Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,048,381 times

Advertisements

I'm entering the final phase of my new home construction. Today was supposed to be my home inspection, which the builder was aware of. Unfortunately, when we got there, there were still some significant issues, such as the plumbing not being finished. So of course, the inspection could not be completed and we had to reschedule for another time.

I'm sure this is normal in this field, but I still feel badly that my inspector had to come unnecessarily, esp. since we are having very bad weather (snow and 0 degree temps).

They will get paid the normal fee once the inspection is done. But I was wondering if I should do anything else because of the fact that there was an unnecessary trip. I was thinking maybe a gas gift card? If so, what amount would be appropriate? $25? $50?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:25 PM

15,508 posts, read 40,224,036 times
Out here the inspector would have charged you the inspection price. I'm a bit confused though. Are you not there locally and going into the house on a regular basis to see progress?

Old 11-12-2014, 04:30 PM

I was there yesterday. They told me they had workers scheduled into the evening and this morning to have things at a point where it would be ready, but not all of it got done. I didn't know that until I got there today, and the inspector was already on their way. I will be paying the usual fee when the inspection is completed but thought it would be nice to give something personal to help make up for the extra trip.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,870,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was there yesterday. They told me they had workers scheduled into the evening and this morning to have things at a point where it would be ready, but not all of it got done. I didn't know that until I got there today, and the inspector was already on their way. I will be paying the usual fee when the inspection is completed but thought it would be nice to give something personal to help make up for the extra trip.
That would be a very nice thing to do. My gf is a home inspector and builders are often delayed with new home construction, and she doesn't find out until the last minute, when she's on her way driving in heavy traffic to the final phase inspection. I'm sure any small gift would be appreciated, especially considering the lousy weather

Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,247,007 times
Forget about the gift card or whatever. Just pay the inspector an extra $50 or so (depending upon his time, etc.) and explain it's for the scheduling issues with the first appointment.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
Do you have a liquidated damages clause in your contract?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Do you have a liquidated damages clause in your contract?
There is no breach of contract as there is nothing in there specifying a date where it was ready for inspection. This was a verbally agreed upon time frame, not a contract term.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That would be a very nice thing to do. My gf is a home inspector and builders are often delayed with new home construction, and she doesn't find out until the last minute, when she's on her way driving in heavy traffic to the final phase inspection. I'm sure any small gift would be appreciated, especially considering the lousy weather
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Forget about the gift card or whatever. Just pay the inspector an extra $50 or so (depending upon his time, etc.) and explain it's for the scheduling issues with the first appointment.
Thanks! I was thinking that a gas card would be a little more of a gift rather than a payment but either way, I'm glad for some confirmation that it would be a nice gesture.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,120,152 times
Stapleton, right? If it's a new build, I guess you are in Conservatory Green or maybe Bluff Lake? I agree with the PP, just add an extra $50 or so and say it's for the mix up the first time around.

I think you just feel bad since it was so snowy and cold today. It's a nice gesture

Old 11-13-2014, 08:24 AM

8,650 posts, read 22,809,529 times
Yes, yes, and yes. Golden Rule, What Goes Around, Karma and all that crap.

I buy into it, believe it and live by it. Bad feelings, a sense of unrest would poke at me until I made that right. Granted, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but to him, it could have been a really big deal. Never assume and always err on the side of being a decent human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate