Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 AM

121 posts, read 152,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
It's not so much that. Fairly normal in the South and mid-Atlantic here. I am wondering why the master bedroom was changed. That green strip between the mouldings at the top of the wall was a great accent. Why did that go away? Maybe it's just the angle or the color change from the phones though.

I'm also not sure how removing curtains helps, which is the only change I can see in the dining area. No curtains to me makes the place look like a sterile apartment. I'm 28 and I like your curtains and the bedspreads.

Condition is fantastic. I'm not even sure price is necessarily out of whack though either without knowing other factors. What's the job market like in your area? It literally could be that people are just not moving to the area or not sticking around. If population is declining that's not good when you're trying to sell. If population is stagnant and there's new supply then that leads to the same problem. Honestly I'd buy a house in a condition like that.

(ok, you've shown us the good pictures...how about what you're not showing?, come on now!)
The green strip in the master is still there, must be the pictures. Nothing has been painted. I tend to agree with you on the curtains but we felt like the color didn't really match what was in the living area and they are a bit old fashioned.

Our new agent sent a stager the other day and the only change she suggested was to swap the sofa and chairs in the living room to open up the area. She also suggested taking up that area rug to show the hardwoods. The photographer is coming tomorrow and it will be interesting to compare them to what we had.

Job market is good. This is a very technology and defense system based area. Lots of engineers moving here. Several new companies are also coming in, one with 2000 new jobs - not all will support this price house but many will. We are in the most desirable school system in the area, near shopping, nice pool and playground community. On paper everything sounds great. Again, it comes back to so many choices for new construction at or near this price range.

Honestly, this is it. We are retired, live here without kids and had a small dog that passed away earlier this year. So no pets in the home. My husband enjoys spending time in the yard and takes pride in it, he even won a beautification award from the city.

Someone else mentioned that we shouldn't expect the listing agent to sell the house and we understand that. After all of this time we needed to do something different. Our hope is the new agent with a different marketing approach who will keep us updated will get this done. We do expect honesty as far as pricing and have stressed that. Perhaps it is wrong, but what we were doing wasn't working and we felt that we gave it more than a fair chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 PM

687 posts, read 916,021 times
If you are retired then what is your end lifestyle goal in selling the house?

Are you moving to another town or state or staying in the same area? Will you buy again or will you rent? Retirement home or world travel? I'm sure you've already thought of these things, but your end goal is yours to decide and should be your first priority...not the property by and of itself.

I'm not sure what your monetary situation is, but many retirees are banking on their home to save them and often their 'wishing price' isn't exactly what the sale price will be. If you want to be done with it and on your way and it won't hurt too much it may just benefit you to drop the price a tad. No mortgage hassle for a place you no longer want to live in and no property taxes, no insurance, and no worries about something getting damaged or going bad.

Of course I'm just a kid. I don't mean to pry, just trying to offer insight and trying to jog the brain.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:16 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall85917 View Post
Our hope is the new agent with a different marketing approach who will keep us updated will get this done. We do expect honesty as far as pricing and have stressed that. Perhaps it is wrong, but what we were doing wasn't working and we felt that we gave it more than a fair chance.

Sellers often overestimate what listing agents do. To get the listing, an alternate listing agent will probably rattle off a bunch of stuff, hoping something will sound different to you.

You'll probably hear stuff you've heard before.... "500 different websites", open house, brokers open, email blast, pro photos, contacting active buyers agents.... throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.
and you may still end up listening to crickets chirp.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:49 PM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
How much longer will they be building new construction? Can you wait for it to be over? New construction is tough competition even if you have superior quality, if the price is similar. Once it is over, all buyers must settle for things they wouldn't have chosen and pick the best fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate