Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:39 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Thank you for all of the helpful replies! I did contact the neighbors this morning and told them if they can find a way to have the lot lines reassigned then we will consider selling them the back portion. So they went to the county building today to find out more information. I haven't heard back but hopefully we can find a common ground.
You do have a good current survey don't you? I would make sure I knew EXACTLY where the property line is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
It is best to avoid the neighbors, but prospects need to be warned about them just in case.

Be accommodating, and ask prospects to come back at different times to see if there is really any noise.

excellent
Yes I agree. The Realtor did tell the couple that they could stay at the property for a couple of days (still furnished) to see if the noise bothered them. He never heard back from them.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
OP I'm sorry but I'm kind of on the side of the neighbors. They probably moved there because they like nature and the scenery and do not want a house right next to them. I know I wouldn't. I'd be really angry if one of my neighbors did something like that.

Maybe you can stop advertising the house with information about how they can build multiple homes. Are you looking for investors? What about having some concern for the people who live there? I'm sorry there is more to life than money in some cases. You're leaving and only thinking about your interests and not the people who you agree were good neighbors for years.

Unfortunately for them, you are trying to make a killing at the expense of their peace of mind and enjoyment of their own property, and the property is priced too high for them to afford. They must be frustrated. I'm not even sure what they are doing is illegal. You're going to have to realize that you are wrong as well and try to make some sort of compromise with them in order to sell the property.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OP I'm sorry but I'm kind of on the side of the neighbors. They probably moved there because they like nature and the scenery and do not want a house right next to them. I know I wouldn't. I'd be really angry if one of my neighbors did something like that.

Maybe you can stop advertising the house with information about how they can build multiple homes. Are you looking for investors? What about having some concern for the people who live there? I'm sorry there is more to life than money in some cases. You're leaving and only thinking about your interests and not the people who you agree were good neighbors for years.

Unfortunately for them, you are trying to make a killing at the expense of their peace of mind and enjoyment of their own property, and the property is priced too high for them to afford. They must be frustrated. I'm not even sure what they are doing is illegal. You're going to have to realize that you are wrong as well and try to make some sort of compromise with them in order to sell the property.
If you move someplace, and want the nearby area to be unspoiled, you should own it. You shouldnt try and sabotage a sale of the person who does own it by making stuff up.

the legal I believe term is "Tortious interference"

And you could speak to a lawyer to see if you could sue them for it.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Are you serious?

The property must be zoned to have 2 houses, the neighbors I'm sure are aware of that now, and a long time before, and may be able to have 2 houses on their place as well. I don't think the seller is making a "killing". They are advertising their property for what it is, nothing mean spirited about that. The neighbors absolutely have the right to buy the place themselves at fair market value. It is below the belt to run-off potential buyers, as well as possibly illegal.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If you move someplace, and want the nearby area to be unspoiled, you should own it. You shouldnt try and sabotage a sale of the person who does own it by making stuff up.

the legal I believe term is "Tortious interference"

And you could speak to a lawyer to see if you could sue them for it.
YEP. I developed a lot next to someone who thought the lot was hers even though she didn't own it. First week I cleared brush, she called me ripping me a new a$$hole that I had ruined her view, taken down her screening from the road, etc. she was so obsessed and bitter her husband divorced her. When I sold I disclosed that the woman was bitter and mean because I built. She could have saved her sanity and marriage by buying the vacant lot.

OY...I seem to attract bat $hit crazy country neighbors.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Your realtor should be with anybody that is on your property at all times...
This will discourage the neighbors from yapping..

You could be out doing yard work while the house is showing and if the neighbors
try to pull anything you would be there to hear...

Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
This is confusing. You state that the lot is zoned for another house but also that the county says it cannot be divided. Does that mean that your zoning is for multiple houses on each property but you need all 3 1/2 acres for the minimum lot size?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
I would instruct your realtor to find a condo developer and sell the house and land to them as an investment property.. ::smirks:: developers don't care about farms and such they are gonna buy a view and so what if the guy behind the property gets blocked .. thats karma for being foolish and messing with your possible sale.
that or turn it into a pig farm or a poultry farm for one of the big name growers .. ..

Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
I can see why this bothers you, but it sounds like a new house being built on the hill would literally destroy their property value and cause them to uproot their lives. So long as they are behaving legally, which they are, there is no reason to suggest they are doing something immoral. They are doing something you don't like, but not something immoral. Telling potential people about the noise is a proper thing for neighbors to do since they don't want new neighbors that hate the noise. To be fair, that's something your realtor should have disclosed initially and if she did not then she has been acting unethical in the interest of helping you sell the property.

Sorry their offer was low, but how high did you expect them to come when the property has been on the market for months and their real goal would probably be to buy the property, move the lot line to protect their house, and then sell the other property.

Why don't you contact them and see if they would like to purchase the strip of land that they want protected and then try to resume selling your house. Find out what they really want and try to make a deal that works for both of you. I can assure you that if you continue to be blind toward their needs or treat their needs as inferior to your needs they will have no reason not to use their physical presence to protect their interests.

When I bought my home the neighbors told me very clearly that it was a quiet neighborhood and they wanted it to stay that way. Perfect. I was looking for a quiet neighborhood and they hear no sound from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate