it was already to code. So I contacted the city to see if they had anyone who could help explain what's required.

That's when the building official confirmed the requirements and told me that an inspector's opinion doesn't necessarily match the law. He also said a home inspector in CA doesn't need to be a licensed contractor or an engineer. (See CA Business and Professions Code, Section 7196.) And that CA doesn't have any license requirement for anyone who wants to call themselves a home inspector.

From the Health & Safety code, it does seem like you're right that all I need to do is put it in writing that the bracing meets the code. I'd also like the buyer to feel comfortable with it. I don't want them to feel like I'm screwing them out of fixing something when the reason is that there's nothing to fix.

For the buyer's peace of mind, I'll probably do what NinaN suggested and have a contractor verify it if the buyer isn't ok with it after seeing the codes.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Actually, if the buyer isn't okay with it after justing seeing the codes, maybe I should give them the option.

1. Let them contact their inspector to find out exactly how he thinks it should be, and I'll install it that way. (As long as that doesn't actually go against code.)

2. Have a contractor verify it's currently up to code.

#1 doesn't seem like the right way to do it to me. If something is good, it's silly to move it all around for no good reason. But if that ends up being what the buyer wants, I'll take that cheaper option.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,371,989 times
I've had HWHs that had plumber's strapping tape as the strap. (1/2" wide with holes every 4 inches). That's apparently a no-no, even though it was impossible to budge the HWH. I usually end up installing the correct straps myself. Cost? $30 for the parts.

I wonder what your time is worth.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I've had HWHs that had plumber's strapping tape as the strap. (1/2" wide with holes every 4 inches). That's apparently a no-no, even though it was impossible to budge the HWH. I usually end up installing the correct straps myself. Cost? $30 for the parts.

I wonder what your time is worth.
Thanks for the input.

It's not installed with plumber's tape. The building official covered that when we spoke. It's installed to code.

One of the "issues" the inspector called out is that it's double strapped. It's a 30 gallon water heater. Two straps is the requirement! lol. I don't know if he expects it to be changed to one strap (which I wouldn't do since that's against code) or expects a third added (which isn't needed unless it's at least 75 gallons) or what.

The other "issue" is that it wasn't stabilized/braced at the back. The building official confirmed there's no requirement for that.

I didn't want to mention what the supposed issues were, because I didn't want this turning into a debate on whether it meets code or not. I've already gotten an opinion of an expert on that. Hopefully by letting you all know what the items were, we can move past that.

Last edited by twia; 06-05-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM

9,157 posts, read 14,832,200 times
You are probably making this more than it needs to be. Just tell them it meets code and you will not be modifying it. If you know the specifics, like double strap for 20-75 gallons and 3 straps for 75 and up or whatever the exact numbers are, cite that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate