Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times

Advertisements

1955 is an old home?!

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Inspection - Imgur

Here are some photos that most concern me - the fireplace crack, efflourescence on the foundation wall, and the small bathroom stains.

Thoughts?
Well, the fireplace crack could have been from settling of the house or perhaps earthquake? You can have that repaired.

The water stains on the bathroom subfloor? That big black cast iron pipe is the toilet drain pipe. (not trying to insult, just educate.). It looks like the toilet leaked at some point, or is still leaking. Did they use a moisture meter to see how wet this subfloor is? You can also pull the toilet and make sure the wax ring is sealed properly once you own the home.

I would talk to the inspector about the foundation wall, and perhaps the current owner.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,149,008 times
Squirl made a good point about the water. I think the dynamic there is reduction in flow-not pressure and it may indeed be due to the galvanized steel water supply piping in side the home and/or from the home to the meter. Squirl also pointed out that cast iron drain lines can crack and leak in older homes..hopefully you'll get some feedback from the inspector.. Is the house actually in San Diego or close by like Lemon Grove?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I've only ever bought older homes... from the early 1900's to 1977...

The age of the home is secondary for most things... how well it has been maintained, cared for and how alterations if any are my biggest concerns.

At least you shouldn't have Chinese Drywall!

I like inspections... another set of eyes well versed on making observations.

Some are very minute... others insignificant and others point out deficiencies costly to remedy.

Often a structural engineer will need to do a supplemental inspection should structural items be noted...

Just had a Home Inspection and the biggest item is the original, lovely French Door from 1955 does not have safety or laminated glass just like the shower door...

Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM

56 posts, read 117,559 times
I purchased a 1959 home. My inspection was 20 or so pages long. Most of it was minor and little things I could fix. I took the 3 main concerns and had the seller fix them. If you are concerned then you can get a contractor to price the repair and have the seller fix or credit you on them. Good luck on your new house!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:58 PM

65 posts, read 105,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
1955 is an old home?!

Wow.
This is San Diego/California. Where I live in Orange County, people refer to houses from the 1980s and 1990s as "old". I still can't get used to it, because I'm from the East Coast, and there, the old stuff/"prewar" is the good stuff. Many people have a completely different mentality here and refer to resale as "used houses." ha ha.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Squirl made a good point about the water. I think the dynamic there is reduction in flow-not pressure and it may indeed be due to the galvanized steel water supply piping in side the home and/or from the home to the meter. Squirl also pointed out that cast iron drain lines can crack and leak in older homes..hopefully you'll get some feedback from the inspector.. Is the house actually in San Diego or close by like Lemon Grove?
This house doesn't have a pressure regulator per the inspector - the water pressure was around 55 psi regulated by the city of La Mesa, CA.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,149,008 times
When the interior of galvanized steel pipes becomes occluded due to rust and mineral deposits, it reduces the flow, not the pressure. When two fixtures are operated simultaneously, the flow is reduced (gallons per minute). Water pressure is a different ,although related dynamic. You can google for more info!

Old 09-12-2014, 03:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
^^^ Exactly... as an engineer I drive me nuts when people say they have low water pressure because it is rarely the case.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
I just spoke to a termite guy that gave me a little insight. He said older homes are stronger because the wood from the trees is more mature/allowed to grow. Mature trees have stronger wood because they blow in the wind, and gain strength. Therefore the homes have more solid wood.

The newer homes have wood from young trees, thus are built like a matchstick house, very fragile.

I don't know how true this is, but it sounded pretty rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate