Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times

Advertisements

sounds racist to me. At the very least I would file a complaint. All these people telling you that you have no case due to being caucasian are full of it.

The first step to ending this kind of behavior is to establish some kind of permanent, public record detailing it.... so that somewhere down the line a guy put into your same situation and point to the established pattern and get something done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Race, religion, national origin, and in some states sexual orientation are protected classes, not specific minority groups.

Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fair Housing -- It's Your Right - HUD

Perhaps you're a cynic and think that housing discrimination against whites, while technically illegal, would never be prosecuted. That's possible, but it's not the law as written.
Correct. The "protected class" in this case is "race." Period. Not "minority class", and not "everyone but whites."

In some states family status is also included in the list above, btw.

It is illegal, and if the agent(s) knowingly participated in a client's refusal to sell to someone of a particular race they can lose their license.

We have search engines, folks. It is not difficult to do a quick search and find out what's legal and what's not, and to toss the idea around that only "minorities" are protected when such a statement has no basis in fact is NOT HELPFUL. If you don't know, don't post!!

I would be calling the local and state association of Realtors as well as the state agency governing realtor conduct. It is one thing for a private owner/seller (who is racist in my opinion but I don't think it's a hateful thing, more a casual, habitual thing--you can see how such "soft racism" does actually affect people's lives) who doesn't know better to think they will just sell to other Koreans. It's another thing entirely for the Realtors, who know better, to participate.

File a complaint, get a new agent, and move on.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
We have search engines, folks. It is not difficult to do a quick search and find out what's legal and what's not, and to toss the idea around that only "minorities" are protected when such a statement has no basis in fact is NOT HELPFUL. If you don't know, don't post!!
So much utter rubbish gets tossed around as "fact".

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I bought my condo from an old Korean couple. They hated each other and wanted to live separately but they don't get divorced because it's shameful in their culture. Took some doing to get the smell of kimchi out of the carpet, but they had no problem selling to me.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Asian Realtors, Chinese/Korean etc. tend to do "pocket listings" and only want to do deal where they represent the buyer and the seller. You come in on MLS they have to split commission. Another factor is Asians often pay cash and skip a home inspection.

OK I got a house listed at 400K and a korean guy goes I give you 350K cash, no inspection you leave as is quick close and the realtor gets 4% of 350K or 14K

Now mr and mrs first time white couple wants to pay 390K. But I got to split commission, white couple wants a mortgage, white couple wants and inspection, white couple wants a big title search and this may go on for three months and deal may never close. On top of that on split commission I only get 2% of 390K or a little under 8K.

Also while I am jerking around trying to get this to close I could be selling more houses if I let the cash buyer buy it.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Asian Realtors, Chinese/Korean etc. tend to do "pocket listings" and only want to do deal where they represent the buyer and the seller. You come in on MLS they have to split commission. Another factor is Asians often pay cash and skip a home inspection.

OK I got a house listed at 400K and a korean guy goes I give you 350K cash, no inspection you leave as is quick close and the realtor gets 4% of 350K or 14K

Now mr and mrs first time white couple wants to pay 390K. But I got to split commission, white couple wants a mortgage, white couple wants and inspection, white couple wants a big title search and this may go on for three months and deal may never close. On top of that on split commission I only get 2% of 390K or a little under 8K.

Also while I am jerking around trying to get this to close I could be selling more houses if I let the cash buyer buy it.
Well your hypothetical REA better at least get to the point where the white couple (or AA couple or Hispanic couple) says, "I want an inspection contingency" before they tell them to go away, or he's going to eventually get hit with a big lawsuit. Refusing to work with someone because their race typically doesn't pay in cash is a pretty textbook example of unfair discrimination.

And really, racism aside, this hypothetical REA should let the seller decide what they want to do based on their expected financial outcome rather than simply select the buyer that will get the REA the highest return for the least amount of effort.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:

The question is, what is the 350K cash, no inspection offer was from a white couple and the 390K,inspection offer was from an Asian. Which deal would you take?

If you are accepting the deal because of the ease of the deal, no problems at all.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Well your hypothetical REA better at least get to the point where the white couple (or AA couple or Hispanic couple) says, "I want an inspection contingency" before they tell them to go away, or he's going to eventually get hit with a big lawsuit. Refusing to work with someone because their race typically doesn't pay in cash is a pretty textbook example of unfair discrimination.

And really, racism aside, this hypothetical REA should let the seller decide what they want to do based on their expected financial outcome rather than simply select the buyer that will get the REA the highest return for the least amount of effort.

Yes, what you say is how things are supposed to work.

Unfortunately, in some markets, this is not always the case. For now I'll just leave it at that.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:

DING! DING! DING! DING!

I have to say that in my market at least, this is how things work.

Bottom line, I don't think it is a race issue, it's a dual agency issue.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Thanks god we don't have this happening over here
Bwah hah hah hah......riiiiiiiight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate