Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:36 AM

379 posts, read 359,273 times

Advertisements

My parents moved into a HOA neighborhood in Minnesota, in an area where HOAs neighborhoods are the exception, rather than the rule. Since they moved in about a year ago, all my dad does with his spare time is do stuff that is prohibited by his HOA, and then complains about the HOA. He builds a garden, does repairs, cuts down trees, paints the deck, etc. Now he's planning on building some sort of screen porch and my mom is panicked about it in her calls to me. My dad just growls "I'm not going to let the geezer patrol tell me what to do." I don't see why he moved into a place like he did, when 95% of his hobbies are prohibited.

I just wonder, is this kind of thing common in HOA neighborhoods or is my dad just an idiot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:40 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post

I just wonder, is this kind of thing common in HOA neighborhoods or is my dad just an idiot?
I'll break your question into two parts:

Yes.
Yes.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:43 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
My parents moved into a HOA neighborhood in Minnesota, in an area where HOAs neighborhoods are the exception, rather than the rule. Since they moved in about a year ago, all my dad does with his spare time is do stuff that is prohibited by his HOA, and then complains about the HOA. He builds a garden, does repairs, cuts down trees, paints the deck, etc. Now he's planning on building some sort of screen porch and my mom is panicked about it in her calls to me. My dad just growls "I'm not going to let the geezer patrol tell me what to do." I don't see why he moved into a place like he did, when 95% of his hobbies are prohibited.

Having been on our HOA board for 4 miserable years, I can tell you there are always a couple idiots like your dad in every neighborhood. They fail to comprehend that when they purchased the home, they agreed to abide by the HOA regulations. Then they break the rules and get testy when the Board calls them on it.

What people like this do not seems to understand is that the Board is REQUIRED to enforce the rules as written. They don't get to pick and choose which rules to ignore or which residents to apply them to. And I can tell you, any time a rule was violated, I got calls immediately from one or more residents requesting the Board deal with the situation ASAP.

Moral of the story: If you don't want to follow the rules in an HOA community, DON'T BUY A HOME IN IT.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:

A little of both, sometimes, but (in this case) more the fault of your dad. I'd also say your mom has some responsibility here as she purchased the house, too. I would think she would have known this would happen.

It's going to be long and unhappy ride for your parents. Mom should expect to be left off the invitation list for parties and bbq's in the 'hood. And expect frequent letters, notices and (eventually) fines from the HOA management company, followed by their lawyer.

I'm sorry - but I've lived in HOA's with people like your dad. It's miserable for everyone involved. He knew about the rules when he bought the house, and should never have bought it.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Your dad is an idiot, and a crappy neighbor to boot. The fines levied against him can also cause the HOA to foreclose on their house.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 AM

Do I need to worry that they are going to be kicked out of their home? I do think the board/neighbors are very mellow and uninvolved here compared to what I've read about in places like TX and AZ. For the most part it is not a 'social' community, it is mostly retired people who are gone half the year and very busy asian doctors.

Personally I think they should sell it, because it is not the right place for my dad. I believe they could make a good profit right now as they bought it for a song and all the adjacent properties have increased in value. However, my mom likes having the lawn services, snow shoveling, etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Do I need to worry that they are going to be kicked out of their home? I do think the board/neighbors are very mellow and uninvolved here compared to what I've read about in places like TX and AZ. For the most part it is not a 'social' community, it is mostly retired people who are gone half the year and very busy asian doctors.
Yeah, they do need to worry if they keep doing stupid stuff that's against the HOA. For all they know, the HOA could already be drawing up papers against them now since they won't stop. Have they been fined yet? Have they paid the fines?

It doesn't matter a whit what kind of people own or live in the homes, the HOAs are there to ensure the properties remain within the guidelines. I assure you they are always very involved. Don't be lax about it like your dad is being. Fines can be upwards of $10k or even more. Does he not realize that?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM

No, he has not been fined or even spoken to as far as I know. Building up a case silently and then dropping a bomb does sound like something Minnesotans would do though... yikes.

Personally, i don't want to be involved at all. My dad is not going to listen to me on the matter. Sadly, it will probably come down to a fine before he knocks it off. He's rich though, so he can handle it, even if its a $10K ding. I would rather it not come to that, though.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Point out to your mom it is very possible to hire your own lawn care/snow shoveling/exterior painting if they move to a non-HOA neighborhood. And I bet the annual costs for that would be less than what they're paying in HOA dues.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Your dad needs to sell the place and move to an area that meets his expectations.
It is (or should be) obvious that he will never meet the expectations of the HOA.
No, he should not have moved in there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate