Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to buy a house in Tampa Bay area including surrounding countries like Pasco county, please please please do your research!!!

Start with district/ county development plans and see what is planned. You don't want to buy a house facing "preserve" view when there are plans for new roadway running by your back yard.
Examples: Some houses in Saddlebrook and Meadow Pointe 4 will be backing up to Chances Rd (extension)
http://www.pascocountyfl.net/DocumentCenter/View/7348

If you buying a flipped property/ bank own property with fresh paint in and out, fresh flooring incl. new carpet - do be fooled! Do your research too. Most likely there were some issues that were covered. You will buy and live there till first rain season to learn you have water leakage problems.
I just saw a house in Pasco County that went on the market as bank owned property - everything is new. The problem is I personally walked this house sometime back before bank took it and I know there were 2 area where water was entering the property and damaging floors (that were replaced). No inspector would find these problems. So be careful - google the address, check prev. listing pictures and descriptions, even talk to the neighbors!

Don't expect everyone involved in home buying/selling process will be helping you with this info, so it's your money and your call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 PM

To add:

House next door build by the same builder within the same time period has confirmed toxic drywalls? There is a high chance all houses build by the same builder within that time frame have toxic drywalls!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
If you are planning to buy a house in Tampa Bay area including surrounding countries like Pasco county, please please please do your research!!!

Start with district/ county development plans and see what is planned. You don't want to buy a house facing "preserve" view when there are plans for new roadway running by your back yard.
Examples: Some houses in Saddlebrook and Meadow Pointe 4 will be backing up to Chances Rd (extension)
http://www.pascocountyfl.net/DocumentCenter/View/7348

If you buying a flipped property/ bank own property with fresh paint in and out, fresh flooring incl. new carpet - do be fooled! Do your research too. Most likely there were some issues that were covered. You will buy and live there till first rain season to learn you have water leakage problems.
I just saw a house in Pasco County that went on the market as bank owned property - everything is new. The problem is I personally walked this house sometime back before bank took it and I know there were 2 area where water was entering the property and damaging floors (that were replaced). No inspector would find these problems. So be careful - google the address, check prev. listing pictures and descriptions, even talk to the neighbors!

Don't expect everyone involved in home buying/selling process will be helping you with this info, so it's your money and your call!
If no inspector can find the problem, problem is solved. What is the deal?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 PM

Last time I checked inspectors wasn't able to see through the walls and floors. And if you are in dry season, you will not see any problems with leaking windows.
Covering the problem doesn't equal to solving it.

Imagine buying a house in move-in ready condition, freshly painted inside and outside, with new carpet and shiny new appliences... Within a year you start experiencing problems that will cost you a lot of money on repairs. After all prev. owners left most houses because of all these issues, the one you need to deal with now.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:46 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Last time I checked inspectors wasn't able to see through the walls and floors. And if you are in dry season, you will not see any problems with leaking windows.
Covering the problem doesn't equal to solving it.

Imagine buying a house in move-in ready condition, freshly painted inside and outside, with new carpet and shiny new appliences... Within a year you start experiencing problems that will cost you a lot of money on repairs. After all prev. owners left most houses because of all these issues, the one you need to deal with now.
I'm not sure what has changed in the due diligence of buying a property.
If you expend substantial funds without getting a professional survey of the place you're crazy.
You've got to have someone's Mod edit to sue if it all goes wrong.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 11-13-2014 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Took out naught naughty word

Old 11-13-2014, 04:41 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
If it is man made, it will have issues. Not even the million dollar homes not have issues. A little settling here or there and things shift ever so slightly that causes damage. weather- heat -snow changes materials. due diligence, but I am sure all homes have a flaw

Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 AM

351 posts, read 321,086 times
Home inspectors are a joke....their contracts basically hold them (and the real estate agent) harmless.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm not sure what has changed in the due diligence of buying a property.
If you expend substantial funds without getting a professional survey of the place you're crazy.
You've got to have someone's Mod edit to sue if it all goes wrong.
What professional survey has to do with covered problem areas within a house???
By the way, all bank owned properties are getting sold "as is", and all inspectors have tiny print in their reports that reads "to my best knowledge as of now" - who are we going to sue?

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 11-13-2014 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Took out naughty naughty word in quote

Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If it is man made, it will have issues. Not even the million dollar homes not have issues. A little settling here or there and things shift ever so slightly that causes damage. weather- heat -snow changes materials. due diligence, but I am sure all homes have a flaw
You are right, buying any house is a risk, but when obvious issues were covered, it's all wrong, don't you think?

I know about a house that was purchased in 2005 and had some major issues causing water damage. First owner was finally foreclosed on that house, bank took over and "fixed" it. House went back on the market as move-in ready. New people bought it since it looked new and clean and home inspector didn't see anything there. Within a year new home owners were faced with exactly the same issues first home owner had, and after trying to fix it they gave up and house went into foreclosure second time! I bet bank will cover all issues again and listing as something new.

Not all issues are easy to deal with. And some are VERY costly, so yes, I do have a problem with banks/flippers trying to cover...

Old 11-13-2014, 08:41 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Snow???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate