Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Actually, I like all colors, even neutrals. My current living room is beige, as is the stairwell and hall. The kitchen and bath are white. But ... then there's a golden hay kind of color in one bedroom, green in the master bedroom, and a lovely sunshine yellow in a third, and the same golden color in the den.

So it seems yours is the narrow point of view, not mine.

If you mean 14 to 21 days, then, yes, my houses did sell quickly. And for my asking price, too. Win!

A bedroom with peach or green walls, a blue bathroom, or a red kitchen is a "psychedelic nightmare"? You need to get out more.
You really do like the ad hominim rebuttals don't you?
It's not about YOUR taste. I like colors too, up to a point. And your description doesn't actually sound so extreme and is probably consistent with local tastes. So good for you.

However...... The question is the sales impact of very bright colors. THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS LILAC AND PINK. Unless the buyer has a little girl to put in that room, the vast majority of the people in the world will repaint immediately cause it's intolerable. Or, they'll skip over it altogether because they don't want to be bothered IF there's a comparable alternative. I'm not talking about a forest green powder room (which I have, BTW) or a brick red library with walnut built-ins. Those are colors, but they're classic. Ditto a light yellow sunroom.

I've seen houses that truly are psychedelic. One had a rose walls in the baths with a robin's egg blue sinks. All 3 bathrooms. Another others have the bright blue boys room with a giant mural and a pink girls room and more murals or stuff like silvery reflective wallpaper in the living room.

There are a great many such houses out there. And there is absolutely no question that those houses are getting fewer showings than they would otherwise. The owners can say what you do - "It's just paint, paint is cheap," "It's for me, not the buyer," etc etc blah blah, but at the end of the day those houses will have fewer showings compared to >>>comparable<<< houses that don't scream OMG-MUST-REPAINT-IMMEDIATELY. Any realtor will agree. Yet you think this truism is false?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times
re: neutral.

I bought my house 10 years ago. The bedroom was orange, the dining room a fairly dark green, maroon in one hallway. I loved all the colors except the brown (dark brown!) kitchen, which I painted yellow. The living room is a neutral "cocoa" sort of color. But none of it screams "eccentric person lives here" like the purple and turquoise that are a few layers down.

The paint the former owner used was of enough quality that upon selling it this year, I had only to do some minor touchups- the color of the leftover paint matched exactly even after 10 years, which was nice. I had an offer in 4 days, a bit over what seemed to me an already possibly too high asking price, so the colors didn't seem to be a problem.

I moved into an apt where everything is painted white white white. It's an adjustment, but at least I didn't have to paint any of it.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81
Actually, I like all colors, even neutrals. My current living room is beige, as is the stairwell and hall. The kitchen and bath are white. But ... then there's a golden hay kind of color in one bedroom, green in the master bedroom, and a lovely sunshine yellow in a third, and the same golden color in the den.

If you mean 14 to 21 days, then, yes, my houses did sell quickly. And for my asking price, too. Win!

A bedroom with peach or green walls, a blue bathroom, or a red kitchen is a "psychedelic nightmare"? You need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You really do like the ad hominim rebuttals don't you?
It's not about YOUR taste. I like colors too, up to a point. And your description doesn't actually sound so extreme and is probably consistent with local tastes. So good for you.

However...... The question is the sales impact of very bright colors. THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS LILAC AND PINK. Unless the buyer has a little girl to put in that room, the vast majority of the people in the world will repaint immediately cause it's intolerable. Or, they'll skip over it altogether because they don't want to be bothered IF there's a comparable alternative. I'm not talking about a forest green powder room (which I have, BTW) or a brick red library with walnut built-ins. Those are colors, but they're classic. Ditto a light yellow sunroom.

I've seen houses that truly are psychedelic. One had a rose walls in the baths with a robin's egg blue sinks. All 3 bathrooms. Another others have the bright blue boys room with a giant mural and a pink girls room and more murals or stuff like silvery reflective wallpaper in the living room.

There are a great many such houses out there. And there is absolutely no question that those houses are getting fewer showings than they would otherwise. The owners can say what you do - "It's just paint, paint is cheap," "It's for me, not the buyer," etc etc blah blah, but at the end of the day those houses will have fewer showings compared to >>>comparable<<< houses that don't scream OMG-MUST-REPAINT-IMMEDIATELY. Any realtor will agree. Yet you think this truism is false?

Kids kids stop fighting or I'll put you in a corner of a lilac colored room.

This is where it breaks across regions.

Pre-visit to profile page, I predicted Kletter1mann would be from the East Coast. I live near Boston and have lived in other regions of the country. The fear of color amongst my new countrymen was one of my biggest adjustments when I moved here and still is a cause of contention on special occasions.

i see a lot of young Hispanic and Indian girls dressed in Barbie pink around my area, not so many American children. Possibly this goes across interior design as well?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Eh. Almost everyone has to or wants to repaint. One person's Nuetral tan is another's pee colored wall.

Exactly. I just finished up with the painter, having repainted every inch of two floors of my house over that dreadful contractor boring paint. And once I decide what I'm doing with my 700 sq ft open 3rd floor, that will be painted too.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81

Kids kids stop fighting or I'll put you in a corner of a lilac colored room.

This is where it breaks across regions.

Pre-visit to profile page, I predicted Kletter1mann would be from the East Coast. I live near Boston and have lived in other regions of the country. The fear of color amongst my new countrymen was one of my biggest adjustments when I moved here and still is a cause of contention on special occasions.

i see a lot of young Hispanic and Indian girls dressed in Barbie pink around my area, not so many American children. Possibly this goes across interior design as well?
No question about it.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:32 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Sent me looking:

An ad hominem argumentis when when one attacks the person making an argument rather than the argumentitself. Like the person is a dick. Dick or not (which they might well be), has no bearing on whether the person's argument is logically sound.

Like kill the messenger for the message.

When in doubt or over one' head in a debate, play the Nazi card.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
My daughter's room is currently hot pink. And when I say hot pink, I mean BRIGHT HOT PINK. Her room GLOWS when the lamp is on. *lol* She's okay with it for now, but has mentioned possibly wanting to change it out for a Minecraft themed bedroom in the future. Chances are for that I'll go back to neutral walls and just let the décor show off the theme. I'm NOT going to pixelate her wall!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Sent me looking:

An ad hominem argumentis when when one attacks the person making an argument rather than the argumentitself. Like the person is a dick. Dick or not (which they might well be), has no bearing on whether the person's argument is logically sound.

Like kill the messenger for the message.

When in doubt or over one' head in a debate, play the Nazi card.
You, my friend, have just raised the bar for bold meaninglessness. As Spicoli famously said in Fast Times at Ridgement High: "Dude, awesome! totally awesome!"

Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
FWIW, I've recently seen a number of homes with bold colors get contracts. One of these homes (in the $400-550k price range) had a UT themed, burnt orange room and it had a contract in a day. Like I said, it's all about the total picture.

On the flip side, I perused several bland homes where every room was painted beige. I couldn't make out which was BR 5 or BR 3. I looked hideous to me. Just a bunch of beige colored boxes...

Old 08-04-2014, 03:54 PM

151 posts, read 203,978 times
Go to any toy store, they inundate little girls with pink and purple! I hated it when my daughter was little, whole aisles in the toy store are pure pink with touches of purple. It is what girls are "supposed" to like but I never pushed that. We painted our daughter's room a pretty pale green (not neon). It looks clean and fresh with her furniture and linens and is quite pretty, like a Spring day , just not sure if we will need to paint over it when we list our house...

BTW - she loves the green!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate