Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I can't see this happening without spending money on your part...be smart and call an attorney asap or potentially say goodbye to your (ex) house and the money.
Agreed, it costs around $5,000 to foreclose in Virginia (don't know w here you are) with the assistance of an attorney, as long as, the documentation 1)was originally closed according to state law, 2) has legal trustees, and 3) the terms are clear in the note and the deed of trust (which is what secured the property to the loan).

The wording of this question has me nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I suspect this is a family "deal" . . .

If not, it sounds like OP financed a house for someone that she already owned and may have made the big mistake of signing the deed over to them without understanding what she was doing.

Oh dear.

We really need more info.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Problem: What is owed is $2,000. To hire a lawyer and go through foreclosure, will cost more than $2,000. This is a real problem.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
The OP:
Need to get my house back the people I hold the mortgage (owner financed)ow me$2000. How do I gt my house bac in my name
How can I get my house back I don't have the money for a Lawyer. How can I do it myself. They ow me $2000 and I need to do something about this problem. Any suggestions?

The OP holds the mortgage. She did owner financing and she's the owner. Sounds like the buyers haven't paid the mortgage in awhile.

You can't do this without a lawyer unless you know the law, can argue in court, and can write the briefs. This will not be a 5 minute fix. This can take months. Have you tried to evict them? Might be easiest to start there. You really need to speak to a local real estate lawyer. They will know your local and state laws. The laws are different everywhere.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
I just have to laugh. The original poster left a post that makes no sense and no replies and people have replied with a ton of different scenarios about what might be going on.

I think its best the original poster explain what is going on. Personally, I have no idea.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
My usual go-to is to convince the current occupiers that the house is haunted. Chains rattling, moaning, projected images...the works.

HOWEVER.

Keep an eye out for a kinda retro groovy van with a few teens and a dog.

They're meddlesome.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
If this was a contract deal rather than a mortgage, you just evict them. If it was a mortgage, it will take a long time and a lot of money to get your house back. Even after you foreclose you won't have clear title until the rescission period expires. If their lawyer is smarter than you are, foreclosing is going to take very deep pockets.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Sto...ion&id=2425273

Old 09-09-2014, 03:15 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
I wonder if that kind of mortgage should be written in such a way that the buyer would owe a separate penalty for each month that the mortgage is in arrears. For example, if it says there is a $2000 penalty due on the first of the month whenever the mortgage is more than 2 months in arrears. Then could the seller take the buyer to small claims court for the $2000? And keep taking them to small claims court every month to get an additional $2000? And use those judgments to garnish their wages etc.? Each small claims lawsuit would only be for $2000, and the buyer would end up with so many judgments, their credit score would go all the way down. And since small claims court often prohibits lawyers, the informality might give the seller an advantage. Especially since it wouldn't be a foreclosure, but just a bunch of small claims lawsuits to get payment of penalties.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:23 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
another example of if -you think a lawyer is expensiive for advice ,you can't afford free.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I wonder if that kind of mortgage should be written in such a way that the buyer would owe a separate penalty for each month that the mortgage is in arrears. For example, if it says there is a $2000 penalty due on the first of the month whenever the mortgage is more than 2 months in arrears. Then could the seller take the buyer to small claims court for the $2000? And keep taking them to small claims court every month to get an additional $2000? And use those judgments to garnish their wages etc.? Each small claims lawsuit would only be for $2000, and the buyer would end up with so many judgments, their credit score would go all the way down. And since small claims court often prohibits lawyers, the informality might give the seller an advantage. Especially since it wouldn't be a foreclosure, but just a bunch of small claims lawsuits to get payment of penalties.
Ever heard of usury?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate