Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:25 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times

Advertisements

I see many people here relying on their realtor when buying homes. Do people use the realtor to manage the paperwork and no RE attorney?

Every place I've ever bought I've used an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
I've always used an attorney - every transaction as seller and buyer, developer and builder.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
I always use an attorney.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
It depends on where you live. In many states, the title company handles closing and the forms are standard. I have bought houses in LA, MS, UT, and TX with no attorney needed.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It depends on where you live. In many states, the title company handles closing and the forms are standard. I have bought houses in LA, MS, UT, and TX with no attorney needed.
That's interesting. Is the purchase contract standard?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Texas is a non-attorney state. We use promulgated forms through TREC and TAR and the title companies handle the backend closing stuff.

You're more than welcomed to use an attorney, but you're going to pay the attorney to say, "Yep, that fill in the blank form has been filled out..." There is nothing an attorney can change to a promulgated form. If an attorney wants to create his own form, then the other party would have to obtain an attorney also because agents aren't allowed to help explain any contract that's not the promulgated form that we're trained on. But what typically happens is a seller says, "I'm not signing your attorney's form, you need to use the Texas form." Sellers don't like to sign things that they aren't comfortable signing nor able to get an actual explanation about.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Only in new homes construction would I recommend a RE attorney. I used one each time and had the contract amended to make it fairer to me as their standard contract is ridiculously skewed to the builder. For a straightforward purchase of a resale home, I wouldn't. I didn't for my last purchase.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:08 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
In North Carolina, the law requires an attorney or title investigation. Mostly selected by buyers, but some builders and REOs require use of their attorney. Buyers should choose the closing agent and title insurance agent whenever they can.
So, generally, buyers use an attorney for title investigation, title insurance, and recording.

Agents can negotiate terms, within the functions offered by standard NC Association of Realtor forms, and with support from an attorney who may draft other documents and offer legal advice.
If the transaction is within generally common mainstream description, not exceedingly contentious, and without title issues, we convey almost all without an attorney involved by either seller or buyer, except for the title and closing functions.
It is important to recognize that the buyer's closing attorney has responsibilities to the buyer (and lender, if there is a loan) that surpass the responsibility to the sellers to be fair and honest. The closing attorney can coach their client, but not the "other side."
I get attorney advice for clients, or myself, in about (guessing) 15%--20% of transactions, and usually on minor fine points.

If either party has circumstances, an entity, estate, bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, etc, that fall outside the real estate agent's responsibilities, either or both parties will engage an attorney. Usually, that is not a contentious situation, but just that it becomes legal work that requires the agent to pass on to an attorney.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 781 times
We are buying our first house (in NY) and have an attorney, his services are paid for by my husband's Union.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Only in new homes construction would I recommend a RE attorney. I used one each time and had the contract amended to make it fairer to me as their standard contract is ridiculously skewed to the builder. For a straightforward purchase of a resale home, I wouldn't. I didn't for my last purchase.
It's different in NYC. Every closing I've been to both the seller and buyer have their attorneys present. Sometimes the realtors don't show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate