Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

I was emotional in the beginning but I was ready by the closing. It is normal to be emotional. I lived in the home for most of my adult life. My situation is a little different because I did not buy a new property. I have decided to rent for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,945 times
It's totally normal - moving is considered one of the most stressful things people do, and not just because of all the logistics. A change in your routine and environment is stressful and can be emotional even if it's a change for the better.

My conflicted feeling surprised me. I HATED where I lived. I hadn't chosen the house or town but instead had chosen the spouse who had earlier made all those decisions. We had a nice house and privacy but I couldn't live the lifestyle I wanted and wasn't happy with the layout or newness of the house, either. I could not WAIT to get rid of the place and be free to start crafting a different lifestyle. Still, when we finally sold - after massive effort, large amounts of money spent, disappointments and two listings - I was sad. We had done so many projects inside and out, and gone from zero landscaping of new construction to mature landscaping and probably the largest and nicest yard, with the most varied terrain, that we'll ever have. I welcomed a newer lower-maintenance lifestyle in a better location, and couldn't wait to leave behind our jerk neighbors. But there were some elements of our life in the old house - overshadowed at the time by the negatives - which we don't have now and may never again have. Like another poster, we made a switch to renting so as not to immediately trap ourselves in another home, which I do think makes things a little more stressful. It's hard to go from a nice house and lots of land to an apartment. Still, even if we'd been buying a new house I think I would have felt conflicted.

One thing which I think is common and makes the whole situation worse for some people is the all-consuming nature of moving. We had done tons of de-cluttering before listing the house, but then once we were under contract it was just a series of this person or that person coming into the house for one reason or another, and therefore having to keep the house in perfect show-ready condition, despite not actively marketing it. Then, all of a sudden, closing is imminent and the house needs to be emptied. We thought we'd do some "goodbye" things but instead we didn't do any of them - no final BBQ, no final night around the fire pit.... just weeks and weeks of constant activity and stress.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
total emotion here.

I absolutely "get" the emotional attachment to a dwelling.

The apartment I am in now, for some reason I feel that I am supposed to be here, its sick, I know, and now (I own it, it is a co-op) I couldn't ever imagine anyone else ever living here but me.....plus it is haunted.......

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Today was pretty much my good bye. The main move was Monday, with all my stuff except things we need for the next few months, going into storage. Yesterday was getting out the rest of the dribs and drabs which somehow added up to way more than I expected.

And today was a final cleaning and that's it, I don't expect to go back inside again. The buyer is doing their walk through tomorrow and the closing is Friday morning. I'll go back Friday after closing to dig up St. Joseph and tuck him away until we are ready to move into our new house!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
This thread kind of worked me into listing. I didn't think things would be happening so fast. I'm sell my trees ,collecting the seeds and going to replant them. There were 3 units for sales last week, now there are 9. I didn't even bury St Joseph and already have offers.
I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The closing was last Friday, and I ended up feeling less emotional at that point than I had when I started this thread. I think I had already said my goodbyes so the final step didn't seem like as big a deal.

I do drive by daily as part of my normal commute, and that's slightly odd. But I imagine that feeling will fade over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate