Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,888 times

Advertisements

I am on a wait-list for a low-income rental property, and I've been told I'm next in line for an apartment. I'm disabled, on a fixed-income and have an excellent rental/credit history.

The property manager has asked for a bank check for $1,400. This is nonrefundable and would "eventually become the security deposit." The problem is that no unit is currently available, and the manager cannot provide an actual date when an apartment will be available. I'm therefore being asked to surrender more than $1,000 for an apartment that will "eventually come through," but there's no time frame. I'm obviously concerned about this. Shouldn't there be language in the agreement that gives the landlord a deadline to provide housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
I certainly wouldn't give up $1,400 under those circumstances. What if something better comes along?

Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Low income and they want $1400
Not sure I would do that if it's non refundable and he can't give you a date of when apt would be available.

I would think he wouldn't even ask until he received a 30 day notice from someone that they were vacating

Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you are in a hot rental market, landlords will do whatever they can to take more of your money, and if you don't play their game, plenty of others will.

A friend recently had to move when his rental condo in Seattle was being sold. He was surprised by a similar situation, and also, that he had to pay for the credit check in advance, and couldn't get a copy of the lease until they gave him the keys. He actually talked to an attorney who said "you must not have rented an apartment lately, this is all normal now and legal." He went on to say that people from other states/countries are sending in large checks without even seeing the apartment.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:00 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Low income and you are next in line. Decide whether or not you want the apartment. If you want it, you are going to have to pay the deposit. If you don't want it, I'm sure they have along wait list of people who will be happy to hear that you dropped off the list so they can move up one place.

Be sure to get a receipt for the money that says exactly what it is for. Make sure it says that the holding fee converts to the deposit when you move in; you will want to have that in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate