Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM

166 posts, read 411,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Okay, I know what it is. It's a Trelora thing. The same couple of sentences start the listings through Trelora that I have come upon. Seems like there is a reputation or a fear on the part of agents regarding how much commission they will make and, therefore, a certain amount of "steering away".
I think that is one factor.
Trelora (annagram for Realtor) has been subject to local controversy and some area agents/realtors, although obviously won't openly admit it, have taken it upon themselves to sorta blackball listings; hence the opening remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Yes, I've been reading about that and it's even so with so called discount realtors, realtors who might provide a flat fee or different packages etc. Some agents are pickier what they'll show. So the first few sentences tries to grab the buyer rather than the agent.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:39 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkaK9 View Post
I think that is one factor.
Trelora (annagram for Realtor) has been subject to local controversy and some area agents/realtors, although obviously won't openly admit it, have taken it upon themselves to sorta blackball listings; hence the opening remarks.
That sounds like the likely explanation, thanks!!

Although not nearly as interesting as some of the other theories!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:32 PM

[quote=bellakin123;36545241]I don't understand what you mean. If I'm the buyer, the seller's agent's commission means nothing to me.

And that's exactly why Trelora says before all it's listings "Dont be steered away from this home. If it's right for you your need should be the priority".

I just looked at their website. Says they are commission-free. My guess is that there is zero curb appeal on this house so they're showing the garage as the external aesthetic appeal. Usually when there's something wrong, a listing will not exactly spell out what the negative factor is and will highlight the amenities. I looked at almost 50 homes before I bought my house. "Cozy" and "intimate" are infamous words in the real estate business. I don't think commission is the problem here. House looks like it's located in a very good school district (I'm basing that on ratings, as I do not live in Denver).

I looked at other houses they are listing. These are all featured from the front and have much better curb appeal. The descriptions do not say anything about being steered away

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/204.../home/40010562

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/773.../home/34230002

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/803.../home/34003905

I don't see that Trelora has these homes.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That sounds like the likely explanation, thanks!!

Although not nearly as interesting as some of the other theories!
I have to admit, I was kind of hoping you would come back and say it was haunted

Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
I have to admit, I was kind of hoping you would come back and say it was haunted
lol! That would definitely be more fun!!

I'm still going to try to get over there this weekend and take a photo of the front to see whether the front of the house looks more like the Google Maps photo or the awful one photo that was buried in the listing.

That part doesn't make sense to me no matter what. And I looked at some other listings on the Trelora website (their own listings, not ones they repost from MLS). Regardless of any opinions local agents may have about working with them, the other listings all looked perfectly normal with nice photos and normal descriptions. I didn't see any other listings using the "Don't be steered away" type of language.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:

I'm still going to try to get over there this weekend and take a photo of the front to see whether the front of the house looks more like the Google Maps photo or the awful one photo that was buried in the listing.

That part doesn't make sense to me no matter what. And I looked at some other listings on the Trelora website (their own listings, not ones they repost from MLS). Regardless of any opinions local agents may have about working with them, the other listings all looked perfectly normal with nice photos and normal descriptions. I didn't see any other listings using the "Don't be steered away" type of language.
Yes, there are other listings with that parculiar wording. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-...from+this+home

Old 09-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:

It is hard to find their own listings on their site. Seems like most are from other companies. You see where it says which companies they are from, right?

There is a lot of controversy about companies like Trelora so they do need to defend themselves. And also controversy about IDX for that matter. With IDX one can display each other's listings with a not-always-clear note of which site they are on and tack on those first few sentences. Here are just a tiny few examples, which I noted on the sites of others (so to speak considering IDX) and Trelora's:

This one is gorgeous: Golden, CO 80403

Listing Agent Trelora Team

Description

Detached Single Family, 2 Story - Golden, CO

"Don?t be steered away from this home. It is right for you, and your needs should be the priority as to which home you buy. Talk to your broker about an offer on this home. Stunning 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom single-family 2-story home tucked away in the natural beauty of Golden, was the model for the subdivision - has all the upgrades!"

http://www.realy.co/homes/2843064-Single-Family-House-5009-Gladiola-Way-Golden-Colorado-80403

Another beauty in Brighton. At the bottom says "Courtesy of Trelora":

"Don’t be steered away from this home. If it is a right for you, your needs should be the priority. Talk to your broker about making an offer! Single-family, 2-story with unfinished basement in Brighton could be your next home! Covered patio..."

http://www.rickcavallaro.com/Web/AR456404/ListingSearch/details/?mls_id=CO-COMLS&mls_no=8929920&display_page=1&lpp=20&index=9 &total_listings=10&from=results&nav_page_id=626271 6

Nice house, three car garage. Lakewood. At "listing office" says "Courtesy of Trelora". This one is actually on Trelora's website too and says it is listed by Trelora. Finally one on their site I found actually listed by Trelora:

"Don't be steered away from this home. It is right for you, and your needs should be the priority as to which home you buy. Talk to your broker about an offer on this home. 5 bedroom, 7 bathroom home in Lakewood with foothill views! "

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And here is the version of that one on Trelora's site: http://search.trelora.com/home/Single-Family/2548-s-newcombe-st/Lakewood/CO/80227/mls3944162/mtomls/# which begins the same: "Donât be steered away from this home. It is right for you, and your needs should be the priority as to which home you buy. Talk to your broker about an offer on this home. 5 bedroom, 7 bathroom home in Lakewood..."

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 09:00 AM

I had just been looking at Denver listings so it may just be a fluke that at the moment, Trelora didn't have any other Denver listings with that verbiage.

It does look like the Trelora listings vary - I don't mean all the ones on their site, I mean the ones that show as coming from them. So maybe it depends on who puts the listing in? As a recent seller (listed the end of July, closed the end of August), I would not have wanted that language in my listing regardless of the back story.

And the links posted by cully have MUCH better photos than the listing I posted about, which is interesting. I actually read a few reviews of Trelora from people who had used them and one thing that several people commented on was that they felt they had done a great job with the photos. I think that's true for cully's links, those all look good!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
[quote=cully;36552105]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't understand what you mean. If I'm the buyer, the seller's agent's commission means nothing to me.

And that's exactly why Trelora says before all it's listings "Dont be steered away from this home. If it's right for you your need should be the priority".

I just looked at their website. Says they are commission-free. My guess is that there is zero curb appeal on this house so they're showing the garage as the external aesthetic appeal. Usually when there's something wrong, a listing will not exactly spell out what the negative factor is and will highlight the amenities. I looked at almost 50 homes before I bought my house. "Cozy" and "intimate" are infamous words in the real estate business. I don't think commission is the problem here. House looks like it's located in a very good school district (I'm basing that on ratings, as I do not live in Denver).

I looked at other houses they are listing. These are all featured from the front and have much better curb appeal. The descriptions do not say anything about being steered away

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/204.../home/40010562

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/773.../home/34230002

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/803.../home/34003905

I don't see that Trelora has these homes.
You're right. Sorry about that. I just realized the original link is a multi-listing. I thought that was their actual site...I was wondering why I didn't see that comment in other listings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate