Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,819,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If the issues are less severe I understand the bank doesn't know but when an insurance claim is posted in the publics records it has been part of the title search/ lien search and other items that come up and the law should change that banks need to disclose these items.

Perhaps also that banks when they fix up the items that any item fixed over $3000 needs to be disclosed since often we see over here stucco and leak issues that banks have fixed and don't disclose...that is deceiving buyers.
ONLY if insurance claims are posted. What if sinkhole evaluation never were performed? What if listed house doesn't have a sinkhole, but another house next door has. I am sure you as a great realtor check all houses within 1 mile radius of the house your clients consider to purchase..

Who do banks have to disclose repairs over 3K to? Banks are not fixing, this is where I see a problem, they just COVERING!!! Cracks on outside walls? No problem, lets seal it and paint it over. Window is leaking and floors and walls show water damage? No problem, let's replace a piece of drywall and change floors to new carpet. Do you understand where I am heading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 PM

142 posts, read 242,749 times
The toxic drywall can be easily spotted by looking at metal objects: especially AC coils. A standard home inspection doesn't search for the drywall because it involves tearing the walls open, obviously that's not standard. Don't buy a house newer than the year 2000, and toxic drywall shouldn't be a concern.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,704,037 times
How does someone find out if a home is in a sink hole area? What areas are worse for this than others?

Old 11-14-2014, 03:46 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,941,276 times
Default A good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
How does someone find out if a home is in a sink hole area? What areas are worse for this than others?
Sinkholes, from USGS Water-Science School

If it looks like you could be in a sinkhole prone region, your local geology resources should have more detailed maps.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:31 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,704,037 times
Thank you, Jayrandom! After posting the question, I did a search on a popular search engine with the question of where in FL are sinkholes. It came up with a map of FL and how prone each part/county is to sinkholes. Very surprising as to which area is most affected!

Here is the link to the article and map.Sinkholes: When the ground collapses! | The Why Files I hope it is okay to post this. I feel it is important to the discussion, esp. for people like me who are out of state.

Is the map accurate? It is at the end of the article. According to the map, the counties of Monroe, Miami-Dade, most of Collier and most of Broward see the least sinkholes. Is this correct? That map is a good starting point, but I want to ask folks who live in Florida!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
The toxic drywall can be easily spotted by looking at metal objects: especially AC coils. A standard home inspection doesn't search for the drywall because it involves tearing the walls open, obviously that's not standard. Don't buy a house newer than the year 2000, and toxic drywall shouldn't be a concern.
You will be surprised how many people are buying houses with toxic drywalls and have no idea! Some are moving in and some are renting out without any disclosures.
I know people who check the back side of drywall in crawling space up in the attic. Not sure about other states, but it's possible in Florida.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I would check any permits associated with sink holes in immediate area of the house people are looking to buy. Since this thread was originally posted in local Florida subforum, I can tell where to look for these permits online, but for other states - I am not sure if it's available online information.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,389,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Last time I checked inspectors wasn't able to see through the walls and floors. And if you are in dry season, you will not see any problems with leaking windows.
Covering the problem doesn't equal to solving it.

Imagine buying a house in move-in ready condition, freshly painted inside and outside, with new carpet and shiny new appliences... Within a year you start experiencing problems that will cost you a lot of money on repairs. After all prev. owners left most houses because of all these issues, the one you need to deal with now.
Isn't the key, "within a year" My parents sold their home that they had been in for over 38 years. I remember visiting with him at their new home a year after they had sold the old home. He was saying something about being relieved that the year was up. That way he didn't have to pay for anything for the former home. I think my parents had kept an insurance policy in effect for that first year. I am not an expert on these kind of things but is it possible that a buyer could get an insurance policy for a year of two to limit potential issues that may have been unseen at the time of purchase?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
EngGirl, you are doing a service with this thread.
I was blessed with a brain so did all those things already...
but some are way too trusting...inspectors...yeah, right.
Talk to everyone on the block!

PS I lived in Florida for years.

I'm going to add...trust no one.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 11-14-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,818,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
... and there are 2 houses for sale in meadow pointe right now that are back to back with future busy roadway and people have a right to know about upcoming road. I am not talking about changing past, but look into near future....
Why are you assuming that they don't know...? You act like a crime is committed but are you part of the negotiations or the transaction?

I went years ago to a builder in Meadow Point and they explained to us about St. Rd 56 being extended and that only happened 7-8 years later but they disclosed it while at that time we didn't even asked but if there is a empty piece of land it is ethical if the builder will disclose it and buyer's due diligence and since the plans are out there and often mentioned in the news papers and on the news it is not like a hidden secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate