Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times

Advertisements

I bought a house with water in the basement. When I first looked at the home, they had already re-waterproofed the exterior basement walls, regraded all around the perimeter and installed french drains leading the gutter water all of the way to the back of the yard. The agent said the water was there because of recently torrential storms causing water to come in through the basement windows.

Well, I loved the house, and decided to put in an offer, which was accepted. My inspector confirmed the water story the agent said, because there didn't happen to be any water in the basement when he inspected.

So, on the morning of the closing, my underwriters saw a picture with the water in the basement, and refused the mortgage unless a sump pump was installed. The seller agreed to pay for the sump and install that morning. THankfully, this all happened before I found out about the issue. So, on Day 1, I felt great, because I had just scored a free sump pump.

Fast forward one week, and there is a lot of water in the basement again; this time, without a storm coming through. So, it turns out that the water table is right underneath the floor to the basement, and the water was just coming up through the concrete. So, I then spent over $6K to install french drains in the basement. No water issues for 5+ years.

So, water issues are fixable, but be prepared to pay; even above and beyond what the seller is willing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:22 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
If there is water now, There will be water problems again in the future. Sump pumps fail and are recommended to be replaced every five years. If you don't plan on using it for a living space it probably won't be a big deal. Run a dehumidifier at all times to keep it from getting musty or moldy.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times
I looked at the place again today. The was no water in basement and foundation crack had been fixed. On my first visit there had only been a tiny amount of water in that spot. The water in the garage had been cleaned up. I met the neighbor whose garage is attached. Her garage was one big puddle. She says it happens all the time.....I ran!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate