Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times

Advertisements

Recently unemployed so moving out of state for a job and selling condo. In other words I have no money right now. The condo I am selling I barely am making any money on the sale. Just glad to be rid of a mortgage that my income no longer can support.

Built in 1973 and its pretty much all original, including hot water heater and central air unit.
Bought new carpets, sink, counters, appliances, paint for all rooms/ceilings. Basically spent like 6/7k dollars so it would be attractive to buyers which it was. Sold it before it was on the market or so it thought.

Anyhow, inspectors says

1)Replace Central Air unit and compressor. Yet it works fine. I do not maintain it regularly however.
2)Tub Drainage system does not work. Needs to be replaced or repaired. That was news to me. Works fine as far as i can tell.
3)How water heater does not work. Needs to be replaced. News to me as well since i take hot showers every day.Admittedly the hot water heater is very small and compact as it fits under the sink.
4)Not sure what this means.
The
electrical system has known flaws: replace the panel with proper clearance for access & GFCI outlets
installed in kitchen, bath & above baseboard heating

Any advice would be appreciated. Have not talked to my realtor yet but she told me to call her tomorrow to ask how i want to respond to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Did the sellers ask for these specific fixes or is this just what inspector noted?

If the hot water heater is working, tell them it works fine. I had an inspector claim my central heat wasn't working but there was nothing wrong with it. Not sure if the on/off button threw him for a loop but it seems like a simple thing. What did he note about tub drainage?

If the a/c works, you don't need to replace it. An inspector should note that it's past it's normal life expectancy but works fine as is.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
The inspector noted these.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
What inspector noted may not be the same as what buyer will request from inspection report. Inspecting report was given to you with not request from buyer?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 AM

251 posts, read 375,833 times
Not sure how it works in your location but here in Northern California a buyer gets a home inspection (while in there 17day inspection period) and if they want they can submit a request for repair and the seller can repair/credit/deny the request.

As far as electrical issues, it's mostly due to building code changes. I don't know the exact wording or specifications but in or around water (bathroom/kitchen/outside) you need gfci outlets. They are the ones with the black and red reset switches on the front to kill power in case of a short.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
Is there no more description given by the inspector? "Replace" and "does not work" seem simplistic. Generally, I've had a little more about what the inspector found.

What does your realtor want you to respond to? As far as I see, no request has been made by the buyers.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
With all of the sub-standard goods we get from China nowadays, people tend to forget that many things used to last a lot longer than they do today.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
The buyers know what they are looking at. Fix what is broken, but just because everything is original does not mean it needs to be replaced. If you have it priced with condition in consideration, and everything is working, tell them take it or leave it.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

Anyhow, inspectors says

1)Replace Central Air unit and compressor. Yet it works fine. I do not maintain it regularly however.
2)Tub Drainage system does not work. Needs to be replaced or repaired. That was news to me. Works fine as far as i can tell.
3)How water heater does not work. Needs to be replaced. News to me as well since i take hot showers every day.Admittedly the hot water heater is very small and compact as it fits under the sink.
4)Not sure what this means.
The
electrical system has known flaws: replace the panel with proper clearance for access & GFCI outlets
installed in kitchen, bath & above baseboard heating

Any advice would be appreciated. Have not talked to my realtor yet but she told me to call her tomorrow to ask how i want to respond to this.
1) Central air unit and compressor in good working order, will not upgrade but can provide 1 year home warranty paid by seller
2) Drainage system functioning and verified by licensed plumber (have one look at it)
3) Hot water heater functioning as designed and verified by plumber
4) Electrical system met code and functions, will have a licensed electrician install GFCI outlets in kitchen & bath (won't cost much at all).

Just be sure to cross off any the buyer asks for that is an "upgrade"

Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,811 times
HVAC techs have thermometers and things to check that things like the A/C is creating a large enough difference in temperature while running. As I understand it they are probably doing something like only creating a 5 degree temp drop while running full tilt where a new one would create a 20 degree drop, so you're using four times as much electricity for the same cooling effect, and taking four times as long to bring the house down to temp, and running a lot more on really hot days to maintain the temp.

I think it would have been pretty obvious to the buyers that the house is in original 1970s condition, with original 1970s mechanics and that the water heater and A/C are probably near the end of the their lives.

It will take a couple of hours to replace the outlets with GFCI ones. Tell them you never represented the mechanicals as new, you'll get the GFCI done or give them a few hundred dollar credit for it.

No one will replace the panel for proper access because of an inspection report, that's a code thing that they're obliged to notice, like mentioning stairs without risers or other things which are no longer to code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate