Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Like a broken clock, right twice a day. Use it if it benefits you, ignore it if it doesn't. Of course, using it depends on the other party's ignorance.
I am a mortgage lender and I use it as a value estimation tool all the time, by looking at the recent sales in the area of my subject properties.
#nootherparty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:43 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
"Zillow Zestimates are Zuseless".
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

50/50 accuracy - how do you know which side you're on?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I find Zillow amusing only because it is way off in my area. When my husband and I bought our house my in-laws were nosey and wanted to know what we paid for our house. It's none of their business so we politely wouldn't tell them. Someone in the family looked up our house and that got everyone's tongues wagging. Our home is 1500 sft. and Zillow has it listed at 2,770 sft. It also shows the home value over a 130k more than what it actually is. It does seem to accurately show prices sold now though.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I find Zillow amusing only because it is way off in my area. When my husband and I bought our house my in-laws were nosey and wanted to know what we paid for our house. It's none of their business so we politely wouldn't tell them. Someone in the family looked up our house and that got everyone's tongues wagging. Our home is 1500 sft. and Zillow has it listed at 2,770 sft. It also shows the home value over a 130k more than what it actually is. It does seem to accurately show prices sold now though.
So you held out the public info on them?? Nice one.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
That does seem odd. Now if you google someone's address right below the map is often the sales price and zestimate. Googling my own address, three of the top ten results show the correct sales price in the site description.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I am not sure what you mean. Your sentence doesn't make sense. I personally don't feel that I should have to tell anyone what I paid for my home. If they want to dig and find out via public records, go for it. I find such personal questions none of anyone business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
That does seem odd. Now if you google someone's address right below the map is often the sales price and zestimate. Googling my own address, three of the top ten results show the correct sales price in the site description.
In our state, sale prices were not public. We signed a document at closing. No idea why our state has this or had. As stated, it now shows on Zillow so something must have changed since we closed 7 years ago.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I am not sure what you mean. Your sentence doesn't make sense. I personally don't feel that I should have to tell anyone what I paid for my home. If they want to dig and find out via public records, go for it. I find such personal questions none of anyone business.

In our state, sale prices were not public. We signed a document at closing. No idea why our state has this or had. As stated, it now shows on Zillow so something must have changed since we closed 7 years ago.
Well, that makes a big difference. If you were in a non-disclosure state and the law changed, I can see why that would be a surprise. In other states, it's all public record, it's published in newspapers, used on sales fliers, inserted into other people's appraisals as a comp - and now it's on zillow and dozens of other real estate websites that show up under a simple address search. I'm always surprised when people ask what I paid since it's so easy to find.

I'd be nervous buying property in a non-disclosure state. How do you as an individual know you're not overpaying if you can't easily compare to other homes?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Well, that makes a big difference. If you were in a non-disclosure state and the law changed, I can see why that would be a surprise. In other states, it's all public record, it's published in newspapers, used on sales fliers, inserted into other people's appraisals as a comp - and now it's on zillow and dozens of other real estate websites that show up under a simple address search. I'm always surprised when people ask what I paid since it's so easy to find.

I'd be nervous buying property in a non-disclosure state. How do you as an individual know you're not overpaying if you can't easily compare to other homes?
Ugh, oh yes we were very nervous! The state we had moved from was open about sold prices so that was a big surprise to us and honestly I didn't like it. Since realtors were privy to this info, I had ours pull comps in the area we were looking. We live by a well known university so the area has been stable for quite some time. As far as people asking what I paid in general I don't care but with my in-laws, it then moves into, "so what is your payment per month?" then insert some sort of criticism. We didn't want to hear it. We didn't even think about them looking up Zillow, as that time it was fairly new and kind of joke. My MIL called and told my husband that we were ridiculous for buying a 2700 sft. home for 3 people. We were like...whattt? BIL told her we bought ourselves some sort of McMansion because that is what he saw on Zillow.

Anyway....my point is, it's still off in my area. Shows sold prices now but the home values are way beyond that. Too bad the prices aren't true, I'd sell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate